Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Five Easy Steps to Beating Brickdoctor's Quests:

1. Roll a Mage.
  2. Obtain an Amethyst.
  3. Pwn all the Humanoid enemies.
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

Is that because I dealt more than nine hundred damage and slaughtered your elven forces, Doc? :tongue:

Stifled maniacal laughter emanates from Sylph's helmet.

This doesn't bode well for Durkon..... :tongue:

Is that because I dealt more than nine hundred damage and slaughtered your elven forces, Doc? :tongue:

No, it's because every player who hasn't been hiding under a rock probably knows that I haven't used non-Humanoid enemies since the early parts of Q4. :laugh:

I had no idea Erik could tell when his name was said with a c rather than a k. It reminds me of a certain Lich.

I had no idea Erik could tell when his name was said with a c rather than a k. It reminds me of a certain Lich.

I actually refrenced that in my rebuttal. :tongue:

Hmmm...scummy.....Vote: Erik (Erik).

Opinion:

I appreciate all the work yo QM's are doing, like having the parties meet up, for example. But I think Dekra and Arthur meeting so quick was a poor choice, well, in my eyes at least. I don't want to party poop roleplaying, but Dekra and Arthur talk too much. It's almost, almost, like spamming. (I can't think of another word, forgive me.) We have a quest to complete, and these Walls of Text isn't really helpful. It's fine to discuss plans, but I just can't read all of it. I feel I'm inactive... :look: well... because, there's no useful thing for my character to say. :sceptic: I'm just getting really bored and restless. As I said before, roleplaying is good, but Arthur has basically morphed this quest into his own story. It was barely anytime before he started acting strange, and yelling at the party. I feel the whole quest responds to him, not the other way around. And now with Dekra, it seems there is no Dastsan Quest, just Flipz and Tanma's own "world."

I'm unsure what else to say, as I'm just letting out my frustration. I don't want to sound rude, but perhaps talk in PM about your sacred worlds, bionicle demons, and whatever? :sadnew: Does anyone feel this way? I'm completely lost in where we are in the quest. :sad:

Did you read his actual opinion? You do know that means being a traitor, right?

Its not necessarilly traitorous to turn on your employer and aid the opponents, sometimes it just means putting principle and honor over blind faith. If the heroes of Quest 4 had done that, there would have been no War in the North, less violence in Dastan, and the real criminals might have been stopped.

Is today "betray Syntax day"? Seriously, nearly HALF of my party has decided to side with the enemy! :cry3: ... :sarcasm_smug:

In response to Tanma, it was simply the fact that Zakura kept it so brief. He just basically said he'll do what Eric does and nothing more to his post.

I really have no problem with other people siding against me. :classic:

Edited by Endgame

Is today "betray Syntax day"? Seriously, nearly HALF of my party has decided to side with the enemy! :cry3:

Its just that some people don't agree with Syntax's decision.

Its just that some people don't agree with Syntax's decision.

Whoops, should've probably slipped in another sentence in there. Edited! I really have no problem with this development, and it is indeed interesting: I'm just surprised so many would change their minds. :classic:

Opinion:

I appreciate all the work yo QM's are doing, like having the parties meet up, for example. But I think Dekra and Arthur meeting so quick was a poor choice, well, in my eyes at least. I don't want to party poop roleplaying, but Dekra and Arthur talk too much. It's almost, almost, like spamming. (I can't think of another word, forgive me.) We have a quest to complete, and these Walls of Text isn't really helpful. It's fine to discuss plans, but I just can't read all of it. I feel I'm inactive... :look: well... because, there's no useful thing for my character to say. :sceptic: I'm just getting really bored and restless. As I said before, roleplaying is good, but Arthur has basically morphed this quest into his own story. It was barely anytime before he started acting strange, and yelling at the party. I feel the whole quest responds to him, not the other way around. And now with Dekra, it seems there is no Dastsan Quest,

I'm unsure what else to say, as I'm just letting out my frustration. I don't want to sound rude, but perhaps talk in PM about your sacred worlds, bionicle demons, and whatever? :sadnew: Does anyone feel this way? I'm completely lost in where we are in the quest. :sad:

