Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Vignette!

UPDATED!

... annoying, isn't it?

With the recent appreciation shown to the literary genius of Douglas Adams, Mr. Mandalorian and I thought it might be time to spread his influence even farther throughout the realm of LEGO, so we have a proposal.

Vignettes (following the generally accepted vignette standard) representing your favourite scenes from his many works. If that isn't possible, perhaps scenes representing famous quotes from said works, but given a different twist in some form (which shouldn't be difficult, some are fairly twisted as is).

Wait, you haven't read any? You can read, can't you? I mean, it isn't going to do me much good to ramble on here if you can't actually read, and your lack of exposure to Adams makes me doubt your literacy. No, seriously, I'm not sure I can continue on. Now I have to wonder if you've been faking it all this time, just scanning the pages and oohing and aahing over the pretty pictures. You're a fake, aren't you?

Prove me wrong! Now's the time! Don't be a loser any longer and you might just be the winner you've always dreamed of.

What do we have to offer? Absolutely nothing. Hopefully, a kind soul who does have things to offer will come along and bless us with some kind of generous offer, but until then, this is purely for the sake of doing something interesting within your community here.

What do we want from you? Interest. If you're interested in this noble endeavour, please post here and let us know. Provide some input. Add your favourite quotes.

If enough interest is shown and there are no objections from above (and by above, I mean the powers that be here at EB, of course), we'll see about making this a go.

Let us know.

Entries should be submitted by 10/14/07. If that presents a problem, we'll take a vote of some kind, draw straws, play poker, and when we're done I'll let you enter a day late.

Materials: Any form of LEGO. Yes, this could be the first contest to ever end up with a winning entry in Duplo, Quatro, Belville, whatever you've got, just as long as it has a base occupying a space no greater than 8x8.

Materials2: No custom pieces except stickers.

Overhanging parts, within reason, certainly allowed.

Digital entries will be allowed, within reason. Don't use every rare part on the planet, use the kinds of things you have in your real inventory.

And now for some inspiration:

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

-- Douglas Adams

Mr. Mandalorian and imperialshadows

Propositionists Extraordinare

Edited by imperialshadows

W00t!

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. " Douglas Adams

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. " Douglas Adams

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. " Douglas Adams

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." Douglas Adams

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams Humor On!

Froody!

It doesn't get any froodier than this, that's for sure.

Oh, and along with your words of Douglas Adams wisdom, please mention whether you'd actually be able to participate in the building portion of things, so we'll know if there's enough competition out there to make it a fun outing.

We certainly can't have it end up being me against Staudie, it wouldn't be fair to the kid X-D

Hey, excellent! You made the topic while I was in dreamland! It looks like it's better than I thought! *sweet*

Hmm, yeah, I'll give it a go. I'll have to read the book and watch the film again to refresh my memory, it's been a while since I did either. Sacrilage, I know!

Oooh, I could murder a Pan-Galactic-Gargle-Blaster right now.

EXCELLENT! I think this just might come together. Keep posting guys and once some of the contests clear out around here, we'll fire this bad boy up!

DON'T PANIC ON! *y*

Hey, you took me off guard X-O ! I was just thinking the same thing yesterday...

Well, I have already built a vignette from the Heart of Gold, and I was going to upload it in MOCs now. So, I'll put it here (I'll think of something new for the contest ;-) ).

Hope you like it.

This is the initial design with LDD, with some explanation comics:

adams_gooddoor.jpg

And these are the acutal LEGO photos:

adams_gooddoor_002.jpg

adams_gooddoor_005.jpg

adams_gooddoor_007.jpg

Poor Marvin! 8-|

More can be found on my BS account (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=luxorv). That is, as soon as they'll be published :-$ .

Towel_dna.jpg ON! *y*

LuxorV

Hey, you took me off guard X-O ! I was just thinking the same thing yesterday...

Well, I have already built a vignette from the Heart of Gold, and I was going to upload it in MOCs now. So, I'll put it here (I'll think of something new for the contest ;-) ).

Hope you like it.

I do! *y* It's good to see such interest so soon, just don't unveil all of your creations before we've started. Don't get me wrong, show 'em if you've got 'em, just save the best for last.

I'm interested but it all depends on when.....

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they go by.

Figure this to be a fairly relaxed affair at this point. We aren't even certain when it's beginning or for how long to run it, but I'm thinking it should be after the decks have cleared a bit and things return to their normal state of controlled chaos.

Do you have a preference?

We end with our quote of the moment (the previous one was the quote of that moment, not this moment, so don't get particular on me).

Plenty of people did not care for him much, but then there is a huge difference between disliking somebody -- maybe even disliking them a lot -- and actually shooting them, strangling them, dragging them through the fields and setting their house on fire. It was a difference which kept the vast majority of the population alive from day to day.

I do! *y* It's good to see such interest so soon, just don't unveil all of your creations before we've started. Don't get me wrong, show 'em if you've got 'em, just save the best for last.

Don't worry, that was just an idea I had before you posted this topic ;-) .

I think I'll have to re-read the book (for now I've only got The Guide, but I'm looking for the others :-$ ) before I can build something good enough for a contest... 8-|

I'll look forward the official opening *y*

LuxorV

Certainly interesting! I've seen the movie, but thats it, oh, and my brother made this custom figure (with paint):

marvin.jpg

marvin2.jpg

(the head is wooden) ;-)

The movie?!

Go read the books. Now. Do it. :-P

Interesting Marvin, though.

LuxorV: Great Vig! a great use of the EF heads! *wub*

I read all the books except the 5th in the trilogy. I loved them. Awesome books, and a great author. Douglas Adams ftw!

I'm interested in entering. However, I seem to have 'misplaced' my camera. Which is a shame because I have some simple vignettes showing off my custom Agent 47 and The Punisher minifigs that I was wanting to share. :-(

Please don't forget Douglas Adams' other works, other then HHTTG (though that is his masterpiece). Dirk Gently, for example.

I read all the books except the 5th in the trilogy. I loved them. Awesome books, and a great author.

I've read all the books, but I only actually own the first four. For some reason, the only 'coolection' I could find when I was looking to buy the books was the 'trilogy of four' as opposed to the complete 'trilogy of five.' I'm still on the lookout for that elusive book though...

The movie?!

Go read the books. Now. Do it. :-P

Interesting Marvin, though.

Ok, ok, sheesh. Its just a book! :-P

Oh, God, I'm gonna get clobbered for that one! :-D

I own the full book of the series. I was brought about to it by my friends, who like to talk about Douglas's quotes at school.

I suggest that everyone try to bring a towel around with them on Towel Day, when it comes around. It's tons of fun. *sweet*

Can I enter this? DNA is a personal hero of mine. I'm new to doing vignettes (only posted my first one here today) but I'd like to do something if nothing else to honour his memory.

Dr. S.

Of course, it's open to everyone. It doesn't matter about the vignette- I don't even have an idea yet. X-D