Sign in to follow this  
XimenaPaulina

J.A.G. - Jedi Attack Gunship

gallery_101_23_281.gif

4877526987_c09e89c901_z.jpg

The Jedi Attack Gunship is an LAAT/i assigned to the 501st Command of the Grand Army of the Republic which holds the special distinction of being the unofficial gunship of jedi generals in various missions during the Clone Wars. Nicknamed “JAG” by the clone troops assigned to it, this RGS has survived various missions involving jedis, miraculously escaping highly-dangerous battles without suffering any significant damage. The “Scratchless One” has made believers out of its clone troops, who have since then believed that JAG’s involvement with jedi missions make it “Strong with the Force”.

This particular project is simply a MOD of the 7676 Republic Attack Gunship. Even though this RGS is regarded by many to be generally accurate to the real gunship, there are still a lot of inaccuracies that’s quite noticeable that needed to be addressed. After carefully studying every corner and angle of the LAAT/i design from various photos, movie, and series references, I came up with several minor but significant modifications to achieve the best accuracy as possible with the real RGS.

4878135530_e4846c7e98_z.jpg

(1) Increased the height of the whole gunship by 1 stud. The official RGS looks vertically shorter in front compared to the real RGS.

(2) Cut-stickers from official DSS applied in front and the top cockpit for added detail

4877526665_a754837459_z.jpg

(3) Custom noseart showing the Jedi Order emblem with two crossed green and blue lightsabers below and an Aurebesh phrase which translates to “Strong with the Force”

4878135030_3c3d0e64fc_z.jpg

(4) Removed Bacta tank in the middle compartment and replaced with an angled cover like in the real RGS

(5) The cover opens into a weapons compartment (6)

4878135302_63be4c5b6d_z.jpg

(7) Removed all unnecessary random colors in the body and replaced with all white parts for a cleaner look.

(8) Removed the flick-fire missiles on the top and replaced with a rocket compartment.

4877525305_556f9b409e_z.jpg

(9) Revised door hinges for tighter closing of the sliding doors

(10) Removed the speeder bike holder and support arch for a more spacious interior, which can now accommodate a 20+ crew

(11) Modified interior sloping rear like in the real RGS

4878135980_1b6ac65a5a_z.jpg

(12) Larger wing support

(13) Modified exterior rear part

(14) Added missiles underneath the wings

(15) Added lower half of glass wing cockpit

4878135684_ee1e5c897c_z.jpg

(16) Added two clone pilots that are missing in the official RGS

(17) Added clone gunners in the each of the two wing cockpits (also unoccupied in the official RGS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The J.A.G. in Action

Ready troops....

4877527791_5308a481e3_z.jpg

Jedis Charge!!!

4877527291_9de378e871_z.jpg

Reference Pics:

The Real LAAT/i reference photos

4878137654_25916b55cc_z.jpg

7676 Republic Attack Gunship reference photos

4877527455_9118458842_z.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UP-NEXT: The Great Blue One

Edited by KimT

I like your MODs Kiel, it does look more accurate to the RGS - especially the Clone Wars version. Replacing the Bacta tank with a small armory was a great idea. And I love the Jedi shot! Would love to see somthing similar in the Clone Wars series.

At first I could not tell the difference between yours and TLG's but then I noticed some slight mods that are alot more accurate. Great job.

Excellent MOD's 'KielDaMan' - I really like the armoury - you can never have enough blasters ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! 'KielDaMan' and may the force be with you......oh, yeah congrats on becomming a Count (over 1000 posts) - good one ! :sweet:

The modifications you made look really good, especially the 2 wing gun positions and the higher front.

I like the way you documented it all, easy to see all your work on it.

I like your MODs Kiel, it does look more accurate to the RGS - especially the Clone Wars version. Replacing the Bacta tank with a small armory was a great idea. And I love the Jedi shot! Would love to see somthing similar in the Clone Wars series.

Thanks Smack. JAG's design was really based on the CW version, though some of the mods can also be applied to other versions of the RGS as well. I'm glad you liked the jedi shot, though I myself am not satisfied because I can't quite get the right photo quality that I really want (it looks very bright).

At first I could not tell the difference between yours and TLG's but then I noticed some slight mods that are alot more accurate. Great job.

Yeah I have to agree, at first it just looks like a regular RGS, until you look closely and find out the minor (but significant) differences with the official RGS.

