LDD MOC: Midi Venator-class Republic Attack Cruiser

19 replies to this topic

#1 Gunner

Gunner

Member: 13020

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Posted Image
Hello again!

I present you my Venator-class Star Destroyer in Midi-Scale. It has 697 pieces and is not in scale with 8099 - Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer. Critics and comments are welcome as always. Enjoy!

Reference:
Posted Image

My model:
Posted Image

Side view:
Posted Image
With a little stand, like 8099.

Top view:
Posted Image

Underside:
Posted Image

There's a ship approaching (WIP). Can you guess what it is?
Posted Image

Brickshelf: My Gallery (when public)

Gunner

#2 BrickArtist

BrickArtist

Member: 13835

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:53 AM

Wow lots of MOCs these days.

Not bad, although the back looks funny because it comes in way to much, and the hangar bay is relatively over sized. Will we see it in the bricks?  :wink:
Former Star Wars fan? Looking for Knights? Go here to trade with me!
"So take a shower a shower and shine your shoes, you got no time to lose, your a young man you must be living. " Best song ever, The General By dispatch--Check it out now!
Most recent MOC: BARC Speeder: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=77126
Be sure to check out my most recent MOCs,Naboo Starfighter, UCS Swamp Speeder, and the UCS BARC speeder.

I have obsessive compulsive BARC disorder...

KOTBR: http://the-lsw-empir...otion.com/forum

#3 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

That's a pretty good rendition of the Venator in midi-scale LDD design Gunner! I think you got the basic elements and overall shape right relative to its scale. The only thing I'd suggest is to make the top of the tower bridges dark red, like in the reference image. Still, I like this one, very well done! :thumbup:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#4 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

Member: 4964

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:55 AM

Gunner, this is truly fantastic! A great example of what can be done in the midi-scale. The use of the core from 8099 was an excellent choice (something several people stressed while dicussing Blackknight112’s rendition), and the fact that you’ve done all this in LDD is even more impressive!

I think my favorite part of this would have to be the bridge tower area, because you’ve captured that area really accurately, which of course looks quite nice. The inclusion of all eight turbolaser batteries is another nice detail, as well as the boosters which look great.

Moving on to areas that I think could be improved...

Like 8099, this model appears to have a noticeable gap in the front of the nose. I don’t know whether you could actually seal the gap while retaining the core, but at the very least you could put some bricks in there so it wouldn’t look so empty.

Judging from this picture, I think the hangar bay (and maybe just the whole ship in general) is a tad fat. Again, I think this could be due to the use of the 8099 core. It does appear that you’ve done some work in making the core thinner, but maybe just a bit more.

Speaking  of the top view, it looks like you’ve got some  angles to fix. It’s definitely too thin in that area, as well as too rectangular, which kills the overall shape. You can also see that the red stripe down the middle could be shortened slightly.

Like 8099 it looks like this has some random dark grey here and there. Now there does appear to be some dark spots on the Venator’s hull, but I think your placement of the spots could be better.

As for the approaching ship, that looks an awful lot like a Providence carrier...

KielDaMan, I think that the bridge is supposed to be gray. I don’t know where that CGI model came from, but it’s certainly not from the film.

#5 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

View Postfallenangel309, on 25 February 2011 - 04:55 AM, said:

KielDaMan, I think that the bridge is supposed to be gray. I don’t know where that CGI model came from, but it’s certainly not from the film.
I think the Venators in the CW series have these dark red bridges, like this one and this one, which are different from the grey ones from the movies.

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

#6 Cad Bane

Cad Bane

Member: 14659

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

Yes, the Venators from TCW do have red bridges, but those are only supposed to be the command ships or flagships. The rest are gray. The Resolute, Anakin's flagship had a red bridge for example. Some reference pics from the show: Venator at Christophsis Storm over Ryloth
There's more but those are decent.
"Not so impressive without your lightsaber, are you, Jedi." -Cad Bane
Avatar created by Jebediahs! Thanks!
My Brickshelf
My Flickr

#7 CallMePie

CallMePie

• DAMN Heroica badass

Member: 7199

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

I like this. It's accurate and seems like a set TLG would actually produce. Good work.  :thumbup: Looks a bit short and fat, though.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 34 Regulator in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 5 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#8 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostCad Bane, on 25 February 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

Yes, the Venators from TCW do have red bridges, but those are only supposed to be the command ships or flagships. The rest are gray. The Resolute, Anakin's flagship had a red bridge for example. Some reference pics from the show: Venator at Christophsis Storm over Ryloth
There's more but those are decent.
Yeah you're right, the command ships do have dark red bridges and the normal ones have grey. I also noticed that the command ships have 5 red strips at each side while the regular ones only have three each, based on this image.

