Yzalirk

A Post-Apocalyptic Section?

Post-Apocalyptic Section?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be a Post-Apocalyptic section (like GoH) sometime in the future?

I've just gotten this thought if there will ever be a section, like Guilds of Historica, but based around a Post-Apocalyptic Earth/world? I think it would be cool to do and it's very creative for people to come up with their own sig-fig with a story, occupation, and colony. The colnies would be just the the guilds in GoH but with given names and based around certain task, like a colony of raiders/bandits, a colony based around justice, mercenaries, and survivors. Those are just a few basic ideas. I can see a lot of potential for this section if it were to happen and it would be fun participate/join in.

So here's what I ask you guys on what do you think of the idea and what not. Do you support the idea or oppose it? If you oppose it, please explain so I can get a better understanding on why it would be a bad idea. Thanks. :classic:

I think its an awesome idea! And you can have mutated monsters and humans!

That's what also makes me like the idea. There are tons of ideas for different mutants and different types of people - good or bad.

And thanks for being the first supporter because now I feel more confident and better about the idea! :grin:

I'm not saying your idea is bad, if enough people are interested it could be successful. However, I think there's already groups like this on Flickr and MOCpages. Also, if you do start this, I don't see you getting a specific forum for a long time.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, if enough people are interested it could be successful. However, I think there's already groups like this on Flickr and MOCpages. Also, if you do start this, I don't see you getting a specific forum for a long time.

I do see your points but with GoH, it seems like most people stumbled onto it and quickly got interested. I can see the same potential for a Post-Apocalyptic section just like GoH. I also think it'd be a bit more organized having it on EB but I can easily argue that why isn't Guilds of Histroica just on MOCpages or Flickr and not here on EB? It's easy to make things look run down, even if you don't have a very large LEGO collection like a lot of members. I think it's something that should be considered nonetheless.

Pretty sure GoH started with castle MOCs in the Historic theme and had to really grow before it got its own forum. I also think that having EB mods/admins involved with MOCing helps a theme's chance of getting its own MOCiverse subforum. Maybe some people who've been on EB longer than I have (only been here since April) can weigh in on how stuff like Pirate MOCs, GoH, SoNE, etc got started on EB.

I know there are Scifi and Pirates MOCiverses in some form of development but they are being done by small groups (Pirates) or individuals (Scifi) in a closed, private manner which I'm not personally in favor of. That could be because I'm used to play FATE (tabeltop RPG) where stories and worlds are created collaboratively all the way through.

I can easily argue that why isn't Guilds of Histroica just on MOCpages or Flickr and not here on EB?

GoH was concieved, designed, and run by Eurobricks staff/sr.members. It didn't "just happen" or get thrown together on a Flickr group or something like that, so that would be the difference between GoH and anything you'd find out in the wild that seems similar. It was running for over a year before a subforum was created.

And, might I add, the subforum was created so as to keep everything nice and tidy as the overwhelming number of MOCs related to GoH were sort of smothering anything else! Heroica used to be in the main Gaming forum too!

Heroica used to be in the main Gaming forum too!

There could also be one not based on a Medieval theme. :wink:

Having a Post-Apocalyptic section similar to that of GoH or SoNE would be cool and fun and I still think it should be considered. It has potential and can grow. This happened with the early stages of both GoH and SoNE. So if a Post-Apocalyptic section were to be created, that would be awesome and be the coolest thing ever and there would be lots of potential for people to have fun, join in on challenges, create cool MOCs, and create interesting stories and adventures with their sig-figs. Think of the it having something similar to GoH chapters and XP like SoNE.

I could elaborate more as to how this little section would operate if you guys want me to and maybe that'll help with an opinion?

While it would be cool, it is kinda covered under science fiction.

That's why it can be a sub-forum similar to SoNE and GoH but categorized in the Science-Fiction section. That way it keeps the traditional Science-Fiction MOCs separate from Post-Apocalyptic MOCs so they aren't hard to find. It also helps with organization is what I'm trying to get at as well.

A Post-Apoc subforum has been suggested by members and discussed before, if I remember correctly. Basically what it boils down to is that there aren't enough Post-Apoc MOCs and discussion topics to make sense for it to have a separate forum or subforum, especially since TLG has never made Post-Apoc sets and in all likelihood never will. Among such subthemes, Post-Apoc probably isn't even the frontrunner — there are arguably FOL-created subthemes that are more deserving of a subforum, such as Steampunk (And I'm not saying that Steampunk deserves its own subforum either; I'm just using it as an example of an FOL-created theme that I see more activity in compared to Post-Apoc.).

