Jump to content


Eurobricks Collectable LEGO Minifigures Series 6 Building Contest


142 replies to this topic

#51 Cerator

Cerator

    Posts: 53
    Joined: 07-March 12
    Member: 27163
    Country: Austria

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

This is the contest that caused me to register!  :classic:

I have an idea for an 8x8 vignette and I'm planning to enter!

Unless we get a digital SLR very soon unfortunately my iPhone 4S produces by far the best
results from our available cameras, so like LEGOman273 I'd have to break rule #15...

#52 SilvaShado

SilvaShado

    Posts: 457
    Joined: 13-June 11
    Member: 18422
    Country: U.S.A

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

Here's my opinions on the creations in Category A so far.

Sweet Dreams - Awesome! I love the unusual building design of the dream bubbles. I think it's a great use of the mini-doll too. The bunk bed is a cool design.

End of the Rainbow - I like the use of the tire for the pot of gold. Nice grassy design. The background is a little too square for me, but I don't have any suggestions on how to improve it, sorry.

Inspiration - neat use of levels, but I'm a little confused as to where the skater girl fits into the design.

Butcher's Deli - very nice counter! Looks snazzy! I also like the floor and wall designs. I'm just a little confused as to what the red thing on the right wall is. I don't go to many delis.

Genie - that's a lot of gold. Just curious, if you have a better picture, why didn't you link it in your post?

Intergalactic Girl & Alien - very nice designs for the ship hallway. I'm just wondering whether you can do a MOC for two different figures. I thought the contest was to just pick one?

Minotaur's Tower - that's mine and well, I love it! But I would like to know what others think of it too. :wink:

Respecting the Fallen - very dramatic with such a minimalist design - I like! It evokes exactly what it needs, no more, no less.

This is a Hold Up - made me smile! Another simple design that works so effectively.

Sleep Tight - creepy, very creepy...makes me nervous about going to be tonight. lol! Really good design for the monster and the bedroom.

Surgeon Hospital - this made me laugh! A skeleton, boy that doctor takes a while. And by the way, the surgeon is female. Most don't notice, but her torso has curves and she has eye lashes. But without the lips and hair, most people, me included, don't noticed. Anyway, good hospital equipment design. I like the red cross at the bottom.

Alien UFO - love the micro build, but just wondering how the minifigure fits into the scale. Wouldn't the alien be too big? Otherwise, I really like the design. I could instantly recognize the barn and sheep pen.

Mechanic's Garage - It's a bit too simple for me, I'm afraid. I don't mean to be mean or anything, but I don't really get that it's garage. Just looks like 2 white walls with some vehicle parts. Maybe make a tool rack on the wall. You've got a start with the wrench. Maybe a few more would make it more realistic. Maybe make a stool - I always see garages having various stools around. Also, that blue shelf, you should put 1X1 bricks (round and square) capped with a round 1X1 plate to simulate various bottles and containers of oil and other things that would be in a garage. I also suggest taking a clearer picture. It's a little fuzzy. I hope my comments are helpful for you to revise your MOC. I do want your first contest entry to be an enjoyable journey. :sweet:

hmm...that's all that's posted for now. I'll be back once more entries are up. Looking forward to seeing how this contest shapes up. :thumbup:

Check out my profile & blog entries at The Brick Blogger

Here are the MOCs that my husband and I built: Flickr and BrickShelf

My Husband's first novel, The Cleric, is published and available on
Amazon (both print & Kindle ebook)! It's a humoristic tale of moderate adventure with a dash of romance.


#53 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostSilvaShado, on 09 March 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Mechanic's Garage - It's a bit too simple for me, I'm afraid. I don't mean to be mean or anything, but I don't really get that it's garage. Just looks like 2 white walls with some vehicle parts. Maybe make a tool rack on the wall. You've got a start with the wrench. Maybe a few more would make it more realistic. Maybe make a stool - I always see garages having various stools around. Also, that blue shelf, you should put 1X1 bricks (round and square) capped with a round 1X1 plate to simulate various bottles and containers of oil and other things that would be in a garage. I also suggest taking a clearer picture. It's a little fuzzy. I hope my comments are helpful for you to revise your MOC. I do want your first contest entry to be an enjoyable journey. :sweet:
Thanks for all the great advice! I really want to take your advice to improve my entry. Am I allowed to change it after it's been posted? I thought there would be a rule against it but if there isn't I'll update it later today or tomorrow.

