Jesperallen

WIP Castle Seawatch

Amazing. I love the detail like how you chose to use different bricks for the wall and making it have a wall-like feel. :tongue:

love the portcullis

love the plan for 20 no. 48x48 size - awesome, keep the pics coming !

(how many bricks ?!)

I feel that someone has just raised the bar considerably here with regard to building castles.

Whilst many of us through a combination of resources,space and of course skill make some nice MOCs, they nearly all seem to be lacking something. Stature.

Real castles are built with walls that are thick. Really thick. a 1 stud thick wall somehow doesn't really cut it, yet that's what most of us do as to make a wall 3 or 4 studs thick would entail vast quantities of resources that we just don't have, not to mention the overall increase in size of the model. Also real castles by there very nature of construction and location are rarely square. Curved walls, round towers, round staircases, walls angled toward each other, and all perched atop the roughest most jagged landscape of rock you can imagine.

I know all these features have been done in Lego before, but I personally have never seen anything so convincing. Add to that the modular assembly, with whole floors that can be lifted off the previous to show inside details, staircases that twist convincingly up through square towers, and not a stud to be seen anywhere. Everywhere this fine construction is finished with tiles and cheese slopes, to further hide it's Lego origins.

And then there's the detail, truly exquisite.

Looking at this I feel it makes it look the rest of us are merely playing with a childs building bricks.

Thank you all for the kind comments!

@Watchman

Finished, the whole diorama will consist of (very) roughly 250-300 000 bricks. It´s really hard to estimate at this stage, specially as I´ve not decided the height of the top of the cliff and the rather large keep to be constructed on top of it.

@beelzibus

Thank you very much for these really warming words!

I think of it as different building styles. Every builder has different ways and building techniques to express something. Quite often I look with admiration and sometimes a bit jealousy at various builders mocs when they show skill at managing details and strongly express something with a small amount of bricks. That is a way of building that I´m not sure I´ll ever master.

I think It´s wonderful to study many mocs at different forums as each moc studied helps you develop your own buildingstyle in one way or another.

Again thank you!

Neat! I love the large scale and the amount of detail you packed into this. Great job.

Amazing. I have seen a load of lego castles, either based on real castles or MOCs, this is really one of the best ones I have seen! SO jealous at you for having the resources to do this, although having said that I couldn't come close to this even with the resources.. this may be a stupid question but how do you source so many bricks of the same type/colour? :thumbup: top job.

Amazing. I have seen a load of lego castles, either based on real castles or MOCs, this is really one of the best ones I have seen! SO jealous at you for having the resources to do this, although having said that I couldn't come close to this even with the resources.. this may be a stupid question but how do you source so many bricks of the same type/colour? :thumbup: top job.

Thank you!

Resources are often lacking, buy both over BL and large used BULK and trade what I don´t want to get what I need. Have collected pieces over several years now and built when stock allows, so it´s a slow ongoing project. As I have three small children spare time to build is not plenty either.

Impressive, to say the least! that's a really nice thing to watch, full of details, I'm stunned.

Please keep up with more pics:)

I especially love the road leading up to the gate. It just looks superb. :thumbup:

Just a question, as I really don't know/understand how you build it...

The window, with the cross in it, the loophole, how is it build, I don't know the parts needed.

Same for the porticulli, I would really appreciate if you could share a bit how you built it, I'm... hungry, let's say that:))

Thank´s all for the feedback!

Recieved more parts today and will try to continue constructiong the gatehouse above the portcullis in the coming weeks.

@deanorth you,ve got a PM

@DaDeDesign you´ve got some nice ideas there that would prove useful indeed!

I've learned (yes, it's a feature for AFOL returning to lego after 20 years break:p) a great deal of things, simply by watching your Flickr gallery, truly!

and thanks for the input on the "how to".

I really see a great deal of possibilities for castle building with what you did.

But I really hope we'll see your next achievement soon.

As I told you, as far as historical reproduction go, with the way you've built Seawatch, I think you could easely build something like "le Krak des chevaliers", one of the greatest stronghold of all time, build near Damas, and still strong today (although I fear it will be destroyed by the war waging there:/)

I'm just wondering if you had the opportunity to work on this amazing MOC, jesper', I'm so looking forward to it, I'm ashamed:)

Solid looking castle, any plans to expand it at all or do interior details?

Solid looking castle, any plans to expand it at all or do interior details?

The finished castle will cover about twenty 48x48 baseplates. All floors are axessible and prepared for furniture and interior but I Will focus on that later.

I'm just wondering if you had the opportunity to work on this amazing MOC, jesper', I'm so looking forward to it, I'm ashamed:)

Thank you:) looking forward to see one of your builds.

I have just finished another part of Seawatch and Will try to post pictures as soon as possible.

It was great to finally see this project IRL this weekend, Jesper! It's so huge and it's amazing how detailed it is at that scale. What I also really like is all the angles and different levels on the walls and towers. It makes it very interesting to look at and also gives a natural feeling to it.

My Etzel-duck enjoyed it too:

8136133157_46fbcc6d39.jpg

It was great to finally see this project IRL this weekend, Jesper! It's so huge and it's amazing how detailed it is at that scale. What I also really like is all the angles and different levels on the walls and towers. It makes it very interesting to look at and also gives a natural feeling to it.

My Etzel-duck enjoyed it too:

Thank you very much! Glad your Duck enjoyed it´s stay :classic:

I´ve now updated the first post with new pictures of the now finished "SeaGate tower"

Edited by Jesperallen