As for a Post-Apoc-themed community build, assuming that such a program was started (and I'm not saying it will be), it would need to prove that it can maintain a high level of activity before we could even consider splitting it off into a separate subforum. As Pep said, Historica and Heroica both started out as projects in their respective main theme forums, then got specific subforums after at least a year of overwhelmingly positive activity. (And in the case of Nar Eurbrikka, we just happened to already have a subforum for contests, so that subforum was its place in the scheme of the main SW theme forum, rather than the subforum being created before the project had proven itself.)

A Post-Apoc subforum has been suggested by members and discussed before, if I remember correctly. Basically what it boils down to is that there aren't enough Post-Apoc MOCs and discussion topics to make sense for it to have a separate forum or subforum, especially since TLG has never made Post-Apoc sets and in all likelihood never will. Among such subthemes, Post-Apoc probably isn't even the frontrunner — there are arguably FOL-created subthemes that are more deserving of a subforum, such as Steampunk (And I'm not saying that Steampunk deserves its own subforum either; I'm just using it as an example of an FOL-created theme that I see more activity in compared to Post-Apoc.).

As for a Post-Apoc-themed community build, assuming that such a program was started (and I'm not saying it will be), it would need to prove that it can maintain a high level of activity before we could even consider splitting it off into a separate subforum. As Pep said, Historica and Heroica both started out as projects in their respective main theme forums, then got specific subforums after at least a year of overwhelmingly positive activity. (And in the case of Nar Eurbrikka, we just happened to already have a subforum for contests, so that subforum was its place in the scheme of the main SW theme forum, rather than the subforum being created before the project had proven itself.)

I can see your points, which are very good by the way, but one of the beauties of a Post-Apocalyptic theme is that everything is mostly "custom" in the sense. I don't mean it's all 3rd-party products but in the sense there is no right or wrong as to what can be built. But it should be common sense that there shouldn't be things like space exploration. Parts from just about every licensed theme could work if you're a 100% purist. Having a section dedicated to Post-Apocalyptic stuff would be the coolest thing ever but sadly there are hardly an influxes of Post-Apoc MOCs, which doesn't surprise for some odd reason.

And to the nay-sayers, if this were to actually be created, let's be honest, you'd probably join. Let's be honest here. But perhaps this could be something added into EB sometime in the future if these MOCs start to get popular? That's not up to me and never will be but the most we, supporters, can do is just hope. I plan on building some near Christmas time (maybe earlier) because I'll be getting great stuff useful for these MOCs.

I'm also not 100% sure why people don't support the idea, even if they won't join it but they probably will, just don't support it anyway? That's just me but it really is disappointing to say the least. But if you do hate the idea that much to not support it, please state why.

I can see your points, which are very good by the way, but one of the beauties of a Post-Apocalyptic theme is that everything is mostly "custom" in the sense. I don't mean it's all 3rd-party products but in the sense there is no right or wrong as to what can be built. But it should be common sense that there shouldn't be things like space exploration. Parts from just about every licensed theme could work if you're a 100% purist. Having a section dedicated to Post-Apocalyptic stuff would be the coolest thing ever but sadly there are hardly an influxes of Post-Apoc MOCs, which doesn't surprise for some odd reason.

I must say that I'm not sure what you're trying to argue or prove here. It doesn't matter how cool the theme is or how many positive aspects it has if it's not active; activity is what drives the need for separate subforums.

I'm also not 100% sure why people don't support the idea, even if they won't join it but they probably will, just don't support it anyway? That's just me but it really is disappointing to say the least. But if you do hate the idea that much to not support it, please state why.

That's not how polls are supposed to work. The idea of a poll is that you get everyone's opinion; if someone is not interested in participating in a Post-Apoc build, then they should vote, 'Nay.' No one can use the poll to reliably gauge interest if members who have no intention of joining vote 'Yea.'

You know what? Just put whatever you guys want, I don't even care anymore at this point because everyone's just going to say no and it won't ever happen. But if it ever did, here's a general idea for a "colony" I thought of.

