Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD feature requests

Simply the option will select a "special coloured" palette (with hight visibility) instead than the selected colour.

Obviously the picked brick will have the selected colour when dragged into the scene.

An idea could be a checkbox next to the colour palette: if unflagged LDD would work as it do now, if flagged it would use the special colour palette.

I wish they would let one have influence on the instructions e.g. use the grouped pieces or templates that one uses for submodels in the instructions. For larger buildings the instructions are totally crap is my experience.

Definitely my wish, too. I generated instructions for the TIE Bomber set that I redid in LDD, and since the sliding sub-model that lets the bombs fall out isn't attached, LDD decided that the bomb dropper was the main model, and the rest of the bomber was a sub-assembly! :wacko:

Simply the option will select a "special coloured" palette (with hight visibility) instead than the selected colour.

Obviously the picked brick will have the selected colour when dragged into the scene.

An idea could be a checkbox next to the colour palette: if unflagged LDD would work as it do now, if flagged it would use the special colour palette.

I just build in the most visible colors and use the paint tool to change the colors in the model to avoid this problem, but I agree it's a problem that should be addressed.

Or instead of having special palette, the white pieces could be outlined in black and the black pieces outlined in white, so you can see the pieces' features.

Or instead of having special palette, the white pieces could be outlined in black and the black pieces outlined in white, so you can see the pieces' features.

It is not so easy: it could work for little bricks, but big bricks are too "dense", and the risk is that outlining every border the result is... confused.

Besides LDD programmers shuold modify how bricks is rendered, and I think it could not be so easy.

It could be an help, however, if done.

It is not so easy: it could work for little bricks, but big bricks are too "dense", and the risk is that outlining every border the result is... confused.

Besides LDD programmers shuold modify how bricks is rendered, and I think it could not be so easy.

It could be an help, however, if done.

I think they should anyway change the way the elements are rendered, for your ability to distinct the seperate elements in the model. Once they get that fixed or similar to al the other legocad software available the elements in the menu will be better as well.

I'm agree.

The option tu add borders to bricks is very useful during construction fase and one of the most desidered voices of the wishlist.

But I think this different rendering helps but not solved the problem of bricks' visibility in the palette.

Another "wish" could be a "hight quality rendering" with anti aliasing and better illumination, useful for screenshots (it could be too slow for standard use).

• The addition of many more new pieces (LDD seems to be missing the 30.4 VR wheel, among others);
  • Show the names of colours in the palette;
  • The ability to unhide pieces using the Hide tool;
  • More realistic rendering of bricks when requested;
  • The ability to organise the different parts manually;
  • The ability to search for different parts by name (although many Lego names aren't consistent with BrickLink names, which I'm used to);
  • Placing items onto non-studded bricks (e.g. wheels onto tiles);
  • Calculating the stability of a model (useful when using pieces that are affected by gravity, like ball joint plates and tiles);
  • Someone please explain how to use the Hinge Align tool;
  • Buttons for automatic camera positions (orthagonal, side view, top down etc.);
  • Pick tool for repeatedly adding a brick already in the model (the Clone tool does this, but you have to pick the brick again after copying and adding it);
  • Take screenshots of the model with the background (or turn the background off);
  • Improved grouping of model pieces.

• Show the names of colours in the palette;
    Good wish ;) It would be very useful.
  • The ability to unhide pieces using the Hide tool;
    It is already possible, simply clicking on the figure on the top-right.
  • More realistic rendering of bricks when requested;
    The same I requested above :) Useful for screenshots.
  • The ability to organise the different parts manually;
    What do you mean? Something different from "groups"?
  • The ability to search for different parts by name (although many Lego names aren't consistent with BrickLink names, which I'm used to);
    I think this is the most requested feature :P I use to refer to peeron's names and numbers, but I think using LDD would be easy to learn common terms.
  • Placing items onto non-studded bricks (e.g. wheels onto tiles);
    Time ago, I proposed a "drop" feature. The aim is similar.
  • Someone please explain how to use the Hinge Align tool;
    Look at this
  • Buttons for automatic camera positions (orthagonal, side view, top down etc.);
    Right click on a brick center view on that brick. You mean that?
  • Pick tool for repeatedly adding a brick already in the model (the Clone tool does this, but you have to pick the brick again after copying and adding it);
    You can already set this feature as an option. I think it would be useful a simplier way to active/deactivat that.
  • Take screenshots of the model with the background (or turn the background off);
    You already can do it in view mode.
  • Improved grouping of model pieces.
    Which improvements? I'd like
    - work on a group: every brick I use is automatically added to the selected group (now I've to add pieces manually later)
    - An update button to refresh groups (Now I've to do it manually removing and re-adding a brick from the main group in order to force refresh)
    - a "group" horizontal bar, in order to easily access to groups while working with bricks.

