MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

seriously cheap Unimogs, this weekend only at argos,

£15 off and then buy 2 get 1 free = £96 a MOG :sweet:

Same offer in Ireland I see,also the mog here now is 179€ I payed 199€ 2 months ago ;)

I'm tempted to buy 2 unimogs and get on free ;) hmmm

Edited by davidmull

Same offer in Ireland I see,also the mog here now is 179€ I payed 199€ 2 months ago ;)

I'm tempted to buy 2 unimogs and get on free ;) hmmm

£15 off is correct but 3 for 2 offer only applies on selected toys at Argos and does not aplly to the Unimog.

Check their website for details.

£15 off is correct but 3 for 2 offer only applies on selected toys at Argos and does not aplly to the Unimog.

Check their website for details.

Hi

First post on here... I have been lurking for a while but have joined as I couldn't keep my fingers off my wallet this morning. The Argos offer does apply to the Unimog - just bought three for £289.98 :laugh: Hopefully this will make a good start to my AFOL life :wub:

None in Stock in Lewisham (South London) any more I'm afraid 'cos I had them away.

robindaizg made this

of a nimble motorized Lego Technic 8110 Unimog U400 which is "Using 7 PF [Power Functions] M-motors, 1 PF XL motor, 1 PF battery box, 4 PF RC Receivers, 3 Pneumatic Pumps Small (6L), & 3 Pneumatic Switches with Top Studs. Total weight about 2600 g."

robindaizg made this

of a nimble motorized Lego Technic 8110 Unimog U400 which is "Using 7 PF [Power Functions] M-motors, 1 PF XL motor, 1 PF battery box, 4 PF RC Receivers, 3 Pneumatic Pumps Small (6L), & 3 Pneumatic Switches with Top Studs. Total weight about 2600 g."

Thats quite amazing having all of those functions off the RC. Time and patience :)

Edited by Concept

robindaizg made this

This is amazing , How did he make the pneumatics rc?Where would I get more info on this moc?

Edited by davidmull

Where would I get more info on this moc?

Robin has not yet added it to his Korean website. I used Yahoo!Babelfish to translate it from Korean to English. Maybe he will add details in the near future....

Hi

i have a question regarding the 8110s wheels:

I am highly interested in them without feeling the need to purchase one or two sets. I have seen the fitting for the rims is with Unimogs unique parts but with three pin connectors. Are the wheels plus the black rims compatible with the fittings of the 8466er Offroader? I have actually 8 sets of its fittings to connect 8 wheels. I am intersted to build a large wheeled crane (larger as the 8241) with the Unimogs tires as base. But if the wheels only fit on its own fittings i have to think about purchasing two 8110 sets. Acually i could get 8 wheels plus 8 rims for ~80€.

Dino

Hi

I am highly interested in them without feeling the need to purchase one or two sets. I have seen the fitting for the rims is with Unimogs unique parts but with three pin connectors. Are the wheels plus the black rims compatible with the fittings of the 8466er Offroader? I have actually 8 sets of its fittings to connect 8 wheels. I am intersted to build a large wheeled crane (larger as the 8241) with the Unimogs tires as base. But if the wheels only fit on its own fittings i have to think about purchasing two 8110 sets. Acually i could get 8 wheels plus 8 rims for ~80€.

Dino

Hi Dino,

Edit: Excuse me; you were asking about the fittings. The fittings are compatible.

The rims are NOT compatible with the 8466 offroader. They are too wide.

They are compatible with the 8070 supercar and several other models.

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=44772

However, they do fit other steering gear ball joints, like

http://www.bricklink...m.asp?P=x873c01

Edited by Gekke Ted

Hi

Thank you Gekke.

Yes, i know the rims of the Offroader and the Unimogs are quite differnt. But i had to know if i also have to purchase not only rims and tires of the Unimog but also the full wheel fitting maybe plus suspension. Now i will use the 8x fittings and suspension of the Offroader.

Dino

Hi

Thank you Gekke.

Yes, i know the rims of the Offroader and the Unimogs are quite differnt. But i had to know if i also have to purchase not only rims and tires of the Unimog but also the full wheel fitting maybe plus suspension. Now i will use the 8x fittings and suspension of the Offroader.

Dino

That won't be a problem!! default_thumbup.gif

I have fitted the Unimog wheels to the 8466 offroader. Looks pretty cool!

Edited by Gekke Ted

Hi

WE do not believe you! So WE will need an image :D

Dino

That won't be a problem!! default_thumbup.gif

Why bother?8466 wheels are so much better,will 8466 wheels fit the unimog?im still looking for a set but there so darn expensive!

Hi

Dino

I am currently using them on the hubs from 8297, which are the same as 8466 except for the colour. I intended to use the mog hubs for my All terrain crane but they didnt work too well so went back to the older steering hubs. I ended up building a Rough terrain crane with the portal hubs with beam axles.

Over on TechnicBRICKS, Conchas is gathering questions to ask Markus Kossman, the designer of the Lego Technic Unimog U400 set. If you respond there by December 2, 2011, it's your chance to ask something you'd always wanted to know about this flagship model!

