Oky

Mod: Converting Plo Koon's JSF into the Azure Angel

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello there. :classic: Ever since I saw 8093 Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter, I was planning to convert it into Anakin's Azure Angel from the original (and much more epic) Clone Wars cartoon. So, after getting the set recently, that's exactly what I did, and here is the result:

4959775600_f0e57db3d5_z.jpg

Here is a reference picture of the Hasbro toy:

AnakinsModifiedDelta-7.JPG

The most notable modification are the large engine air intakes at the front. What does one need air intakes like these on a space craft for? Who cares, they look cool!

p1080291_small.jpg

Other additions include wing extensions and two laser cannons on each wing.

p1080294_small.jpg

p1080298_small.jpg

Like what you see? Want to make your own Aure Angel? Well, I figured you might say that, so I have prepared some instructions. It's easy to do and you only need 58 extra parts! So, let's get started, shall we? These are the parts you are gonna need:

p1080329_small.jpg

The first thing you need to do is to remove wedges on the wings with the laser cannons on them. We wont be needing these puny weapons anymore! :devil: Also, remove the dome of the astromech droid.

p1080325_small.jpg

Replace the Astromech head with a red one. Where the wedges were, place two parallel 1x2 plates on each wing.

p1080320_small.jpg

Insert a 1x3 plate between those two 1x2s. Now we have filled the gap the wedges had left.

p1080338_small.jpg

Next we will build the engine enhancements. Start by skewering two of the 1x1 Technic bricks on one of the long Technic pins with an axle hole at one end. Then stick the 3L axle into that hole and stick the gear on it. Also, place a gray 1x2 plate on top of the bricks.

p1080314_small.jpgp1080312_small.jpg

Stick another one of those long gray pins at the end and put one of the small wheels on it. Add the 2x2 plate with the pin holes at the bottom to the construction and place two parallel 1x2 plates on top of it. Then prepare the next part of the build which is comprised of a third 1x1 Technic brick with a long, black pin stuck into it and a 1x1 brick with a stud on the side stacked on top of it.

p1080310_small.jpgp1080309_small.jpg

Insert this construction into the pin hole on the main construction with the side-stud facing down.

p1080306_small.jpg

Turn the whole thing over and attach it to the bottom of the wing like so as seen in the following pic. You can detach the wing from the starfighter's body for this. Then stick one of those L-shaped plates onto the side-stud (which should be facing up now). Be careful to place it so that the side-stud is in between two of studs on the L-plate.

p1080304_small.jpg

Attach one of the large white wedges on top of the L-plate and place a 1x2 tile at its tip like so:

p1080301_small.jpg

Finally, reattach the wing and swing the part with the white wedge around. Repeat this build in a mirrored way for the other wing.

p1080296_small.jpg

Make sure that the edge of the white wedge matches up with that of the wing.

p1080300_small.jpg

Lastly, we'll build the laser cannons and wing extensions. Start with a 2x3 plate that overhangs the side of the wing by one stud.

p1080315_small.jpg

Next, add a black hinge on top of the overhanging two studs, and one of the laser cannons at the bottom.

p1080317_small.jpg

Then, attach a black wedge plate to the bottom of the overhanging hinge plate, add the second laser cannon, and attach a round 1x1 brick at the back of both cannons.

p1080318_small.jpg

Do the same for the other wing, and you're done! I hope this was comprehensive and helpful to you. Feel free to try modding the fin into the dark, more streamlined fin of the Azure Angel. I couldn't find a way to do it that looked good, so if you find one, I'd appreciate it if you would share it with us.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes, unfortunately the mouth cover of the "winter gear side" of Anakin's head does show under the backside of his hair. Just imagine that he's wearing some kind of neck protector. :tongue:

p1080332_small.jpg

Now all we need is Assajj Ventress' Fanblade Starfighter for the Azure Angel to chase...

Edited by KimT

Nice subtle but effective mods Oky, you pretty much got the overall basic shape of the Azure Angel. The wrong blue color of Plo Koon's JSF suits very well for the blue Azure. The additional elements (wing fins and blasters, front air intakes) really improves the model a lot. Sorry if I'm being overcritical, but I think there a lot more improvements that you could have done, like shortening the front hull (replacing the 3x12 wedges with smaller wedges), converting the rear flaps from flag-type to fin-type, and making the front tapered into a point. But I would assume the main goal of this mod is to put additional elements into PLo Koon's JSF to convert it into the Azure without modding the 'base JSF'. Still overall, it's a pretty solid build, great step-by-step instructions, and crisp-clear photos as usual. :thumbup:

I agree. It's like Anakin's trying to steal Plo's thundah!

Plo Koon's Blade of Dorin is actually a gift from Anakin himself, so that blue design is originally Skywalker's and he's not 'stealing' but actually giving Plo's thundah! :wink:

According to Wookeepedia:

"The Blade of Dorin was gifted to Jedi Master Plo Koon by Anakin Skywalker, Koon having lost his Venator-class Star Destroyer during a battle against the Malevolence.[1] The starfighter was customized similarly to Anakin's Azure Angel, with blue markings to camouflage it against a blue sky."

I agree. It's like Anakin's trying to steal Plo's thundah!

Actually, if anyone is doing any stealing, it's Plo. The paint job design of his starfighter was borrowed from that of the Azure Angel, which in return was based on Anakin's podracer. And according to Wookieepedia, Plo's starfighter was a gift from Anakin as KielDaMan already pointed out. So there. :tongue:

I would assume the main goal of this mod is to put additional elements into PLo Koon's JSF to convert it into the Azure without modding the 'base JSF'.

Correct, and to use as few pieces as possible while still making it look decent so that everyone can copy the design. :wink: If I wanted it to be perfect, I would have built it from scratch. Glad you still like it.

Correct, and to use as few pieces as possible while still making it look decent so that everyone can copy the design. :wink: If I wanted it to be perfect, I would have built it from scratch. Glad you still like it.

That's what I though so, since it's quite noticeable Plo's JSF remained intact. But of course I still like it, I like JSFs! :wink:

Yes I love the '03 Clone Wars so much more than the new one!!! The mods look great.

Any chance of making more stuff from '03 Clone Wars? (Say, the Seismic Tank, Saesee Tiin's Eta-2, etc.)?

Excellent MOD's 'Oky' - very clever air intake design and nice weapons too ! :thumbup:

Great work again from you and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

A very nice mod Oky!

Its spot on acurate! :thumbup:

Ive modified my own Plo fighter and will post a topic soon with some pics. :sweet:

CF

Never seen this before, seemed kinda weird at first until I saw the reference picture, really good job as always. I couldn't help but notice the black wings on the back, as soon as I saw the reference picture. I thought of these

This piece

Never seen this before, seemed kinda weird at first until I saw the reference picture, really good job as always. I couldn't help but notice the black wings on the back, as soon as I saw the reference picture. I thought of these

This piece

I had the same thought, but I do HATE those wing pieces...

This piece

Good idea.

Anyways, I still like Plo Koon better, so he's the one with the awesomeness!

Cool mod! I like it much better than the base starfighter. I also really like how you did the Anakin minifigure. It is a simple but very effective design for him.

Great work! When I get it I'm definitely doing this. I very much like what you did to Anakin's hand. Much more accurate. I'll try my hand at making Assajj's ship.

I knew a MOD would pop up here eventually... it was destined.

That's a nice one though. Great work! iI've always like the Azure Angel better than Plo's fighter. Unfortunatly, I won't buy this set no matter how many MODs you can make...

Nice mod! I won't be using it, though; got Plo in the RGS and have no wishes for another.

Edited by Brickdoctor