Future74

[REVIEW] 7965 Millennium Falcon

Review: 7965 Millennium Falcon  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I don't collect the Star Wars sets, but I do have the UCS Millennium Falcon still in it's packaging and not built yet. I do not have the 2004 version either. If I can get this set at a good price though I would definitely consider picking it up. It'll look good beside my UCS MF whenever I get around to building that one.

Nice review! Looks like Vader has a new face print, which is nice. Updated Han face is also nice, and Luke also looks different.

The price is way too high for me, though, so I hope we'll see these minifigures in smaller future sets. :classic:

Looks like Vader has a new face print, which is nice.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that's the same angry Vader face I have on my Chrome Vader from '09.

Great review! :thumbup: Thanks!!!

I have mixed feeling about this set though. Doesn't really like the design of the Falcon. Great minifigs and interior though. I might buy this for the minifigs, but no... the price and stickers scares me away :classic:

The Falcon isn't one of my favourite ships in the films

HERETIC! :laugh:

Seriously! :tongue:

After seeing the two versions of the ship side-by-side I now think the new one is an improvement. I still wish that Lego would focus on a vehicle that has never been produced instead of the Falcon.

Perhaps, but the Millennium Falcon is a large ship that gets represented as large sets, and not everyone has been able to get them. Also, the Falcon is really one of the most iconic vessels in not just the Star Wars universe, but the entirety of fantasy and science fiction. Really, as long as there's such a thing as an official Star Wars LEGO theme at all, the Millennium Falcon is one of those core, essential things that should be available fairly regularly (if not indeed at all times). LEGO Star Wars without a Millennium Falcon set is like LEGO Star Wars without Artoo-Detoo, See-Threepio or Darth Vader minifigures.

But, I have to say that the ship is very detailed. Of course all of the figures are way overused. It would be nice to see some new or different characters.

As long as they've already tied two previous Millennium Falcon sets to A New Hope and one to The Empire Strikes Back via their minifigures, I can see doing a Return of the Jedi one with Lando Calrissian, Nien Nunb and the rebel gunners from the Battle of Endor, but given how large and expensive any set of the Falcon is going to be, it's probably best to give it a "classic" complement of figures, meaning always with Han Solo and Chewbacca, ideally in their ANH garb. That tends to limit the other figures that might be included with it, though I can see doing others that would work that have never been included with it before (stormtroopers / sandtroopers? Garindan? Jabba the Hutt?).

Seriously! :tongue:

Yeah. I don't like asymmetrical ships at all :grin: sorry guys.

Very nice review. Are those console pieces really in the set? Or are those mods? anyway I have a 4504 but I really like this one. The mandibles are much longer compared to the 4504.

Theres a pretty big size difference between this and 4504, didn't notice that before.

Also, I think you messed up on the front landing gear. One of the feat s backwards and it looks like the pegs were positioned wrong.

I can't wait to get this and modify the hell out of it! : :devil_laugh:

Oops, I guess I messed up with the front landing gear... :blush:

Very sharp of you to notice! :thumbup:

And yes, there is a big difference in size. But most notable -which you can only 'feel'- is that the model is so much more sturdy. I had to mod my 4504 (extra flat tiles) on the bottom to give it the necessary stability. The landing gear of the 4504 easiliy comes off which isnt the case with the 7965.

Very nice review. Are those console pieces really in the set? Or are those mods? anyway I have a 4504 but I really like this one. The mandibles are much longer compared to the 4504.

There are no mods on the 7965 in this review.

Well done OP!

Love this version and will be getting it as I missed the 4504.

It'll look like a baby following it's mother next to 10179. :)

Personally, O like thise set very much, and even more so now since I've seen this fantastic review. :thumbup:

I do wish that there was more on the inside, but that leaves room for plenty of customizing- one of the joys of LEGOs. :classic:

I love my 'Falcon 4504 and hadn't planned on investing in this... but after reading the review it's got my nerd-gland twitching! Nice design that can be improved with tiny mods, great line-up of minifigs. I know! It's my birthday on July 24th... why doesn't everyone on Eurobricks chip in and buy me this?! Yes? Yes? No? Oh well, worth a try...