Posted Image


#54 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

  • Beep beep!


    Posts: 15897
    Joined: 31-December 07
    Member: 2351
    Country: Singapore

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

View Postpurpleparadox, on 09 March 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks for all the great advice! I really want to take your advice to improve my entry. Am I allowed to change it after it's been posted? I thought there would be a rule against it but if there isn't I'll update it later today or tomorrow.
Duh, of course you can edit and update your entry as long it is not too near the deadlines. Feel free to make any improvements.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)


#55 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostWhiteFang, on 09 March 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Duh, of course you can edit and update your entry as long it is not too near the deadlines. Feel free to make any improvements.
Great! Everybody get ready for Mechanic's Garage v.2.0! I'll update it today or tomorrow.

Posted Image


#56 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

  • Mitgardia's moccing machine


    Posts: 5862
    Joined: 03-October 11
    Member: 20775
    Country: USA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the comments SilvaShado  :classic:
I thought it captured the feel I was going for pretty well, though I don't think you can build any simpler  :laugh:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, and Protector in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#57 SilvaShado

SilvaShado

    Posts: 457
    Joined: 13-June 11
    Member: 18422
    Country: U.S.A

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postpurpleparadox, on 09 March 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks for all the great advice! I really want to take your advice to improve my entry. Am I allowed to change it after it's been posted? I thought there would be a rule against it but if there isn't I'll update it later today or tomorrow.

I'm so glad I could help, and that you didn't take my comments negatively. I'm looking forward to your revised version! :thumbup:

View Postsoccerkid6, on 09 March 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Thanks for the comments SilvaShado :classic:
I thought it captured the feel I was going for pretty well, though I don't think you can build any simpler :laugh:

You're welcome! That's important that you feel it captured what you were going for. Nothing's worse than a build coming out wrong and not the way you intended. And nothing's wrong with simple if it does what's suppose to do. Yours does. I can't think of much to add, except maybe another minifigure like a scared customer. But then it might be too crowded.

Check out my profile & blog entries at The Brick Blogger

Here are the MOCs that my husband and I built: Flickr and BrickShelf

My Husband's first novel, The Cleric, is published and available on
Amazon (both print & Kindle ebook)! It's a humoristic tale of moderate adventure with a dash of romance.


#58 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

SilviaShado, thank you the C&C.
BTW, my entry isn't a hallway, but a cutaway of a maintainance shaft. It can be for either, or both, the Intergalactic Girl and the Grey Alien.

#59 Cerator

Cerator

    Posts: 53
    Joined: 07-March 12
    Member: 27163
    Country: Austria

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hmmm... What about similar ideas?
There is already a similar concept in the entry thread, should I enter nonetheless or should I discard my old idea and think up something new? :hmpf:

(Just for clarification: My idea is not yet built! It just exists in my head since I read about the contest... :wink: )

#60 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostCerator, on 10 March 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Hmmm... What about similar ideas?
There is already a similar concept in the entry thread, should I enter nonetheless or should I discard my old idea and think up something new? :hmpf:

(Just for clarification: My idea is not yet built! It just exists in my head since I read about the contest... :wink: )
What is it that you want to build? Some things can be interpreted in very different ways.
Case in point: my MOC:
My representation of a spaceship is rather Star Wars-like: dirty, dark, lots of greebles.
Your design could be more Star Trek-like: clean, bright, open, no greebels.

#61 Cerator

Cerator

    Posts: 53
    Joined: 07-March 12
    Member: 27163
    Country: Austria

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostLEGOman273, on 10 March 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

What is it that you want to build? Some things can be interpreted in very different ways.

Yes, well... Unfortunately the posted entry is more funny than my idea, so maybe mine wasn't that original in the first place...  :wink:

I have still plenty of time to do some brainstorming!  :classic:

#62 SilvaShado

SilvaShado

    Posts: 457
    Joined: 13-June 11
    Member: 18422
    Country: U.S.A

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostLEGOman273, on 10 March 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

SilviaShado, thank you the C&C.
BTW, my entry isn't a hallway, but a cutaway of a maintainance shaft. It can be for either, or both, the Intergalactic Girl and the Grey Alien.