2010_Markus.gif%234.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Over on TechnicBRICKS, Conchas is gathering questions to ask Markus Kossman, the designer of the Lego Technic Unimog U400 set. If you respond there by December 2, 2011, it's your chance to ask something you'd always wanted to know about this flagship model!

2010_Markus.gif%234.jpg

This is great and I'll look forward to seeing the answers to some questions :)

2010_Markus.gif%234.jpg

Luder do u know when we will get to view this interview? Or what date is he answering the questions?

Well i got my unimog today but i ran into some trouble with 2 steps,i have now finished building it though :sweet:.

I don't know if there is an issue here or was it me.

Book 2 step 70:

I had to replace the newer universal joint with a older one as the axle was to short,i could of increased the axle instead.

Book 3 step 30:

I had to move the bonnet down to the next line of studs on the ' technic bricks with two pin holes' so it could fit properly.

I plan on motorizing it,who has made the best mod on how to do this and do they have instructions?

@ Alasdair Ryan: pcility has many photos of his fully-motorized 8110 Lego Technic Unimog U400 set on his Brickshelf gallery. He posted a set of three YouTube videos about the conversion; I can only display two of them here.

:

(shown below) and
(which you'll have to view separately by clicking on the hyperlink):

Built the mog today.

Pros

It's awesome.

My toddler likes it.

Good possibilities for adding accessories.

Cons

Performance of the crane is not great. Insanely slow rotation, poor control over the pneumatics (common for large pneumatic models). I'll swap it for the snowplough.

Appalling turning circle.

Like many others I put the center diff in the wrong way round initially. Seems easy to make that mistake.

There is one instructions page with a ruler for pneumatic tube where the ruler starts at 3cm. Why? Bonkers.

Meh / neutral

The offset front axle doesn't bother me.

No tipping rear body? No drop sides on the rear body? :devil: (So I have to mod for those?) :oh:

Size. Big is fun, and it's impressive, but the steering is heavy and slow, and the model feels like it's pushing the limits on size.

The mog is about as big as I'd want in a technic model (I've built bigger MOCs, they're unwieldy).

Cost. It's a lot of money - but was worth it.

I did plan to buy two and mod the second one, but I don't think I'll bother now.

Edited by andythenorth

Built the mog today.

Pros

It's awesome.

My toddler likes it.

Good possibilities for adding accessories.

Cons

Performance of the crane is not great. Insanely slow rotation, poor control over the pneumatics (common for large pneumatic models). I'll swap it for the snowplough.

Appalling turning circle.

Like many others I put the center diff in the wrong way round initially. Seems easy to make that mistake.

There is one instructions page with a ruler for pneumatic tube where the ruler starts at 3cm. Why? Bonkers.

Meh / neutral

The offset front axle doesn't bother me.

No tipping rear body? No drop sides on the rear body? :devil: (So I have to mod for those?) :oh:

Size. Big is fun, and it's impressive, but the steering is heavy and slow, and the model feels like it's pushing the limits on size.

The mog is about as big as I'd want in a technic model (I've built bigger MOCs, they're unwieldy).

Cost. It's a lot of money - but was worth it.

I did plan to buy two and mod the second one, but I don't think I'll bother now.

This is a great model so no cons at all that I can see,the pneumatics works flawless too,u need to get used to controlling the switches and that's all in the fun of it,the crane is very realistic,

There's a mod for a sharper turning circle just pull the 4 stopper on the chassis ,also the rotation of the crane is ment to be slow like the real thing.

I hate seeing people give out about such a great model,this sets ranks in the top 5 of all time.

Ach. The lego community is so weird. Opinions seem to be either "TLG have rendered my entire collection worthless with some new colour / part / theme", or alternatively "TLG can do no wrong, and there must be no criticism". :devil:

8110 has some minor flaws. TLG are pushing how far Technic can go. The flaws don't stop 8110 being a great set, but they're still flaws.

The crane is lame imho - when compared to how epic the rest of the set is. TLG keep including these knuckleboom cranes in sets. They're fun and offer lots of functionality, but so far few of them actually perform well (try lifting something with them...). The most playable one is the small crane in 8049 Log Loader. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=8049-1

Creating a powerful smooth knuckleboom crane using Technic parts is a very hard problem, but one day TLG will figure out how to solve it - same as with 8043 they finally created an excavator that can actually dig.

For what it's worth, in 1992 the Airtech Claw Rig (which was a flagship of equivalent awesomeness to the mog) had a similar crane with the same control issues. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=8868-1

Edited by andythenorth

Well you now i'm partial to pointing out what I feel is wrong with Technic and one or two minor flaws I noticed with 8110 is the steering is not so good. They could have designed the steering better to cope with the weight and size of the Mog. Secondly, under heavy load whilst rotating the crane, the CV joint driving the rear PTO pops out of it's socket. I fixed it by placing a half bush on the shaft behind it, seems fine now. Apart from that it's all good, the pneumatics really do work great, easily outperforms my mates 8043 (with the newer LAs) and the 8258 which can't lift a wet fart! Of course it would be nice to have even more power, and for the crane of the unimog to have a greater range of movement so that it can fold up better *cough* longer pneumatics *cough* but as it is it works better that the previous two flagships by miles.

Edited by allanp