Edited by Calabar

Excellent ideas. Hopefully many of them will be in 4.0.

Can you explain a bit more on the following:

[*]The ability to unhide pieces using the Hide tool;

You mean clicking on the same button? Please explain

[*]The ability to organise the different parts manually;

I guess you mean in the brick palette, i.e. move them to other categories etc, or?

[*]Someone please explain how to use the Hinge Align tool;

Well, to my understanding it's mostly for technic pieces (aligning beams etc).

[*]Take screenshots of the model with the background (or turn the background off);

Isn't this the same as Ctrl-K - taking a screenshot, which gives you a white background

[*]Improved grouping of model pieces.

In which way would you like it to work

* Addition of Lego Technic Engine / Cylinder / Crankshaft assemblies. I believe these are still used in many models, especially the engine crank-shaft elements which can shift an axel by 0.5.

* A recently used palette (like last 5 elements or MS Office multiple clipboard). I know I could just place the elements on screen and use them as needed, but then I might have to zoom / spin around a lot and loose useful camera views.

* Slide / scroll bars around the edge of the screen which can help pan and shift the view. Zooming in and out or Shift + right click is ok, but sometimes it is useful to slide along the principle axis (I believe ML Cad has this).

* With regards to earlier comments about placing multiple elements together; it would be good to have a 'right click' and 'nudge to left element', nudge to right element' (etc) and 'nudge manual...' (brings up dialog box and allows you to specify the nudge as a fraction of a stud, e.g. 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc.

* Dimensionalise! I use this a lot in autocad type programs; where ive joined multiple objects, perhaps rotated some, and want to know what the final dimensions are. It would be useful to nomimate two connection points and display the distance in stud lengths. Autocad has direct distance (3D length) and planar lengths - e.g. display the 3 X/Y/Z distances between two 3D points

* Object Projection during rotation. When aligning some elements it would be useful to have a vector projected along the principle axis of the object during movement. E.g. with the Hinge plate swivel, two vector lines would project along the 1x2 direction. These axis lines could be used to help final alignment.

* Annotation. Whilst there are bugs etc in LDD alignments, and missing items, it would be nice to add text to say 'elements here should actually be touching'. Or 'Place a 1/2 bush here'. Note localisation, i.e. due to different languages will always be a problem; so perhaps annotation could be like a call out; showing one or two pieces which can be cross out (wrong) or ticked (add here) or rotate (curved arrow).

* Improved element catagory groups (search). Seems to be requested a lot (in different forms), but the icons used to different elements are a little strange. For PaB and DBM it is probably fine to keep. In Universe mode it would be good to have more logical catagories (e.g. train elements, roof elements etc) or allow you to have the same element in multiple groups, or even 'my favorites' which can be stored (a little like the special colour palette files).

I still have to get to grips with the group function. In packages like Autocad, Coreldraw, etc, I expect to be able to select a group of elements, press CTRL + G, and then move / rotate the group as a whole. Perhaps im missing something in the visualisation.

The group could also be applied to the submodel problem of the instructions. I.e. grouped elements are built together. Even if it means lots of small groups are built at the start of the model, it would still make more sense than now.

Perhaps ive not found it yet - but a technic gear align mode would be good. Drag and drop new technic gear to its mate, and have it rotate so the teeth mesh properly (and then keep this rotation angle). For simple gear trains it would be useful.

At what point will LDD + universe mode shift from a childs design tool (with AFOL additions) into a more serious Lego CAD Design tool?