Excellent MOD's 'KielDaMan' - I really like the armoury - you can never have enough blasters ! default_laugh2.gif

I'm a conformist! 'KielDaMan' and may the force be with you......oh, yeah congrats on becomming a Count (over 1000 posts) - good one ! default_satisfied.gif

Thanks lightningtiger. I guess the middle armoury compartment turned out pretty well. I actually initially intended it to be just a normal hallway connecting the troop bay and the front interior, but I'll just do that mod in my next RGS version.

The modifications you made look really good, especially the 2 wing gun positions and the higher front.

I like the way you documented it all, easy to see all your work on it.

Presentation (photo shoot, post-prod editing, documentation) is half the battle, I suppose. I'm glad you appreciate it.

Edited by KielDaMan

All the MODs you made look great. I think my favourite is the interior and the rockets. Although I thought TLG's version of this was good your small changes really make it look much better :thumbup:

All the MODs you made look great. I think my favourite is the interior and the rockets. Although I thought TLG's version of this was good your small changes really make it look much better pirate_thumbup.gif

Thanks Burman. Yup TLG's RGS is already good-looking as it is, I just had to do these little MODs to satisfy my inexplicable need for accuracy. default_laugh2.gif

1 - By removing the support arch in the crew cabin - did it get more instable?

2 - what kind of controls did you use for the pilots? Technic T-piece? Connected to what?

Oh and last but not least, the pic of the gunship in your sig is not a link, you might want ti fix it! I saw it and found this quickly, no worries, but the other ones are links so I thought it's meant to be one as well.

Always attracted by the gunship I am, love it, one of my favorite sets with very few flaws, you managed to get rid of them, very nice work!

Excellent work, KielDaMan! This looks even more movie-correct than the LEGO version, which I must admit was not too bad. Great work! :thumbup:

I'm really glad you took the time to MOD this set, Kiel - some of the stuff you fixed, TLG should really have done in the first place and I wonder why they didn't. You did a very good job. Your picture of the Jedi pouring out of the ship is a really cool shot, btw.

What do you think about using one of these for the front canopy when it comes available in trans-black?

Man, I just bought the TLG set at Toys-R-Us last week (they're getting particularly hard to find now!) but I don't have the spare money to keep it I'm ebaying it. But boy, I've got the bug and I may have to buy a used version of this set.

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

Great job! I've always wanted this set, but now tat it's gone I might have to pay a fortune for it. :sing:

To tell the truth I'm actually more interested in the 'Great Big Blue One', because there's only one blue SW ship that I know of, but I won't say any more. :wink:

You did a lovely job on this MOD, and the way you presented it was very clear and classy :thumbup:

that's an awesome moc that's very accurate based on the show/movies. but don't you think its risky putting all the high council members in one ship? i mean those pilots have be hard core aces. :classic:

Great job you fixed most things on it! :thumbup:

i like how you removed the bacta tank

the only other thing that i think you could add is a retractable ladder from the cockpit into the front interior, just a thought. :classic:

Nice. I also didn't really see that much change as first, but after you see the details, it's really sweet. Nice work. I love the acronym default_laugh_new.gif

I like it. Simple and subtle mods, mut they make the set so much better. I really like the redo of the bacta tank area. :thumbup: However, I don't know if this has been said before, but the wing turrets are automated, no gunner required (and no space for one).

Sir Zzz, my answers in blue.

1 - By removing the support arch in the crew cabin - did it get more instable? Yup, it did become unstable. The photo was actually a 'trick shot'. I just removed a column of trans-clear 2x1 bricks that supports the rear part of the crew cabin, for presentation purposes.

2 - what kind of controls did you use for the pilots? Technic T-piece? Connected to what? The pilots are just holding this Tap 1x1 piece for the "controls", and not connected to anything (impossible to do with the little cramped space)

Oh and last but not least, the pic of the gunship in your sig is not a link, you might want ti fix it! I saw it and found this quickly, no worries, but the other ones are links so I thought it's meant to be one as well. I tried to make to make the pic in my sig a link but I seem to can't do it anymore. Maybe I'm already at the limit of four links per sig (? - not so sure) And I think we have new guidelines for sigs, that's what's Siegfried's topic on the new "About Me Page" is all about.

Always attracted by the gunship I am, love it, one of my favorite sets with very few flaws, you managed to get rid of them, very nice work! Thanks!

