alex54

WIP: Alex54's

Hey !

I decided to open a new topic to present my latest City project for my layout to keep my “city story” topic cleaner.

After a long time, I have finally taken some pics of my latest creation.

Those last months, I didn’t have that much time to moc. And didn’t have some inspiration too…

But the event has come and I’ve got the Grand Emporium… So now, the motivation is back so I find some time for my beloved LEGO bricks! :sweet:

So let’s go with 3 models. I have to admit that they don’t come from me. They are some modified versions of official sets.

- First, the smart car 3177:

I really find this set cute! For me, it is one of the best city set from the first wave of 2010! :wub:

So I tried to add more details without making it looking too different. I just add some rear-view mirrors. I added some red lights to the back and a glass to make it closed.

s01.jpg

s03.jpg

- Second, the Rockband bus:

I find this bus really funny, so I tried to build it with the official instruction. But the rear with the crazy motor didn’t make me really happy, because I would have prefer a more realistic version than a Mario kartish version. So I tried some different things and come with that. But I’m not totally satisfied… :sceptic:

My major problem with this bus is that I miss some white slopes to finish it. I only have one in black ( I have put my hope too high in the PaB from Legoland Billund at the 2010 event, and nothing… :hmpf_bad: ).

rb01.jpg

rb02.jpg

rb03.jpg

- And third for today, my first try to make smaller the new Grand Emporium:

I have kept the general architecture of this building. The major modification is the cornered section processing.

I would like it to look like one tower without interruptions from the different levels, except the balcony.

And to accomplish this tower effect, I need to make a special roof section. I would like to add a dome on the top.

I have tried some things this WE, but without any success… :wacko: I need to try a full brick build one, like in the Taj Mahal set but it seems not that easy to come with something great… I need to try…

ge01.jpg

I like what you did there on that smart, simple but very effective! Got any pictures of the back? :sweet:

And isn't there an already made dome available from your building cause it will go nice with the ground level semi domes.

Cute MOD's to 3177 'alex54' and EXCELLENT reworking of the GE, that will be awesome when it's finished.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I like what you did there on that smart, simple but very effective! Got any pictures of the back? :sweet:

Fixed!

Thanks for the comments. I have in a good way for my dome. I just need some parts, looking for them in a set that can buy...

I will try to take some pics the next week...

So finally, I have made a dome that is right for me.

ge02.jpg

ge04.jpg

The only minor problem is that I need some bricks to finish it, the grey curved onces.

But I'm happy, because all those missing briks can be find in one set, the game Race 3000!

I just need to bougth it.

And I would like to replace the dark tan rounded plate with a tan one. Just need to buy the new SW landspeeder...

ge06.jpg

And here a pic showing how the dome is built :

ge07.jpg

After that, I just need to find a neighbor to this moded Grand Emporium. But with only 8 studs wide, it's not that simple...

Now that is FANTASTIC and it's only 8 studs wide - very art-deco too on top of GE 'alex54' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

So, after some tries, I came with nothing in my atempt to give my smaller Grand Emporium a neighbor.

I realized that imagine a building from the beginning to the end becomes very hard for me.

Now, I prefer to have some inspirations from real buildings. And without making them in a lego bricks version, I like to keep just a part, a strong architectural way and try to capture it.

For this neighbor, I only have 8 studs wide. What a constraint, I know! But with them, you have a challenge and it can result some interesting things, if they are not the most beautiful.

So, I checked my bank of pictures and found this one :

ge11.jpg

I just bought the 8078 Portal of Atlantis, just for the squid warrior first… :blush: And I convinced myself that it would be a not that bad part packs :look::grin: . And I was right!

I have those black pieces that can be used to make the glass section.

So I came up with this :

ge09.jpg

Just note that the first and second floor was from my last project before this new one.

A closer view of the “thing” :

ge10.jpg

I know that this building will not be the more beautiful in term of aesthetic, but I like this idea!

I will let you know of the progress…

That looks great in all-black. Nice idea.

Well, black is with white, the color that I have the more... So I need to use some of those b&w bricks to save some space in my closet...

Sometimes you take some rational choice before aesthetic one!

So, with free time due to the very bad weather, I have continued my work on the 8-wide building.

And I came with that :

ge12.jpgge13.jpg

I missed some white teethes, and the top floor with roof is not already made…

Great job. I myself have made an 8-side modular, but it's really hard to make an interior for it :grin:

Very nice and COOL in black addition to your GE building ! :thumbup:

Great work again for you 'alex54' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Well done, that is simply amazing! I like your technique for giving the buildings texture, I have to workk more on one of mine, it looks rather flat :tongue: But well done, and very creative mate! :thumbup:

So, just a quick post to show a pic of my latest modified moc, based on this :

porteCraffe.jpg

It’s an old prison from my city that is called “porte de la Craffe” (Craffe door).

I don’t know why, but I have always like this building…

My first try to make it in a brick build version was that (we were in 2007) :

citymoc2007_01.jpg

But I wasn’t quite happy with the result. So, as always, I have modified it, slowly and come with this :

pc02.jpg

Just keep in mind I don’t try to make the most realist version of the real building. I have to integrate some constraints like the size of the whole building. It has to feet with my other creations. So I have to make some compromises with details. The biggest thing that I would like to change is the light grey parts from the first floor. I would prefer dark red parts…

I agree with 'The Soup Nazi' the second one is far better and looks more like the one in the photo. :thumbup:

Keep up the great work and keep on MOCing ! :grin:

Great work! The second is indeed much better and more realistic than the previous version, it looks just like the real thing. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Edited by buddy

The second castle you made looks really good. As im experimenting with design using LDD i think it could be an interesting building to construct due to the mix of detail. Also Ive noticed i tend to lose focus without an image to follow.

Thanks for sharing!

The new version is so much better. I have one question though: for the small car MOD, what did you use for the back window (glass)?

I want to know as well.. I purchased three of those and was planning on making them all different colors... but your mod was very nice...

Also what brick is the mirrors on the front.. I would like to add that detail as well...

very very interesting mod! those cars cost $2 more then a minifig bag and well they ran out the day I wanted more bags so I bought three compact cars.... well we all know them as Smart Cars :wink:

I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I just had to come back and say what a fantastic job. I am in love with that small GE. :wub: :wub:

he new version is so much better. I have one question though: for the small car MOD, what did you use for the back window (glass)?
I want to know as well.. I purchased three of those and was planning on making them all different colors... but your mod was very nice...

To my reckoning thats a 1x2 hinge brick with a small dark transparent window piece. I dont know what the technical term is sorry :blush: but i do know its a clear version of the piece used in the back of the origional design.

Nice work Alex54! :laugh:

CB

Oh! A very big improvement! I like the SNOT with the anti-studs. It looks really good :thumbup: