Not to mention that the functions from pre-2013 weren't too complicated either.

Do you mean pre-2012? Because this year's sets had some of the most complex functions I've seen in any theme. The transforming functions of the Storm Fighter, Blade Cycle, Tread Assault, and Destiny's Bounty were all quite unique, and the Ultra Dragon's flapping wings are worthy of a mention as well-- seeing them in action cemented that set as the must-get set of 2012 for me!

I'm on the "Chima taking priority" bandwagon. Comparing this wave with the past waves, these cripple. I imagine all the effort went into giving Chima a great lauch rathe rthan Ninjago a good end.

Which is sad. I feel that some minor modifications and tweaking would help these sets considerably.

Kalhiki

I'm on the "Chima taking priority" bandwagon. Comparing this wave with the past waves, these cripple. I imagine all the effort went into giving Chima a great lauch rathe rthan Ninjago a good end.

Which is sad. I feel that some minor modifications and tweaking would help these sets considerably.

Kalhiki

They really don't look that bad to me. I like them a lot better than the snake-people sets.

They really don't look that bad to me. I like them a lot better than the snake-people sets.

I also don't think they look bad. But I do think they look like they don't have as much that will make them stand out in years to come as the 2012 sets did. Some interesting functions definitely would have helped with that. And yes, pre-2013 Ninjago sets had loads of unique functions. In 2011, there was the hilarious slamming-skull function on the Skull Motorbike, the slicing-through-bamboo function of Ninja Ambush, the chomping skull function of the Turbo Shredder and Skull Truck, the gear-driven hidden weapon racks in the Blacksmith Shop, and perhaps most impressively the splitting-apart function of the Fire Temple. In 2012 there were the flaring-blades functions of the Blade Cycle, Storm Fighter, and Tread Assault, the flaring wings function of the Destiny's Bounty and Ultra Sonic Raider, and the flapping wings function of the Ultra Dragon. That's not even getting into successful features that were repeated multiple times like the whipping-tail feature found on the Earth Dragon, Fangpyre Truck, and Ultra Dragon.

Ninjago definitely isn't getting a bad end-- it is, after all, getting a decent-sized wave of sets (bigger than the final wave for Exo-Force at any rate) with some unique motifs, and it looks like the TV series is moving towards a great conclusion. I definitely agree with your assessment that they're probably catering to the fans of the theme more than to new buyers, and that might lead them to focus on more role-play-oriented sets rather than function-oriented. However, I still feel that the ninja vehicles next year don't really have the same "cool factor" as this year's vehicles, with the exception of Kai's Fire Mech which makes great use of Hero Factory elements.

I did feel that the Serpentine vehicles were a lot more cohesive-looking than these Stone Army vehicles. This did make some of them feel a bit redundant in terms of build, but at the same time it's almost hard to recognize the samurai motif on the Stone Army vehicles due to the inconsistent builds and somewhat disorganized color schemes. It'd help if, for instance, the parts meant to evoke a samurai helmet shape were all the same color.

By the way, I love the mountainous backdrops of next year's sets' packaging. They definitely contrast strongly with the orangish, dusty-looking backdrops of the 2011 and 2012 sets (though I loved the variety of backdrops in those years' sets, like the junkyard for the Fangpyre Wrecking Ball, the bamboo forest for Ninja Ambush, and the Ninjago City skyline for Epic Dragon Battle). It'll be cool if the website gets reskinned to match.

Edited by Aanchir

As for designer's lack (in numbers or inspiration):

the set build style is the same as serpentine:

small: Kai Bike -> Kai robot

medium small: Jay fighter -> stone bike with Jay

medium large: cole tank -> cole drill

large: fangpyre tank with small Zane vehicle -> Garmatron with small Zane vehicle

special: samurai mech -> golden dragon

As for designer's lack (in numbers or inspiration):

the set build style is the same as serpentine:

small: Kai Bike -> Kai robot

medium small: Jay fighter -> stone bike with Jay

medium large: cole tank -> cole drill

large: fangpyre tank with small Zane vehicle -> Garmatron with small Zane vehicle

special: samurai mech -> golden dragon

And you forgot to mention:

2011 - small: Mountain Shrine ($20, but part of that was because of the spinner)

medium small: Skeleton Motorbike with Jay

med. large: Cole's Dragon (or the Battle Areana)

large: Dojo (included Zane) or maybe his dragon.

I don't think it's too repetative anyway though, what's so simmilar about Kai's Blade Cycle and the new Robot (etc.)?

Has anybody else noticed, and this really is being proved by the 2013 sets, that Ninjago has been moving further and further along technologically? In 2011, the most technological stuff we had were the Skeleton vehicles, but now, in 2013 we have these heavily sci-fi tanks, mechs, etc. I mean, 2013 I guess lines up somewhat with the 2012 technology, but seeing the 2013 sets I'm starting to wonder how and where the Stone Army, one of the most ancient race in Ninjago, will get themselves this tank and other heavy machinery.

Has anybody else noticed, and this really is being proved by the 2013 sets, that Ninjago has been moving further and further along technologically? In 2011, the most technological stuff we had were the Skeleton vehicles, but now, in 2013 we have these heavily sci-fi tanks, mechs, etc. I mean, 2013 I guess lines up somewhat with the 2012 technology, but seeing the 2013 sets I'm starting to wonder how and where the Stone Army, one of the most ancient race in Ninjago, will get themselves this tank and other heavy machinery.

"Concentrated Evil" Or at least, that's where Lord Garmadon will get a super powerful weapon, so it's probably where the Stone Army will get their stuff. And while we're on the subject, the next epsiode also reveals(ed) that the Skeletons got their vehicles from Zane's father. . .

"Concentrated Evil" Or at least, that's where Lord Garmadon will get a super powerful weapon, so it's probably where the Stone Army will get their stuff. And while we're on the subject, the next epsiode also reveals(ed) that the Skeletons got their vehicles from Zane's father. . .

Ah, makes sense. Sort of. Reminds me of protodermis in Bionicle. :P Also I heard that Samukai revived Zane's father and put him on an island to make those vehicles? Weird stuff.

That's funny, since it contradicts the Ninjago Official Guide from 2013 which says that Bonezai is the designer of the Skeleton Army's vehicles. And this is 100% confirmed, or just a theory based on the episode previews? Sounds like it's already aired in some places.

That's funny, since it contradicts the Ninjago Official Guide from 2013 which says that Bonezai is the designer of the Skeleton Army's vehicles. And this is 100% confirmed, or just a theory based on the episode previews? Sounds like it's already aired in some places.

It's confirmed, because the episode already aired in Singapore. A friend of mine told me all of this after he saw it. :wink: And are you talking about the original guide from 2011 (not 2013), or are you talking about something else?

it is like written in some other books as well that Bonezai designed them, perhaps Bonezai build them with plans from Zane's father?

@ Kai,

I meant repeating as in that Kai features in the smallest set again, Jay, in the medium small one, etc. Why didn't they mix that up?

I heard that Samukai revived Zane's father and told him to build the vehicles but he refused. Then Samukai locked him in an underwater cave. So Bonezai probably did create them.

Edited by Wall E2624

@Wall, yes, that's the way it first seemed to me, but then (IDK if you guys have watched it, but I have; this part's on YouTube), Zane's father says to Zane (something along these lines), "I started to wonder if you would want to see me after seeing the horrible things I've built." That makes it seem like he did build the vehicles (and Samukai never came back with his son), but I do remeber that it has been said that Bonezai engeniered them. Either LEGO forgot they had said that, or they decided Bonzai could put the finishing touches on anyway. :wacko:

It's confirmed, because the episode already aired in Singapore. A friend of mine told me all of this after he saw it. :wink: And are you talking about the original guide from 2011 (not 2013), or are you talking about something else?

I meant 2011. Sorry, I guess I've got 2013 on the brain. :tongue: Looking forward to tonight's episode. It really sounds like it should be interesting. Of course, we're sort of getting off-topic in discussing the episode itself here, when it relates more to the TV series discussion topic.

I'm warming up to the Stone Army vehicles. They have a lot more consistency than I had given them credit for, while still being very unique from one another. Perhaps the build isn't as brilliant as the snake heads on the Serpentine vehicles, but it seems as though they'll feel a bit less redundant than some of those did. There are places I think they could improve, though. Namely, less lime outside of the eyes and red teeth on the upper jaw of the Garmatron.

As for the Ninja vehicles, I'm still a bit iffy about those. Cole's Power Drill looks a bit better here than on the box, so I'm a bit more open to that now, and of course I've always liked Kai's mech. But Jay's jetpack just doesn't seem as interesting as Kai's from the Rattlecopter or Zane's glider from the 2011 polybags. And Zane's ice speeder, while imaginative, is still a bit unorthodox in that it has no visible means of propulsion.

hmm, I looked more closely and it seems that the left and right side of the Temple can fold inwards (like ancient castel sets per example). That will create a more coherent architectural look I imagine. The box art shows it slightly folded if I am correct.

hmm, I looked more closely and it seems that the left and right side of the Temple can fold inwards (like ancient castel sets per example). That will create a more coherent architectural look I imagine. The box art shows it slightly folded if I am correct.

Good point, I think you're right. If so, that's a great bonus. :thumbup:

Why does no one like Jay's glider? It makes more sense than the one Kai got in the Rattlecopter set, and everyone absolutely loved that one. Also, what do you mean by "eyes" Aanchir?

I believe you're right! My impression of the Temple of Light just became a lot more positive!

Why does no one like Jay's glider? It makes more sense than the one Kai got in the Rattlecopter set, and everyone absolutely loved that one.

It's not a matter of which one makes more sense. Kai's glider just seemed more imaginative in that it used a lot of parts not normally used to create a jetpack (for example, the bucket from Kingdoms, the ray gun from Minifigures/Alien Conquest, and the snowshoes from Arctic/Orient Expedition). In contrast, the only particularly unique part use apparent on Jay's glider is the use of two katana as wings, which don't look nearly as nice as the larger swords used as wings on the 2011 ninja glider polybag set.

Also, what do you mean by "eyes" Aanchir?

I mean "eyes" as in "the eye patterns on the vehicles". Like the previous two years' vehicles, the Stone Army vehicles are sculpted to resemble a particular motif, this time a samurai helmet with a demonic-looking face. The greatest quantities of Bright Yellowish Green on these vehicles appear as part of this motif, representing the eyes of the samurai.

I'm going to Lego World tomorrow with my little brother. I hope they'll show some of next year's Ninjago minifigures, like they did last year. I also hope they're going to show us the season 2 Ninjago episodes, hopefully without the Disney Car episodes in between them.

I'm going to Lego World tomorrow with my little brother. I hope they'll show some of next year's Ninjago minifigures, like they did last year. I also hope they're going to show us the season 2 Ninjago episodes, hopefully without the Disney Car episodes in between them.

I didn't realize LEGO World was so soon! If they do show the new Ninjago figs, please be sure to get pictures!

When you say "Season 2", do you mean the Serpentine/Great Devourer arc ("Rise of the Snakes" through "Day of the Great Devourer", or the Lloyd's training/Stone Army arc we're in currently ("Darkness Shall Rise" through "The Ultimate Spinjitzu Master")? I ask because Wil Film seems to consider the former Season Two and the latter Season Three, but Cartoon Network considers the former Season One and the latter Season Two (i.e. they don't count the pilot and mini-movies as their own season).

If you want to see the Serpentine/Great Devourer season, all the episodes are available for free, legal viewing on the British Ninjago site.

I guess I'm a little late with the uptake of things, so busy this month. :sceptic: I guess that's what happens if you don't log in for two or so weeks! :laugh:

Now for my opinion on the sets. :sweet: The new goal of the ninjas seems to have merged from snake staffs to collecting four weird translucent blades. :wacko:

70500: Very reminiscient of Exo-Force. Not that that's a bad thing, though. :wink: It looks very sturdy for its small size and looks aesthetically pleasing.

70501: Again, very reminicient of Exo-Force. However, it seems very poorly put together and looks like a set sold in the 1990's :hmpf_bad:

70502: Thunder Driller + Cole's Tread Assault = this weird thing? :wacko: I hope that the drill spins when the wheels move. :cry_sad:

70503: :wub_drool: is really the only thing I can say about this beauty! :wub:

70504: :wacko: What is this thing supposed to be? It looks like 7706 gone crazy! I like the four-armed terra cotta stone warrior, though. :sweet: Maybe he's supposed to be Samukai.

70505: This set is obviously supposed to be the crown jewel of this wave. The design, however, is kind of lacking. :sceptic: The mech is cool, but the "hat" looks out of place. :hmpf:

Overall, this looks like a promising wave! I cannot wait for these to come out!

Hi Prominence. unfortunately this years LEGOWorld falls at the exact same time as the LEGO Designers are presenting the first versions of the 2014 themes to our bosses, (normally it's a week out) this means we are far too busy so this year most of us can not be at LEGOWorld in Zwolle. Very sorry. There will be a couple of Friends Designers around but there will not be a Designers booth as there has been for the last five years.

This is particularly sad for me as this is the 12th year of LEGOWorld and this is the first one I have not attended. I'm sure it will be great anyway as it always is, but I wish I was there!

Well that's nice. TLG went above and beyond to tell us that were no-showers, besides I think we can all agree that our 2014 themes are more important.