Posted Image

#9 Commander Laquiet

Commander Laquiet

Member: 4498

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostCallMePie, on 25 February 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

I like this. It's accurate and seems like a set TLG would actually produce.

I agree. I am no expert, and I think this looks very accurate at a careful glance. I love all the detailing, and this really is the sort of thing a Lego designer might come up with. Great MOC.
:thumbup:
Posted Image

#10 Ritz Brick

Ritz Brick

Member: 12527

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I'm loving this, great use of the 8099 structure, works really well for this one.
Posted Image

#11 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Really nice work Gunner.
blogged
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

#12 starwarsfanatic

starwarsfanatic

• Learns something new every day (almost)

Member: 7599

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

That's good. Another person who can make models with LDD. I know I can't.
I mainly use Lego to make films:
LATEST FILM: Darth Bonehead goes to Earth
NEXT FILM: Lego Doctor Who Spoof

Check out my youtube my website

#13 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

Member: 4964

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

View PostCommander Laquiet, on 25 February 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

I agree. I am no expert, and I think this looks very accurate at a careful glance.

You meant 'casual glance', right? Because what I did was basically a careful glance. And 'but' rather than 'and' for the conjunction - it's likely that accuracy wouldn't be noticeable to someone who's 'no expert' on the subject, especially for LEGO (why do you think people buy 6212?).

KielDaMan, that's very interesting. Was the red designation also true of the Venators in the '03 Clone Wars, or is this unique to the '08 series? (In other words, is it a retcon or not? :tongue: )

#14 Lord Starkiller

Lord Starkiller

Member: 8901

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

Wow! Amazing! Could you check how much this would cost? i have a theory that LDD is more Expensive than Fortnum & Masons Back in 1851.
Don't ask about my Capitalization.                                                                                                                                                                                  

Ignorance is Bliss, so you must be Very Blissful!

Spread the Fail Whale.
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

#15 Cad Bane

Cad Bane

Member: 14659

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

View Postfallenangel309, on 25 February 2011 - 09:27 PM, said:

KielDaMan, that's very interesting. Was the red designation also true of the Venators in the '03 Clone Wars, or is this unique to the '08 series? (In other words, is it a retcon or not? :tongue: )

I know you didn't ask me, but I was curious and did some research. I looked for images of Venators from the '03 series and it looks as if all of them are gray bridged and have five stripes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong though. I have not seen the '03 series and found the pics through Wookieepedia)

Here's some pics: Impavid Below the ship Space Battle

Also, I think they're gray and 5-striped in ROTS as well...
"Not so impressive without your lightsaber, are you, Jedi." -Cad Bane
Avatar created by Jebediahs! Thanks!
My Brickshelf
My Flickr

#16 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Nice job, Gunner. I too think that the side docking bays are too tall and that section is too skinny (viewed from above), but the others have basically covered it all.

I look forward to seeing that WIP completed.

#17 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Very nice!  I could never build something like this in LDD.  My building style just wouldn't allow it. :grin:   Can't believe I missed this.....
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#18 Legostein

Legostein

• I'm a million!

Member: 1505

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hello!

A fantastic medium-sized Venator Attack Cruiser! Wonderfully detailed and cleverly using the techniques of the official medium Star Destroyer! :classic:

Congratulations on this perfectly turned out version! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#19 Solscud007

Solscud007

Member: 12637

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

Might you share the LDD file?

#20 Gunner

Gunner

Member: 13020

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Thanks everyone, for the comments and critics, on which I will work. Yes, the ship is a tad fat, but I am working on it. I am improving the model (especially in the hangar bay e angles to fix), so I won't be sharing the LDD file yet. I will when my other WIP is finished, in the proper topic to be posted.
As for a brickbuilt version I say it's impossible for me. The prices of LEGO where I live are almost unaffordable. For example, when I bought my 7674 V-19 Torrent I paid R$318,00 something like US$ 191,40. Bricklink is out of my reach, for now.

Gunner

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users