I missed the above

Some things on this, from my point of view. First thing, you sound kind of hostile. Okay, just plain hostile, no passive modifiers this time around. I mean "Flipz and Tanma's own "world?" "spamming?" Do you how that comes off? I have no idea if those feelings was going on for a while in Quest 31 and thus annoyance with it built up over time, but that is part of the point. I didn't know. Try mentioning these thoughts to the players privately before getting upset, odds are they are not trying to take over the RPG. I tend to RPG as I go, the only time I planned for a side part was in Quest 4, and I asked for QM permission before hand. I don't mean to hijack anything. But if you don't talk to me about it, I can't do anything.

Do not forget that this is an RPG. If it is logical for character interactions, it would be OOC and poorly played not to do so. De'kra and Arthur haven't communicated in a while and Arthur seems different, De'kra is going to be curious. We do care about our characters and so we would take that time to let them grow. Perhaps there was an excess of commuing and some padding, but hardly spamming. All of it made sense in context, it was still about Heroica and it often still involved the situations at hand. (wondering if Wren was affecting the books using Cronk's guess about Hans, anything about the potions, ect...)

If you felt like you couldn't talk, why not tell our characters to move on like Galan did? Since he hinted that we should stop talking, the two of us have been focusing more on the plot rather than Character development.

Edited by Tanma

Opinion:

I appreciate all the work yo QM's are doing, like having the parties meet up, for example. But I think Dekra and Arthur meeting so quick was a poor choice, well, in my eyes at least. I don't want to party poop roleplaying, but Dekra and Arthur talk too much. It's almost, almost, like spamming. (I can't think of another word, forgive me.) We have a quest to complete, and these Walls of Text isn't really helpful. It's fine to discuss plans, but I just can't read all of it. I feel I'm inactive... :look: well... because, there's no useful thing for my character to say. :sceptic: I'm just getting really bored and restless. As I said before, roleplaying is good, but Arthur has basically morphed this quest into his own story. It was barely anytime before he started acting strange, and yelling at the party. I feel the whole quest responds to him, not the other way around. And now with Dekra, it seems there is no Dastsan Quest, just Flipz and Tanma's own "world."

I'm just stopping by for a minute, I have to go to dinner, but I just wanted to let you know I DID read this, and I am working on a response. I will post it when I get back. :wink:

Opinion:

I appreciate all the work yo QM's are doing, like having the parties meet up, for example... I don't want to sound rude, but perhaps talk in PM about your sacred worlds, bionicle demons, and whatever? :sadnew: Does anyone feel this way? I'm completely lost in where we are in the quest. :sad:

I missed the above

Some things on this, from my point of view. First thing, you sound kind of hostile... the two of us have been focusing more on the plot rather than Character development.

I understand Capt.JohnPaul's point. We were in quite a confusing situation, two groups of heroes about to attack each other, and the side development of character story, although intriguing, was making it difficult for us to move ahead in the quest. I do not believe Capt.JohnPaul meant any offense. I am not sure I have seen any "hostile" players yet in Heroica.

First thing, you sound kind of hostile. Okay, just plain hostile, no passive modifiers this time around. I mean "Flipz and Tanma's own "world?" "spamming?" Do you how that comes off? I have no idea if those feelings was going on for a while in Quest 31 and thus annoyance with it built up over time, but that is part of the point. I didn't know. Try mentioning these thoughts to the players privately before getting upset, odds are they are not trying to take over the RPG. I tend to RPG as I go, the only time I planned for a side part was in Quest 4, and I asked for QM permission before hand. I don't mean to hijack anything. But if you don't talk to me about it, I can't do anything.

Do not forget that this is an RPG. If it is logical for character interactions, it would be OOC and poorly played not to do so. De'kra and Arthur haven't communicated in a while and Arthur seems different, De'kra is going to be curious. We do care about our characters and so we would take that time to let them grow. Perhaps there was an excess of commuing and some padding, but hardly spamming. All of it made sense in context, it was still about Heroica and it often still involved the situations at hand. (wondering if Wren was affecting the books using Cronk's guess about Hans, anything about the potions, ect...)

