Hi Guys, New to Eurobricks, enough freinds have complained why im not on here, so now i am :)

I thought i would share one of my NXT creations which was shown last weekend at Brickvention 2010 (Australia's largest LEGO show)

It uses NXT as a well as Power functions.

I used a Mindsensors 8 servo motor breakout card as well as 6 hitechnic sensors.

I hooked the NXT up via bluetooth using mindsqualls .net and wrote a simple touchscreen program to control all the functions.

Functions are:

Front landing gear door (hitechnic servo)

Front landing gear (NXT motor)

Two rear landing gear dorrs (hitechnic servo)

Both landing gears powered by one NXT motor.

Front Cargo Door (hitechnic servo)

Airbrakes on wing (Hitechnic servo)

Landing flaps (NXT motor)

tail fin an rear wing (hitechnic servo)

Engines (power functions with IR remote)

Landing lights (power functions lights)

The NXT and Power functions use the lithium batteries and they lasted all day full usage no problems, but the mindsensors churn thru AA batteries like no tomorrow so i will have to find a new battery or go with mains power (anyone got any tips for a 6v source for this?)

Anyways more pickures can be found on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32580212@N03/

cheers

Ryan

4301499235_1c34f8264f_b.jpg

4302255034_5e1fc35e1c_b.jpg

post-9021-1264380067_thumb.jpg

Holy... anything that isn't holy :grin: This is amazing. That wingspan is insane, and it's so cool how you can see all of the inner workings and everthing. I love the detail on the tail wing. The airplane tug is dwarfed next to this :tongue::thumbup::wub:

wow...speechless...how many parts used in this project? have you finished the other half?

jaw dropping!

I'ts going to remain a cutaway, it would have been easier to make the full model but not nearly as much fun.

Its around 35k peices give or take, the seats alone use about 7k peices.

I'm hoping to take it to Brickworld in June.

Wow. That's an impressive model. The detail is amazing.

I've seen some AC to 6V DC power adapter bricks for calculators and computer speakers. They may be able to substitute for the 6V AA battery power supply. I believe it is a screw terminal on the Mindsensor for the external power source. You may have to cut the barrel plug off those adapters and screw in the wire.

In the immortal words of Rainman, "Qantas never crashed." AWESOME build! It's like looking at one of those "incredible cross sections" books in real life!

~Chris.

Its incredible! :oh3: The work involved and all the pieces... Where did you get them all anyway!

Too bad its not 100% lego though.

Its incredible! :oh3: The work involved and all the pieces... Where did you get them all anyway!

Too bad its not 100% lego though.

Ok If you are a Lego purist please steap away from the keyboard now.... You have been warned.

The only non lego part of the airbus is the mindsensors expansion board and the servo motors.

The windscreen is a lego peice that has been chopped.

The turbine blades used some glue. - because they rotate at such a high speed they flew off otherwise!

Feel free to look back now :P

Its 35,000 peices give or take, most of the peices are reused from previous MOC's including last years 8ft eiffel tower that i made.

the vast majority is plates.

The hardest part was the nose, given the crazy curvature of the real thing.

the most fun bit was the engines, i really liked making those, had a lot of fun with the new train remote control on them :)

Amazing model, really makes you appreciate how big they really are, even in minifig scale!

Loved what was happening behind the curtain too ;)

Oh my, i'm absolutely speechless !! this is extremely impressive ! i didn't think the wingspan's on Planes were so large !

The engines are absolutely beautiful, and the amount of detail on the inside is just extraordinary.

I love the " snakes on a plane " reference.

amazing creation :thumbup: please tell me you'll make the other halve for this beauty :cry_happy:

also, welcome to Eurobricks !!!

An absolutely stunning creation! Being a cut-out it's actually loads more interesting than a full model, at least to me. It's just so great to see all the details in the interior (I snickered at the "Snakes on the Plane" reference).

I'm just wondering, does it really have realistic proportions? It just looks so huge compared to the minifigs and the vehicles... On the other hand, I've only seen big, multi-floor planes from afar, so I can't really tell.

The power-function is another great addition to this highly interesting MOC, although I do feel sorry for those poor children in the choir, cause they're getting sucked into the turbines, being where they are. :laugh:

Wow! that is absolutely stunning! :wub:

Its just so big and the interior is so roomy. I love the interior its so spacious and I love all the little easter eggs you put in there like Samuel L Jackson with snakes on a plane :laugh:.

Welcome to EB

Hehehe, i dont want to get into the debate about minifig "scale" what a can of worms that is, lol, but the real Airbus A380 is around 73m long and has a wingspan of 79.8m, i.e BIG.

The only thing that is not to rough scale is that the tail is slightly higher than what it should be, but to be honest, with the "flying kangaroo" on the tail it really does look better this way IMHO.

There is 5 easter eggs on it, all aeroplane movie related:

Snakes on a plane

Passenger 57

Castaway

Airplane (flying high as it is known in AU)

Alive (the story of the soccer team that crashed in the Andes and had to eat each other, check out the two guys above samual jackson)

I have made some custom mini airbus sets with sticker sheet and instructions etc, i think i have a few left if anyone is interested.

What word do I use AWESOME or FANTASTIC ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

'Reload' you are a genius ! :grin:

Truly the sprit of Australia isn't it ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! 'Reload' ! :laugh:

Edited by lightningtiger

Ryan, no point me making a huge post here as I already mentioned how impressed I was at Brickvention. But you truly have done a stunning job, these photos honestly don't do the sheer scale of the MOC justice, let alone all the features.

Captain Zuloo

(Connor Hicks)

What an aweseom way to build a plain. The cutaway view was a great idea, the detail and size is quite amazing.

OMG im also from australia (PERTH worst place to get new lego sets early) anyway this is amazing!!! im sooo happy to know that an australian made this and am also happy that is it a qantas plane :tongue: anyway happy australia day tomorrow and this is a great!!! moc :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: 3/3 thumbs!!!

HAPPY BUILDING!!! :cry_happy:

Awesome plane, truly impressive size and detail.

Also, did you stuff some off the NXT components/battery boxes into the cargo hold there? Great idea.

Love all the little vehicles around it too, especially the tow truck. I also saw the mini Airbus in your photostream, it´s brilliant.