Ah, wasn't sure, but it's very nicely detailed! :thumbup:

View PostCerator, on 10 March 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Yes, well... Unfortunately the posted entry is more funny than my idea, so maybe mine wasn't that original in the first place... :wink:

I have still plenty of time to do some brainstorming! :classic:

It is hard to compete with someone else doing the exact same thing, especially if you aren't sure that yours is "better." Keep brainstorming! Hopefully something even cooler will come to mind.

Check out my profile & blog entries at The Brick Blogger

Here are the MOCs that my husband and I built: Flickr and BrickShelf

My Husband's first novel, The Cleric, is published and available on
Amazon (both print & Kindle ebook)! It's a humoristic tale of moderate adventure with a dash of romance.


#63 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

SilvaShado, I took your advice to update my entry. I also got rid of the motorcycle. (It made it too cluttered). I'm still going to update it again with a clearer pic, though!

Posted Image


#64 SilvaShado

SilvaShado

    Posts: 457
    Joined: 13-June 11
    Member: 18422
    Country: U.S.A

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

View Postpurpleparadox, on 11 March 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

  SilvaShado, I took your advice to update my entry. I also got rid of the motorcycle. (It made it too cluttered). I'm still going to update it again with a clearer pic, though!

Looks a lot better! But, yes, you'll need to take a clearer picture.

I'm trying to think of something else to jazz it up...the only thing I can think of is if you want to make a second level and put a little office above the garage. I'd suggest a desk with at least a computer, a mug and maybe some letter tiles. If you have any printed tiles with car-like designs (race-car numbers or something), you could put those on the walls.

The other thing is that most minifigure scale floors are 7 bricks high. Your garage is 5 bricks and 1 plate high, so you can make your current model with taller walls. I suggest using 2 plates in there to give the wall some designs. Even if you do a simple blue line every 2 layers of bricks. That would match up with your blue shelf.

Hope that helps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now I see that there are new entries, let's take a look.

Flamenco Dancer - beautiful! I can easily imagine the dancer on stage. I love those chairs for the audience, the flag is very nicely designed and so is the catwalk with hanging lights above the stage. Very nicely done.

Mechanic - Nice design here with the car above the work pit (not really sure what it's called, but I've seen these pits in almost every garage). It'd be nice to see another angle, alongside the car. And not to be nit-picky, but I'd make sure the engraved license plate tile is okay with the rules. I know we can do custom decals, but does that include engraving?

Check out my profile & blog entries at The Brick Blogger

Here are the MOCs that my husband and I built: Flickr and BrickShelf

My Husband's first novel, The Cleric, is published and available on
Amazon (both print & Kindle ebook)! It's a humoristic tale of moderate adventure with a dash of romance.


#65 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Oh, BTW, @SilviaShado, the red box in the deli is a device that despenses numbered tickets (the white 1x1 tile) for those waiting in line. It's a Euro thing; I haven't seen one in America.

#66 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostSilvaShado, on 11 March 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

Looks a lot better! But, yes, you'll need to take a clearer picture.

I'm trying to think of something else to jazz it up...the only thing I can think of is if you want to make a second level and put a little office above the garage. I'd suggest a desk with at least a computer, a mug and maybe some letter tiles. If you have any printed tiles with car-like designs (race-car numbers or something), you could put those on the walls.

The other thing is that most minifigure scale floors are 7 bricks high. Your garage is 5 bricks and 1 plate high, so you can make your current model with taller walls. I suggest using 2 plates in there to give the wall some designs. Even if you do a simple blue line every 2 layers of bricks. That would match up with your blue shelf.

Hope that helps!
That definitely helps! Especially the advice on the height of the walls, I had no idea how tall to make it.

I like the idea of the office, I'll see if I have the necessary parts to make it.

Posted Image


#67 SilvaShado

SilvaShado

    Posts: 457
    Joined: 13-June 11
    Member: 18422
    Country: U.S.A

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostLEGOman273, on 11 March 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Oh, BTW, @SilviaShado, the red box in the deli is a device that despenses numbered tickets (the white 1x1 tile) for those waiting in line. It's a Euro thing; I haven't seen one in America.