Edited by roamingstudio

lddscreenshot2.png

I want to be able to put something like this in to the grooves right in the middle, because if you try to put it in, it goes too far into one of the grooves and not enough into the other one. Because of this, this specific build can't go in all the way since the brick with the groove hits the brown tiles on top.

Here's the LXF File to show you what I mean. (It's on the back of the castle)

Edited by prateek

I want to be able to put something like this in to the grooves right in the middle, because if you try to put it in, it goes too far into one of the grooves and not enough into the other one. Because of this, this specific build can't go in all the way since the brick with the groove hits the brown tiles on top.

It's a known, and very annoying error. It has been reported, and I sure hope they fix this one!

Some very interesting ideas here. I'm collecting all ideas from all of us here at the forum and forwarding them to the LDD team, and I'll do the same with this list.

My comments in italic below

* Addition of Lego Technic Engine / Cylinder / Crankshaft assemblies. I believe these are still used in many models, especially the engine crank-shaft elements which can shift an axel by 0.5.

As I understand it, these are on the way

* A recently used palette (like last 5 elements or MS Office multiple clipboard). I know I could just place the elements on screen and use them as needed, but then I might have to zoom / spin around a lot and loose useful camera views.

Nice idea. I think there has been thoughts like this mentioned earlier, but I can remember exactly

* Slide / scroll bars around the edge of the screen which can help pan and shift the view. Zooming in and out or Shift + right click is ok, but sometimes it is useful to slide along the principle axis (I believe ML Cad has this).

Can you explain this with some example, I'm not sure I understand

* With regards to earlier comments about placing multiple elements together; it would be good to have a 'right click' and 'nudge to left element', nudge to right element' (etc) and 'nudge manual...' (brings up dialog box and allows you to specify the nudge as a fraction of a stud, e.g. 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc.

It has been up before, but is noted again!

* Dimensionalise! I use this a lot in autocad type programs; where ive joined multiple objects, perhaps rotated some, and want to know what the final dimensions are. It would be useful to nomimate two connection points and display the distance in stud lengths. Autocad has direct distance (3D length) and planar lengths - e.g. display the 3 X/Y/Z distances between two 3D points

Sounds interesting - can you explain some examples when this would be useful.

* Object Projection during rotation. When aligning some elements it would be useful to have a vector projected along the principle axis of the object during movement. E.g. with the Hinge plate swivel, two vector lines would project along the 1x2 direction. These axis lines could be used to help final alignment.

Good one!

* Annotation. Whilst there are bugs etc in LDD alignments, and missing items, it would be nice to add text to say 'elements here should actually be touching'. Or 'Place a 1/2 bush here'. Note localisation, i.e. due to different languages will always be a problem; so perhaps annotation could be like a call out; showing one or two pieces which can be cross out (wrong) or ticked (add here) or rotate (curved arrow).

Oh yes, I've been wanting this for a long time too. It would be so great for communiating around model designs too.

* Improved element catagory groups (search). Seems to be requested a lot (in different forms), but the icons used to different elements are a little strange. For PaB and DBM it is probably fine to keep. In Universe mode it would be good to have more logical catagories (e.g. train elements, roof elements etc) or allow you to have the same element in multiple groups, or even 'my favorites' which can be stored (a little like the special colour palette files).

To start with, the categorisation struction at TLG is more logical than what appears in LDD. The problem in LDD is that to get a gripable number of categories, the had to combine several TLG categories. So what we see in LDD is actually a mix of categories within each category. So first step would be to get LDD display the original TLG categories. I know LDD developers are very careful about creating a separate structure for LDD, since it would mean so much extra work. The interesting thing with LDD is that we're actually in many cases looking directly into the TLG structure, naming conventsions, color codes etc.

We'll see what happens in this area in the future, because I know the the LDD developers themselves are not 100% happy with the categories either, but it was the best they could do.

I still have to get to grips with the group function. In packages like Autocad, Coreldraw, etc, I expect to be able to select a group of elements, press CTRL + G, and then move / rotate the group as a whole. Perhaps im missing something in the visualisation.

The reason the grouping works like it does, is beause it was simple to implement with the time that was at hand. Bascially they just had to add a one way reference/lookup-table (Brick A belongs to Group X). This means that it's very easy to select a group and mark which bricks it includes on the screen. However, going the other way would involve much more work, since you'd have to reverse look-up wich other bricks belong to that group, that a brick might be in several groups, and so on. But hopefully in future versions of LDD, the will have more time to develop a proper grouping function.