If you felt like you couldn't talk, why not tell our characters to move on like Galan did? Since he hinted that we should stop talking, the two of us have been focusing more on the plot rather than Character development.

Hostile? Read it again please. "Spamming?" I said "almost," twice! And they were bolded and underlined! "own world?" Well, that's how I felt. :hmpf: And I also said "I don't mean to be rude."

"All of it made sense in context, it was still about Heroica and it often still involved the situations at hand."

?? What I managed to read was about Mata Nui, bionicle, different worlds, etc.

Yes, this is an RPG, I said it's fine to roleplay.

"But if you don't talk to me about it, I can't do anything."

I am, right now. I don't think PM'ing on this is right. If you (again) read my post clearly, you would've saw I asked the opinion of OTHER's, impossible to do in a PM.

Well... he already said to get a move on.... if I repeated it, would I sound "hostile?"

Anyways, of course Dekra and Arthur would be asking questions, I merely asked if Walls of Text are the appropriate way to display RPing in a Quest Topic people are trying to read.

I'm just stopping by for a minute, I have to go to dinner, but I just wanted to let you know I DID read this, and I am working on a response. I will post it when I get back. :wink:

Thanks. :classic:

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

Sylph waits to see what the potion does to Durkon. Hoping for baleful polymorph.

Durkon, thinking he has gained magical powers or abilities, picks up Sylph and drops him onto the floor dealing 1 damage. Sylph gets up, and then the party sees the true nature of what the potion does... At first, nothing. Then, Durkon morphs into a rabbit... Until the party finds a cure to the potion, Durkon cannot fight, and someone that can talk to animals must translate messages.

Mwahahahahaha!

Karma's a bunny, ain't it. :wink::smug:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Is it just me, or does it look like someone's gonna bust down the wall in the back?

heroicaquest33-ziegfriedmanor2.jpg

EDIT: And then steal the gem, just like in all the movies.

Edited by Bricksandparts

Is it just me, or does it look like someone's gonna bust down the wall in the back?

Maybe the wall's alive. :look::grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Hmm, makes me think of one main enemy the quest is about... You wouldn't say it's Violetta, would you? :laugh:

"It's a real beauty, ain't it? And that pedestal is inlaid with so many magic spells that nothing can break through it. Now, here's the plan. We will seal you three inside this room for the night while me and my brother stands guard outside. There is only one entrance to that room, and the only way through it will be over our dead bodies. Even if the Wolfgang woman manages to trick her way past us, you will catch her red-handed."

But of course she will get it, and escape...

I'm just gonna shut up before Sandy gets all mad at me. :laugh:

Edited by Bricksandparts

Xarrzan: perhaps you are right, but I disagree on one main point. The talks, at least to me, occurred after Skrall and Cronk had calmed the groups, so it seemed like some side talk would be fine. If the heroes were still choosing their attacks then yeah, it would have been out of place, but I felt like everyone had been talked down. At the moment I felt like the groups were feeling up each other, and one talk led to another. I agree that the odds are that players here are not hostile, but intent is hard to read over the computer. Plus certain, potentially innocent, key words were said that provoked me. And intent aside, it is hard to notice anything but a key phrase.

Hostile? Read it again please. "Spamming?" I said "almost," twice! And they were bolded and underlined! "own world?" Well, that's how I felt. :hmpf: And I also said "I don't mean to be rude."

"All of it made sense in context, it was still about Heroica and it often still involved the situations at hand."

?? What I managed to read was about Mata Nui, bionicle, different worlds, etc.

Yes, this is an RPG, I said it's fine to roleplay.

"But if you don't talk to me about it, I can't do anything."

I am, right now. I don't think PM'ing on this is right. If you (again) read my post clearly, you would've saw I asked the opinion of OTHER's, impossible to do in a PM.

Well... he already said to get a move on.... if I repeated it, would I sound "hostile?"

Anyways, of course Dekra and Arthur would be asking questions, I merely asked if Walls of Text are the appropriate way to display RPing in a Quest Topic people are trying to read.