Thanks! Someone also told me yesterday. We don't really have those on the West coast, but they apparently are common on the East coast. Now that I know what it is - looks good. :wink:

View Postpurpleparadox, on 11 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

That definitely helps! Especially the advice on the height of the walls, I had no idea how tall to make it.

I like the idea of the office, I'll see if I have the necessary parts to make it.

Welcome! It just takes experience to learn things like wall height. My husband has been trying to teach me more techniques and when we build LEGO-made models, he points things out, like the wall height is normally 7 bricks tall unless you do a vaulted ceiling.

Can't wait to see the revisions!

Check out my profile & blog entries at The Brick Blogger

Here are the MOCs that my husband and I built: Flickr and BrickShelf

My Husband's first novel, The Cleric, is published and available on
Amazon (both print & Kindle ebook)! It's a humoristic tale of moderate adventure with a dash of romance.


#68 Evrach

Evrach

    Posts: 5
    Joined: 31-December 10
    Member: 15061
    Country: France

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Quote

Flamenco Dancer - beautiful! I can easily imagine the dancer on stage. I love those chairs for the audience, the flag is very nicely designed and so is the catwalk with hanging lights above the stage. Very nicely done.

Thank you :)

#69 Darkblane

Darkblane

    Posts: 107
    Joined: 15-May 10
    Member: 10682

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostSilvaShado, on 11 March 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

It is hard to compete with someone else doing the exact same thing, especially if you aren't sure that yours is "better." Keep brainstorming! Hopefully something even cooler will come to mind.

That's one of the reasons I tend to stay away from the entry threads until I've got my own entries finalized (or at least past the design phase).
That way I always build ceations that I want to build and that I'm happy with, without being influenced by or comparing them to other entries.
This approach also means that even if I don't do well in a contest, I've still created something which I enjoy looking at as a standalone MOC.

#70 Cerator

Cerator

    Posts: 53
    Joined: 07-March 12
    Member: 27163
    Country: Austria

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostSilvaShado, on 11 March 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

It is hard to compete with someone else doing the exact same thing, especially if you aren't sure that yours is "better." Keep brainstorming! Hopefully something even cooler will come to mind.

Finally I've got a new idea... or rather an old idea revamped!  :classic:
To increase the pressure and motivation I'm now declaring to enter into the competition (category A)!
BrickLink order was sent and the concept is still in my head!  :wink:

#71 Kumpelkante

Kumpelkante

    Posts: 168
    Joined: 25-May 10
    Member: 10913
    Country: Germany

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Regarding the "theme" of the vig: How accurate do we have to be in naming the theme of the vig? I have build something that does not fit any existing Lego theme (or one that was produced at any time, still fits largely into the "historical"-category. Or can/do i have to name it something like "ancient greece/fantasy/sword & sandals"?

#72 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

  • Beep beep!


    Posts: 15897
    Joined: 31-December 07
    Member: 2351
    Country: Singapore

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostKumpelkante, on 13 March 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Regarding the "theme" of the vig: How accurate do we have to be in naming the theme of the vig? I have build something that does not fit any existing Lego theme (or one that was produced at any time, still fits largely into the "historical"-category. Or can/do i have to name it something like "ancient greece/fantasy/sword & sandals"?
A general theme will do. You could also just to narrow it for your own purpose. Just don't deviate on an unreasonable approach if you can't even associate it back.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)


#73 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostWhiteFang, on 14 March 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

A general theme will do. You could also just to narrow it for your own purpose. Just don't deviate on an unreasonable approach if you can't even associate it back.
I think that he meant that his MOC did not fit into any OFFICIAL theme.

Which is not a problem, by the way. Build whatever you want.

#74 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2101
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Can we use stickers (non custom)in our vignettes?

#75 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

  • Beep beep!


    Posts: 15897
    Joined: 31-December 07
    Member: 2351
    Country: Singapore

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 17 March 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

Can we use stickers (non custom)in our vignettes?
Stickers must be official TLG stickers. There is no exception.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)




Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users