Future74

[REVIEW] 7965 Millennium Falcon

Review: 7965 Millennium Falcon  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

You mean the hair element for Han in the "Why do they run away???" pic? I feel the same way (well, except for the color, of course, but that's the type of hair I prefer to use for Han).

Yeah, that's the one. Looks very good and suits him - the official one just looks as if he hadn't been there when they handed out the new hairpieces.

Yeah, that's the one. Looks very good and suits him

That's the one I use for my Han(s) as well. I guess TLG either thinks the classic one looks more accurate, is easier to produce efficiently, or is a placeholder until they sculpt a completely new one.

Personally, this is one set I don't intend to miss out on. I have yet to get Ep.4 Leia, Ben, or Luke (Or the new Vader) Nnor do I have a System Falcon, so this is a must have. Thanks for the review- it really sealed the deal for me.

Ahh...I see what they did. They made the mandibles longer. The damn canopy is still too far forward. Interior is very sparce but very modible.

Great review!

*oh2*So you are that Flail! :blush::cry_happy: I didn't know you were a member here... I think that your Y-wing is truly one of the best out there. :thumbup: In case you haven't noticed, I mentioned applying your Falcon mods to this set as a welcome alternative many times before learning from instructions that the construction was quite different.

Oh, and one more thing:

I still wonder when we will see mods on the

X-wing that you promissed a long time ago.

Do tell...

I just don't get the reason for the front hole in the nose. What is it good for? I smell some MOCs for this and the mandibles in the air. :wink:

I'm assuming you mean the space for the mandibles. In-universe, I believe that's where the cargo is loaded on a YT-1300. :wink:

The mandibles lock onto a dock and the cargo is loaded through the space between them. Hence the asymmetrical side-mounted cockpit. And yes, I happen to think this is neat. :grin:

I was going to post a pic of Han and Chewie both in the cockpit, but Future74 beat me to it. The box art depicts both in the cockpit but is a bit tricky to get them both in.

A really awesome review Future!

To me it looks like the 2 versions should be built together as one.

Take all the best ideas and techniques from them both.

Is this version more "stable" than the previous one? When I try to play with my old version with my daughter it seems that I am fixing it more than playing with it. So for playability is this better?

This version of the Millennium Falcon is a lot more stable than the previous one.

For instance the landing gear doesnt break off and there's no need to reinforce its structure underneath to prevent it from breaking.

The playability is therefore increased.

But than again I dont play with lego... :laugh:

Is this version more "stable" than the previous one? When I try to play with my old version with my daughter it seems that I am fixing it more than playing with it. So for playability is this better?

Much more so. Landing gears don't fall off, the 'ring' structure which the panels connect to is much more secured to the base, the turret isn't held by a flimsy peg, the cockpit's tighter, the panels up top are much more durable than the previous one and don't break off at every opportunity.

It's not a huge change, but lots of minor ones that add up.

Thanks for the review.

The new luke face will make a great sleeping mask/snoring face.

Might have to get this one if only for parts.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

This is great! But why does Han never get a new hair design? The Leia one seems unnecessary.

Guys don't worry about that kind of thing.

I was looking at this set last week in one of our stores here. Its $295 NZ. So I don't think I will be getting this one.

Has this seen a US release yet?

No. The main portion of the Summer Wave has in the past been an August release.

This is great! But why does Han never get a new hair design? The Leia one seems unnecessary.

The hairline is too low on the old piece. It looked fine on the old Leia cause her face was kind of squashed, but put it on any of the recent female faces and it looks odd. I do think the new one could've been better. The redesigned ANH Leia doesn't look anywhere near as good as the new Hoth version.

Thanks for the review... it was helpfull.

Since due to the infamous dark ages, I missed the previous releases, I have been looking on the aftermarket for a MF for quiet some time. Of course they were available, but prices seemed a bit steep for a 2nd handed set. (no way I was going to pay rip-off prices for a MISB). So when this one came out, for about the price the 2nd hand ones went on e.g. eBay, I got excited... finally.. Only question was: would it be better then the previous one?

Well, after reading a.o. this review I decided to go for the 7965. Of course it has its flaws, for me the most important one the shape of the mandibles. (I have the midi version too, who's overall shape is a lot better). But the major problems seem to be arrangable by some modding.

In fact, main problem for me turned out to be time and shelf/display space... I got it during last years pre christmas sales, and only now found time for building it... But, apart from the mandibles, it looks fine... better then I expected. Glad I trusted the review and bought it.

To me that sounds all too familiar. :classic:

Bought the first 7965 on christmas sale and recently got a second at 33% off. :laugh:

Having built one up now i slowly get used to the mandible flaw. What bugs me most is the sticker issue. The sheet was kind of rolled up with the stickers standing up from it. Despite being attached now, they roll up time and again and i often have to press them down again. Shouldn't stickers stick to the surface? Dreaded stickers... :angry:

This being said, i love the set very much. A pretty sturdy build with interesting techniques - and it's huge. Among my most beautiful sets. I am still searching after a worthy place for display of the 'old lady'. :wink:

Thanks for the pics of all the bags, really helpful as my son got this for his 11th birthday and there's a LOT of parts missing !! He has lots of Lego sets and so far he had only 1 single piece missing from a set, but this is crazy.

All missing parts are in (one of the) bags 4.

He's missing f.i. the bridge shaped parts (all 4) and the wedge shaped things (16x) We're now counting and checking and already are missing even more parts....pretty weird as Lego claims to weigh every bag so how this huge difference is beyond me.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed pics, a good help !