HsA0IFG.png?1?6769

Edited by Behemoth

Post-apoc seems to me like a building fad that has largely run its course, and won't have the following to sustain an entire subforum. There is nothing to stop you from building within and writing your own post-apocalyptic mythos.

Whata bout MAD MAX sytled vehicles with missiles and booby traps :tongue:

That would be awesome, especially with cars like Mad Max's Interceptor!

Behemoth, you should take the advice you're being given rather than getting crabby because Eurobricks and its staff don't jump when you snap your fingers. Prove the idea has potential by starting it up in the Scifi forum. You know I'd do builds for it, but it has to start from scratch and can't have its own forum just because you say so. It's kinda like your GoH empire thing. You can't just demand to be made King of the Hill. You gotta pay your dues and work your way up.

Behemoth, you should take the advice you're being given rather than getting crabby because Eurobricks and its staff don't jump when you snap your fingers. Prove the idea has potential by starting it up in the Scifi forum. You know I'd do builds for it, but it has to start from scratch and can't have its own forum just because you say so. It's kinda like your GoH empire thing. You can't just demand to be made King of the Hill. You gotta pay your dues and work your way up.

^Agreed. I actually had my own suggestion for a sub-forum a while back, a Space Sci-Fi in the style of Heroica. The idea didn't exactly fly off the charts with applause, but that's okay, I haven't given up on finishing it someday.

Edit: Check with Bob de Quatre and Simon ? before you make a topic, like Brickdocter said.

Sure, it won't have a huge following at first. But, that's where you prove the value of your idea. Make the best with what you can, and someday you'll be given more to take care of.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I would like to add that all contests and community builds need to be approved by the staff before you can run them on EB, so you'll need to get Bob's and Simon's approval before you start making topics in the Sci-fi forum.

Doesn't that seem a bit circular to you? I mean, last time anyone tried to get a Scifi one going, Bob said he was working on it and basically took over the whole process of creating the parameters of the group build. Then silence for months now. So if you need to get approval, but the mods are "already working on that" or they want to keep the drafting of ideas like this "in-house", how is anyone supposed to get stuff like this off the ground?

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems like you'd have to go outside of EB to try and start a new Heroica/SoNE/GoH style project unless you're a staffer here. Is that the case?

Doesn't that seem a bit circular to you? I mean, last time anyone tried to get a Scifi one going, Bob said he was working on it and basically took over the whole process of creating the parameters of the group build. Then silence for months now. So if you need to get approval, but the mods are "already working on that" or they want to keep the drafting of ideas like this "in-house", how is anyone supposed to get stuff like this off the ground?

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems like you'd have to go outside of EB to try and start a new Heroica/SoNE/GoH style project unless you're a staffer here. Is that the case?

All I'm saying is that its our policy that contests and community builds need to be staff-approved. If Bob doesn't approve it because he's already working on something, that seems like a valid reason to me.

No, that's not the case. Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka started out as two concepts by Nom Carver and Bob (before he became staff), which they PMed to Erdy and myself. Heroica wasn't created by any of the staff, either.

If Bob doesn't approve it because he's already working on something, that seems like a valid reason to me.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, as I've always found the Eurobricks Staff to be extremely skilled at what they do.

I'm just wondering, what are the rules if someone creates something*, and the community is all for it, but the moderator/staff has their own project? Does the moderator's project supersede the member's?

Again, I'm really don't want to cause problems, I'm just curious as to what the rules are.

(*This is more of a general question, not really about my project, seeing as how so far my effort has been "speculate on how much of the Heroica rules would be changed for Science Fiction." I'm just trying to get a sense of the rules, since I wasn't around for when Heroica, SoNE, or GoH started.)

Edit: I released post-posting, that my original phrasing was unintentionally tending towards being inflammatory. My apologies.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I'm just wondering, what are the rules if someone creates something, putting in a huge amount of effort*, and the community is all for it, but the moderator/staff has their own project? Does the moderator's project supersede the member's?

It is the theme moderators' decision as to what projects they want to run in their forums. They may decide to go with their project or the other project or incorporate one into the other; I really can't generalize anything into any set of rules. In any case, we can't have members starting community builds and contests without first letting us know and getting our approval, otherwise that could lead to our forums being flooded with multiple projects and could lead to sub-par projects reflecting poorly on EB.