The group could also be applied to the submodel problem of the instructions. I.e. grouped elements are built together. Even if it means lots of small groups are built at the start of the model, it would still make more sense than now.

Perhaps ive not found it yet - but a technic gear align mode would be good. Drag and drop new technic gear to its mate, and have it rotate so the teeth mesh properly (and then keep this rotation angle). For simple gear trains it would be useful.

Oh yes, this is highly wanted. Today you have to, as you have noticed, rotate the technic gears slightly for the cogs to engage.

At what point will LDD + universe mode shift from a childs design tool (with AFOL additions) into a more serious Lego CAD Design tool?

We'll see if LDD 4 will give us some clue about the direction of LDD

I'll elaborate...

The ability to unhide pieces using the Hide tool;

Sometimes when using the Hide tool, I'd accidentally click on a piece I didn't want to hide - and then I'd have to reset the hidden pieces and start over.

On second thought it would probably be too tricky to use the same tool to unhide pieces: I would suggest there be a second tool (which only appears if pieces are hidden) which can select hidden pieces to unhide.

The ability to organise the different parts manually;

Yes, moving them to different categories, or perhaps custom part groups. I suggest this mainly because specific kinds of parts (like doors, windows and hinges) are spread across different groups - some in groups I'd have no idea they were in.

Take screenshots of the model with the background (or turn the background off);

One can take a screenshot of the model with a white background at the moment with the shortcut or menu item. (Actually it creates a PNG with alpha transparency, which is cool). If I ever wanted to take a picture of the model with one of the backgrounds provided in LDD, I'd have to do a screen capture and then go into my favourite image editing program. Just thinking it might be a useful feature for someone.

Improved grouping of model pieces.

It turns out I was confused about the way groups worked in LDD. I thought it worked like other 3D programs, where I could click on a part in a group and it would select the rest of the parts in that group as well (similar to the connected selector). I just found that grouped parts are selected in one of the tabs on the left, rather than clicking on parts in the model.

I see this has been requested before!

I managed to figure out how the Hinge Align tool is used from watching a YouTube video. One of the problems I've faced is trying to make a minifig grip the handlebar piece, which I thought it was for.

Edited by SilentMode

A moc up picture = 1000 words. Unfortunately I have used 86.39k of my 100k global upload quota... somehow?

Ill try to link in from a website.

Ldd1000Words.gif

Scroll bars (stolen from word) to move the object left / right and up / down within the current field of view (pan).

A third scroll bar could be used to move forwards / backwards (but not zoom).

Edited by roamingstudio

A moc up picture = 1000 words.

OK, gotcha!

Regarding dimension lines though - just to make my slow brain full understand:

In what situations would they be good to have? Besides giving you information about distances etc, is there any particular design/build situation when they would be handy that you've come across?

1.Allow me to build with odd angles!I can build it for real why not in LDD.

2.Tighter allowances around minifigures!

3.Allow minifigure hands to be used seperatly!

4.Allow me to hinge all parts connected to hinged piece!

5.Allow any part to be in any color even if it does`nt really exist,simple tool for color matching.

6.Allow me to have the option to enable/disable high definition models(as long as you have the hardware).

7.Allow me to build a minigun without having to put in the 1x1 plate to lift up the minifigure binoculars so the don`t touch.

I'll elaborate...

The ability to unhide pieces using the Hide tool;

Sometimes when using the Hide tool, I'd accidentally click on a piece I didn't want to hide - and then I'd have to reset the hidden pieces and start over.

On second thought it would probably be too tricky to use the same tool to unhide pieces: I would suggest there be a second tool (which only appears if pieces are hidden) which can select hidden pieces to unhide.

When you build more complex MOC's (like SNOT construction inside small area's eg a trainbody), and you want to change the inside part, you can use the hide button to make the inside visible.

My problem is that the bricks are not visible, but still count as a possible barrier to place new bricks.

Sometimes a brick can't be placed, because a invisible brick is in the way.