Excellent work, KielDaMan! This looks even more movie-correct than the LEGO version, which I must admit was not too bad. Great work! :thumbup:

Thanks Flare.

I'm really glad you took the time to MOD this set, Kiel - some of the stuff you fixed, TLG should really have done in the first place and I wonder why they didn't. You did a very good job. Your picture of the Jedi pouring out of the ship is a really cool shot, btw.

What do you think about using one of these for the front canopy when it comes available in trans-black?

Thanks Blackice, I'm glad you like it too. The RGS is my most favorite SW ship (along with the X-Wing) so I really had to mod my 7676 RGS when I first noticed the minor inaccuracies. Obviously, TLG put the flickfires missiles, bacta tank, and speeder bike holder on the RGS for playability purposes, which I'm not interested in, so mods came to the rescue.

I can't seem to access th link so I don't know the piece you're referring to.

Great job! I've always wanted this set, but now tat it's gone I might have to pay a fortune for it. default_sing.gif

To tell the truth I'm actually more interested in the 'Great Big Blue One', because there's only one blue SW ship that I know of, but I won't say any more. default_blink.gif

You should get it. The RGS is a must-have for any LSW fan. Try saving up for it, it's a good 'investment' IMO. The 'Great Blue One' is coming, just waiting for the parts to arrive. default_blink.gif

You did a lovely job on this MOD, and the way you presented it was very clear and classy pirate_thumbup.gif

Thanks def, I'm happy people appreciate the presentation the same way as the mods.

Very well done. The custom sticker is fantastic also! Do you happen to have a background in graphic design? The one thing that I and many other people who own and love the LAAT/i feel that the original set would be even better with the side gun turrets. Any interest in adding them to your MOC? I look forward to your next creation.

that's an awesome moc that's very accurate based on the show/movies. but don't you think its risky putting all the high council members in one ship? i mean those pilots have be hard core aces. default_classic.gif

Thanks, it's actually more of a MOD than a MOC.

I agree, it's really very risky (and borderline dumb) putting all the high council jedis in one RGS, I knew someone was gonna notice that and you cleverly did. It's just this one instance when they all got together in one ship for the official photo shoot of JAG organized by the GAR. default_tong.gif

Great job you fixed most things on it! pirate_thumbup.gif

i like how you removed the bacta tank

the only other thing that i think you could add is a retractable ladder from the cockpit into the front interior, just a thought. default_classic.gif

Thanks AND3RSEN, that is a great suggestion. I think another member has already done a similar 'opening-at-the-bottom' of the cockpit where the pilots can go out. Maybe I could borrow his idea and put ladders in the front interior as you suggested. I'll probably do that in my next RGS version.

Nice. I also didn't really see that much change as first, but after you see the details, it's really sweet. Nice work. I love the acronym default_laugh_new.gif

The acronym just popped out of nowhere and it sounded cool so I used it.

I like it. Simple and subtle mods, mut they make the set so much better. I really like the redo of the bacta tank area. pirate_thumbup.gif However, I don't know if this has been said before, but the wing turrets are automated, no gunner required (and no space for one).

Glad you like it Doc. And thanks for the info, I never knew that one (I'm a bad RGS fan afterall). It's just that the wing turrets has a space fit for a minifig so I decided to put clone gunners on both.

Excellent MOD! My favourite part has to be the new bubble gun thingy on the wings. :thumbup:

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be ironic if this ship was used by the 501st to attack the Jedi Temple? :tongue:

Very well done. The custom sticker is fantastic also! Do you happen to have a background in graphic design? The one thing that I and many other people who own and love the LAAT/i feel that the original set would be even better with the side gun turrets. Any interest in adding them to your MOC? I look forward to your next creation.

Thanks. It's nice to hear you liked the custom noseart. I don't have any background in graphic design (I hope I had one), I just like doing stuff in Photoshop. Regarding the side gun turrets, I also have plans adding those when I make my Geonosis RGS version.

Excellent MOD! My favourite part has to be the new bubble gun thingy on the wings. pirate_thumbup.gif

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be ironic if this ship was used by the 501st to attack the Jedi Temple? default_tong.gif

Thanks prateek. The wing bubble turret is part of the official RGS, I just added the bottom half.

Oh yeah, that would really be ironic if JAG was used to attack the jedi temple during Order 66.