Solscud007

Pictorial Review: 10225 UCS R2-D2

Finally finished building artoo today. If nothing else, the head shows you how to build decent domes from Lego.

He's a great looking set when built up, and the build is a lot of fun, layering detail all over the little guy.

He's a bit wobbly when on three legs - the 'ankles' seem like a weak point as they have to adjust the angle for the different stances. Perhaps that's one reason they didn't put wheels in his feet.

Just finished building and its an fantastic model, great care needed to get each stage correct, especially the head with the many small peices.

The use of coloured bricks inside helps identify where all the parts go to aid building.

I think the best pose is with 3 legs in use.

Just one slight mod added a small 14t bevel gear to make it easier to opertate the shafts to deploy the buzz saw and sabre arms.

Edited by Doug72

From the moment I saw this model, I couldn't stop thinking about motorizing it. With PF or NXT.

The thing which has been bugging me, is the third leg.

Would you motorize the two side legs/wheels and create a dummy third wheel? Or would it be better to create a steerable third wheel? There are several options and I am not really sure which is best. Of course it depends on whether the third leg would be retractable or not.

My thoughts on having a fully functional R2-D2:

- Probably make it a bit bigger (by using two models and some extra pieces)

- One motor will rotate both side legs AND simultaneously rotate a joint in the bottom of the legs (which you now have to pull out and change position manually)

- One motor will retract the third leg, which has a dummy wheel.

(Another option would be to have the prior mentioned motor also retract the third leg, but you will lose some flexibility with this option. However, it would be nice if one motor is responsible for changing the position of R2 and retracting the third leg.)

- One motor will drive one of the side wheels

- One motor will drive the other side wheel (you can now rotate R2 like a tank)

How would you design the third wheel? This needs to rotate (like the Johnny 5 NXT model) to be able to have tank steering.

Just some thoughts I had. Suggestions and (constructive) criticism are welcome default_laugh_new.gif

From the moment I saw this model, I couldn't stop thinking about motorizing it. With PF or NXT.

The thing which has been bugging me, is the third leg.

Would you motorize the two side legs/wheels and create a dummy third wheel? Or would it be better to create a steerable third wheel? There are several options and I am not really sure which is best. Of course it depends on whether the third leg would be retractable or not.

My thoughts on having a fully functional R2-D2:

- Probably make it a bit bigger (by using two models and some extra pieces)

- One motor will rotate both side legs AND simultaneously rotate a joint in the bottom of the legs (which you now have to pull out and change position manually)

- One motor will retract the third leg, which has a dummy wheel.

(Another option would be to have the prior mentioned motor also retract the third leg, but you will lose some flexibility with this option. However, it would be nice if one motor is responsible for changing the position of R2 and retracting the third leg.)

- One motor will drive one of the side wheels

- One motor will drive the other side wheel (you can now rotate R2 like a tank)

How would you design the third wheel? This needs to rotate (like the Johnny 5 NXT model) to be able to have tank steering.

Just some thoughts I had. Suggestions and (constructive) criticism are welcome default_laugh_new.gif

I'd have two directly drivable wheels, one in each L/R leg, and then let the third leg have a freely swivelable(?) wheel. Then you'd drive him like a tank. He needs to be able to spin on the spot.

fix his ankles so they are more stable, and also fix the third leg in place. That'd also free up space internally for motors etc. Even then it'd be tight in there for two motors and a battery pack. Three motors if you want artoo's head to spin (and don't forget the PF lights)

I'd have two directly drivable wheels, one in each L/R leg, and then let the third leg have a freely swivelable(?) wheel. Then you'd drive him like a tank. He needs to be able to spin on the spot.

fix his ankles so they are more stable, and also fix the third leg in place. That'd also free up space internally for motors etc. Even then it'd be tight in there for two motors and a battery pack. Three motors if you want artoo's head to spin (and don't forget the PF lights)

Exactly my thoughts!!

Of course, there's should be a motor for the head. Forgot to add it to the list! default_tong.gif

And the lights would make a nice addition! default_thumbup.gif

Therefore I would probably make him a bit bigger.

Using NXT it would probably triple in size.

Edited by Gekke Ted

Therefore I would probably make him a bit bigger.

Using NXT it would probably triple in size.

Hmm... I don't think so. After fixing the 3rd wheel there is much space inside R2 for an NXT. I checked the size of motors and

would say a PF M size would be perfect but R2 is kind of heavy and maybe needs the PF XL motor instead.

The NXT motors seemed to be very big, too. We have to find a way to motorize R2 without giving him a complete other look. :hmpf_bad:

I would try 2 motors in each leg and a "free" wheel in the 3rd.

Hmm... I don't think so. After fixing the 3rd wheel there is much space inside R2 for an NXT. I checked the size of motors and

would say a PF M size would be perfect but R2 is kind of heavy and maybe needs the PF XL motor instead.

I would try 2 motors in each leg and a "free" wheel in the 3rd.

A fixed third leg/wheel would indeed solve most issues. You don't need the motor for rotating the legs and the ankles, and you don't need the motor to retract the leg.

One NXT can suffice, since you have three motors:

Motor Left

Motor Right

Motor Head

Maybe that's a good start.

We have to find a way to motorize R2 without giving him a complete other look. :hmpf_bad:

I agree, but scaling him up a little bit, can be done without compromising the look. You need to add wheels and a drive train to the legs, so you probably need a little bit more space than you have now.

But it would of course be better, if it can be done without rescaling default_thumbup.gif

----

Edit:

I haven't really thought of this, but now you mention it, maybe each leg can contain one NXT motor. They are oddly shaped, but I guess you can build around it. Then you only need to attach the wires and mount the motor for the head in the body.

You can change the front so that it entirely opens up, showing the NXT controls. Of course, this can also be done at the back.

Edited by Gekke Ted

Don't forget to include a pico-projector to display the Leia hologram.

That would be awesome default_laugh_new.gif

Thanks for the reminder :wink:

Edited by Gekke Ted

Anyone ever try my design of storing the M-motor in the side feet (in post #48)?

Regrettably, I don't have this set yet and wonder if it can really make R2D2 move. :)

Anyone ever try my design of storing the M-motor in the side feet (in post #48)?

Regrettably, I don't have this set yet and wonder if it can really make R2D2 move. :)

Can you do a screen grab and post a picture? I browse on my iPad and don't have LDD handy (would looove an iPad version of LDD)

A lady on Today while talking about LEGO was asked how many pieces the UCS R2D2 she got her kids for Christmas last year had. "It has like 6,000 pieces!" LOL, good estimate! That must be what it seems like to a parent when opening the larger sets.