The invisible brick that is touching the new brick to be placed, should light up (or show the light blue outline, so you can see what the problem is.

Alternative: make a second type of hide: hide the bricks so you can see throu them, but show the outline. These bricks may not be selectable. Simply show them where they are

In what situations would they be good to have? Besides giving you information about distances etc, is there any particular design/build situation when they would be handy that you've come across?

Recently I was setting up some SNOT ideas, and wanted to build at odd spacing / gaps (e.g. compare the train base above with the studs of the tanker which lay perpendicular) - short of building every combination (which is what I eventually did) it would have been useful to build and say - this combination of parts = 7 studs, another combination is 7.2, therefore would not fit. (in the end I used the 'snap' feature to prove whether they would fit).

Or you place some parts artistically / aesthetically, and then need to work out the best way to set up intermediate parts to complete the build. An example - I am working on a small shunter / switcher engine which incorpoates the battery box as part of the chassis, but I needed to know height tolerances on the wheels in order to make parts work. I eventually built by hand and measured for myself.

How many people build a model and then want to know how big it is - and sit there counting studs?.

Im sure dimensionalise is actually a low priority feature... but it would be nice.

Another aspect would be to measure the angle between two parts. Ill update the picture above to illustrate; but better visualised with hinge / swivel plates.

Hi there benhead.

Good ideas, but I'm not sure I understand them all. If the ideas should be possible to understand, they need to be more clearly explained. My comments in blue below:

1.Allow me to build with odd angles!I can build it for real why not in LDD.

What kind of odd angles do you mean? Can you please link to some MOCs/pictures that shows examples.

2.Tighter allowances around minifigures!

Not sure I follow? Do you have some examples?

3.Allow minifigure hands to be used seperatly!

OK, I understand this one :classic: However, the minifig hand was never intended as a separate building piece, and that may be why TLG decided not to use in their sets, and hence why it's not in LDD. Interestingly though, the bottom half of hte 2x2 turntable, which is also a "lose" piece has been used in an official Lego set (Tah Mahal for example), but I guess the difference is that the dturntable comes delivered in two halfs in the box, whereas the minifig hands are pre-mounted.

4.Allow me to hinge all parts connected to hinged piece!

Que?

5.Allow any part to be in any color even if it does`nt really exist,simple tool for color matching.

Hm, that sonds pretty much like what LU-mode does. You do have LU-mode activated, right?

6.Allow me to have the option to enable/disable high definition models(as long as you have the hardware).

Agree completely. Let's see what LDD4 will bring us in this departement.

7.Allow me to build a minigun without having to put in the 1x1 plate to lift up the minifigure binoculars so the don`t touch.

Show an example please, link to a photo, please.

Camera viewpoints by using dummy pieces orso would be great (especially for making stop motion animations using ldd ;)).

Also searching for part names (I couldn't find the frog e.g., now I found it). As well as a better organisation of blocks in Universe mode.

Camera viewpoints by using dummy pieces orso would be great (especially for making stop motion animations using ldd ;)).

Better control of the camera views would be good, I agree. For the handy, there is actually a way to exactly control the camera. Since the last camera position is saved in the LXF-file, you could theoretically edit the LXF-file, open in LDD, take screenshot, edit LXF (move camera slightly) and so on (naturally done programmatically). Here's how the camera control looks in a typical LXF-file:

<Cameras>
   <Camera refID="0" fieldOfView="80" distance="45.073841094970703" transformation="-0.97664004564285278,0,0.21488156914710999,0.095206424593925476,0.89648967981338501,0.43271464109420776,-0.19263909757137299,0.44306463003158569,-0.87554770708084106,-3.8829848766326904,20.219125747680664,-33.864303588867188"/>
 </Cameras>

However, if anyone want's to give it a go, I say: Good Luck :tongue:

Also searching for part names (I couldn't find the frog e.g., now I found it). As well as a better organisation of blocks in Universe mode.

I want this too. Or maybe a part # search so we don't have to go to LDD Manager every time we need to find a piece.

Ofcourse Ship hull and bow pieces and those pearl gold bricks too, Steering wheel (The old on the ships) Mast pieces. there are so many many pieces wich i would want in it. But if i would say them all the list would never end i afraid. :)

Captain Becker