Thanks. :classic:

In order:

I read it many times before I replied. Saying "I don't mean to be rude" and "almost" does not negate evety impact words have, from one who knows. Rather the words still stand out, and in fact reading them multiple times can make the words/phrases seem "louder." Likewise tone can not be read on the internet, and thus it is impossible to know when someone is being sarcastic or sincere. If you were innocent of hostility I apologize, but that is how it came across to me.

I do not deny the Bionicle things were not connected to the events at hand, but you bunched it all together in an absolute that we were off in our "own world." (which is insulting in oh so many ways, half of them probably unintentional on your part. Still, a berserk button is a berserk button) For an example of plot related speaking one of the things De'kra suggested to Arthur was that Wren might be involved in the journals, which directly involves the plot. We also spent a fair amount of posts discussing the potions we got from the cultists, and whether or not Arthur should drink it. Arthur also suspected if Karzahni was connected to Abraxas, a foe around since Quest 3. And the mention of Olisi was De'kra's subtle way of seeing if Arthur's behavior was because he saw a possible future version of himself doing terrible things.

The thing is that you didn't talk to us first, or at least me. Instead you spoke right to the entire Roleplaying group without giving us a chance to talk about it in private or for us to stop. There was a time and a place to ask other players about this, but shouldn't the players you were singling out by name have a chance to give their take on it first? And why use names? Just ask what players think about large amounts of roleplaying and walls of text in general, you don't have to put anyone on a metaphorical chopping block by naming them.

You had claimed you were having a hard time jumping in, so I had assumed that you would have been online reading for sometime before Galan's comment, and thus would have had plenty of time to hint to move on. I apologize for misunderstanding. There were plenty of ways to word it without being hostile. Like not talking about the discussion of Arthur and De'kra at all, but agreeing that the missions were indeed urgent and/or collaborating about what plan of action to take. Nothing has to be directly said to players, subtly is fine.

Again, you didn't ask if walls of text were good. You asked if De'kra and Arthur's walls of texts were good. Once you name names, it changes the game. Suddenly it isn't a behavior being analyzed, but individuals. And even if done innocently or just to list examples, it can make the individuals feel like they are being probed and judged.

Likewise tone can not be read on the internet, and thus it is impossible to know when someone is being sarcastic or sincere. If you were innocent of hostility I apologize, but that is how it came across to me.

That's true. So it is understandable on your part.

I do not deny the Bionicle things were not connected to the events at hand, but you bunched it all together in an absolute that we were off in our "own world." (which is insulting in oh so many ways, half of them probably unintentional on your part. Still, a berserk button is a berserk button)

If the "own world" was insulting, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

The thing is that you didn't talk to us first, or at least me. Instead you spoke right to the entire Roleplaying group without giving us a chance to talk about it in private or for us to stop. There was a time and a place to ask other players about this, but shouldn't the players you were singling out by name have a chance to give their take on it first? And why use names? Just ask what players think about large amounts of roleplaying and walls of text in general, you don't have to put anyone on a metaphorical chopping block by naming them.

Of course I used names, the post was also about how I was unable to join in on the discussion and left out because I know little on the matters you two are discussing. Why wouldn't I say De'kra and Arthur?

Anyways, sorry if that was rude, I'm still waiting on what Flipz will say.

That's exactly why I asked where the room in the manor was and if the pedestal could be moved. To get it away from the wall. :tongue:

That's true. So it is understandable on your part.

If the "own world" was insulting, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

Of course I used names, the post was also about how I was unable to join in on the discussion and left out because I know little on the matters you two are discussing. Why wouldn't I say De'kra and Arthur?

Anyways, sorry if that was rude, I'm still waiting on what Flipz will say.

Okay

Okay

Because it singles individuals out. As I said, it no longer is about a situation where there is a lot of roleplaying and it is hard to jump into, it is about individuals who are making things harder for everyone. It shifts from a discussion about a situation, to a blame game. I suppose if it had focused more on the where/when (Quest 29/31 crossover) rather than the who (De'kra and Arthur) it would have been easier to swallow, as no one was directly blamed for the situation. But in giving names the focus can shift to the individuals causing the situation.

Understood, I apologize if I got overzealously defensive.