Sign in to follow this  
Yzalirk

Book II Challenge III Cat. A - Dwarven Obelisk

This is my build for Category A for the Dwarven side of the challenge. I know it's probably not what anyone was expecting but it's something different and goes pretty good with Kaliphlin.

The party lead by Commander Jabod has reached quite an odd structure found out in the Siccus Badlands while heading north to Avalonia to help Dwarves gain equality. The Obelisk was built by some of the earlier surface Dwarves from about 1,000 years ago to, from what everyone believes, to praise their new God in the sun. Of course, their are plenty of Dwarves who think that is all bunk.

Fr5xILn.jpg

"Well my my, look at that," says Commander Jabod, "isn't she just magnificent?"

"She?" asks Mhinak, "What do you mean she? It's just a giant... pillar."

"Ah, I suppose you are one of those people who believe it's all bunk. Shall I give you a bit of a history lesson?"

"Maybe some other time, sure, but for now, give me a quick run-down of what I'm looking at."

"Well, this here is an Obelisk that looks like it was built by some of the earliest surface Dwarves known to date," explains Jabod, "and, for all we know it's to honor the Sun that our ancestors had never seen before."

"Thanks for the history lesson, Jabod, but we really should get going. The bandits out here aren't the type of people to chat with."

"Very well than, let's get goin' boys!"

Pm0ailA.jpg

The party continues to stare at the Dwarven Obelisk for a few seconds later until they get bored and continue to move on towards Avalonia. They still have quite the walk to go and being stuck in the badlands of Kaliphlin definitely isn't a good thing.

Interesting build and story! Nice forced perspective but yeah, the bush throws it off a little. Anyways, a lot of suspense packed into this build, reminds me of 2001 Space Odyssey!

Very interesting and unique story, I love how the build draws your eyes to the obelisk. I love how the dwarves are standing in a slight semi-circle, as if they are respecting the statue. The lighting in the scene is excellent as well, well done!

Nicely done, Goliath!

The lighting and placement in these photos is very dramatic! I like the use of forced perspective, though I agree about the bush. (I made the same mistake in a build once where the bush would be perceived to be about 20-30 feet tall :look:!) Maybe you had not intended the obelisk to be much larger than actual scale? Anyways, nice build, especially the staging and photography!

Really like this one, but agree that the forced perspective would work better without that bush.

Thank you all for the kind comments, they really mean a lot to me. :classic:

I'll be honest though, I didn't really intend for it to have the illusion of it being in the distance but, now that you guys mention it, I like that better. So bush was originally to break up a bit of the barren landscape but it does ruin the forced perspective shot unless the bush was something like this which is just a large bush. Overall, I wanted to take a very different approach and I'm glad you guys like it despite it being a different concept in the crowd. :grin:

Edited by Goliath

I like the obelisk! The lightning of the photo is also very intresting! My favourite build from, you!