Excellent review Future, thanks for sharing. :wink:

Set looks great - a massive improvement. Interior is so free of clutter it will be easy to mod too

i agree with your remarks on the interior. the minifigs actualy have some space inside the ship to move around. as for the rest, i don't see that many improvements, to be honest. i would have like a better cockpit, for instance. The engine isn't much of an engine either. if you already own a MF, then buy something else, would be my advise...

Thanks for the review! Bought this set last weekend and must say I quite like it.

That said, the bottom is aweful and the technic beam looks ridiculous.

The gaps on top anoy me a lot.

If you are a star wars fan, buy it.

If not, leave it in the store and order a CC building.

--- FIRST POST UPDATED ---

@Ki-Adi-Mundi

added boarding ramp, inside and outside

5840433108_a6f9b3ec9d_m.jpg 5840432960_71de6029d8_m.jpg

added cockpit

5839886403_c1f3b56418_m.jpg 5840433784_17c93030e6_m.jpg

@Aanchir

more pictures of the minifigures

5839884973_03b07515c6_m.jpg

5839885099_dc0ec17ac7_m.jpg 5839885237_bd825caf2d_m.jpg

5839885335_c464b6a9b7_m.jpg 5840432604_2e86e3a90c_m.jpg

The new hair pieces of Luke and Leia are both asthonishing!

@Sok117

correct landing gear

5839886157_0309aeb3ca_m.jpg 5839886263_b1b86b789d_m.jpg

--- OTHER ---

@Ki-Adi-Mundi

To your question on the front compartment:

5839885583_b399f78d43_m.jpg 5840432834_accaca39ea_m.jpg

@Miss Kyle :laugh::wink:

5839886731_1e2ae4ba5f.jpg

And another…

5840433940_0a14950802.jpg

As for the discussion on the mandels:

5839886055_089fb76d6b.jpg

Because they come off like is shown they will be easy to MOD.

Thanks for extra pics. I don't know if it's just because the old ones have been around so long, but to me none of the new minifigs look any better than their predecessors. Leia's bun or Obi-Wan's torso print, maybe, but no whole 'fig.

Thanks for extra pics. I don't know if it's just because the old ones have been around so long, but to me none of the new minifigs look any better than their predecessors. Leia's bun or Obi-Wan's torso print, maybe, but no whole 'fig.

Yeah but isnt that the same Obi-Wan from the Landspeeder set or 10188 Death Star?

Im really not liking Luke's sour face and fugly hairdo. Surfer hair Luke is by far my favorite. Also I already used POP princess face on my Leia. the hair doesnt seem to be an improvement.

I would have preferred the blast helmet to have a physical shield. rather than printed face.

Yeah but isnt that the same Obi-Wan from the Landspeeder set or 10188 Death Star?

It is. I was just saying that the new one didn't look any better since he compared it with the older versions. Though isn't that minifig in the middle of the Ben Kenobi comparison shot Uncle Owen?

Cheers for the extra pics. I'm glad you've shown one of the mandibles, it will be the first thing I look at changing. Then trying to re-position the cockpit :sceptic:

Thanks for this excellent review !

I went out my dark age after the 4505 and the UCS, so it's mandatory for me to buy this 7965. My regret for this version of Millenium Falcon is the way is made the bottom of the ship, and the landing gears are too simple for me.

Anyway, it is a must-have !

It is. I was just saying that the new one didn't look any better since he compared it with the older versions. Though isn't that minifig in the middle of the Ben Kenobi comparison shot Uncle Owen?

Mmm you're right... another mistake. :blush:

It was done when grabbing the minifigures for the picture.

(note to self: dont put Obi-Wan/Ben next to Uncle Owen)

I shall correct this tonight.

Hope you can forgive me. :grin:

Wow, that's even better. :classic:

Thanks on your effort to show us the extra pics. :thumbup:

Your review has become even more awesome!

I really like the boarding ramp and front compartment.

It is also good to have comparisons for the newer minifig prints and hair. Luke has improved the most. His hair piece is as good as it's new.

I just don't get the reason for the front hole in the nose. What is it good for? I smell some MOCs for this and the mandibles in the air. :wink:

Great stuff, Future74!

Haha :D

The last one is the one I'd most likely approve. :laugh:

You mean the hair element for Han in the "Why do they run away???" pic? I feel the same way (well, except for the color, of course, but that's the type of hair I prefer to use for Han).