Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Hello.

I'm looking for tan parts for a military MOC. Could you recommend me sets with great values for these parts ?

Thanks.

Regards.

Lots of sets have many tan parts, though most of those parts are geared architecturally. If I were you, I would buy a handful of those sets (or simply PaB or Bricklink a bunch of tan pieces), and then supplement with parts from City or Star Wars to get the military look.

I have $15 worth of VIP points and I'm eyeing the Cole NRG Spinner...

Are spinners worth the money if you aren't in to the game? If not, any alternatives that might be good?

Normally I would say no, but I personally think that the NRG spinners (and Lloyd's) are the exception to that rule. I got NRG Zane, and haven't regretted, and I expect that I might buy Cole and Jay as well at some point. Possibly even that training set with Kai. So even if you're not into spinners, I can attest for that set - though only if you like the minifigs, of course.

If you're looking for alternate ways to get the minifig, why not try Bricklink?

Any of Pharaohs Quest sets, Grand Emporium modular, SW Jabba's palace., Toy Story Woodys Roundup.

PQ is best choice bu its mostly gone form shops, so I would choose Grand Eporiom. It has lots of parts for modest price.

Of those choices, I would definitely choose the GE (which indeed, I have). Jabba's Palace has an insane PtP ratio (in the bad way), and Woody's Roundup isn't too good in that area either - plus, most of the figures are rather low on versatility. Pharao's Quest sets are good parts packs and decent showcase sets, but the GE beats them by far on both points.

Edited by Multiverse

I have $15 worth of VIP points and I'm eyeing the Cole NRG Spinner...

Are spinners worth the money if you aren't in to the game? If not, any alternatives that might be good?

If you're not interested in the game, and you like NRG Cole, I'd say it's a good buy (although, if you were in to the game, he doesn't have very good cards), his golden weapon has useful pieces. (However, IMHO he's not the coolest, neither is his spinner, but the crown is nice - although crowns, and spinners, arn't that useful in MOCing.) One note though, he's not as bright as he looks, or as bright as the other NRG.

Ceroknight - I have a handful of spinners and am not into Ninjago at all. The spinners are actually fun to just spin like a top and watch them go around the room. I know my toddler daughter loves that. The figures are indeed cool looking and that is the reason why I bought them. I say, if you want that set, go for it! If you don't want the spinner, you could look into bricklink, but I did that recently and they were sometimes just as (if not more) expensive plus shipping than just buying the spinner set and you don't get the weapons. That's why I almost always buy straight from LEGO or a distributor. Bricklink and eBay are hard to beat the MSRP most often (unless of course you want one figure from a $100 set). And the fact that he would be free with VIP points is all the better. I agree that using the VIP points for something more expensive is a good idea because then you get a much better deal, but if this is what you want, then do it! Live the LEGO life with no regrets.

Thank you for all the replies! I'm hesitant to buy from places like ebay of bricklink for the reasons TheLegoDr has mentioned, and with the topic of fake minifigures being sold, I prefer buying from Lego..

I would save my points for something bigger, but apparently my points are going to be expired soon, so might as well use them.. :tongue:

It's just a shame the NRG versions of Jay or Zane are sold out.. :sceptic:

So the Maersk Train and Hayabusa sets...really tempted to get them but not sure...the Maersk train I like but I always though it was quite overpriced (yes I get it the licensing issue but still).

I'm thinking it be better to get the Horizon Express instead of the Maersk Train but some input would be nice.

The Hayabusalooks like a half decent display model.

Edited by Canada_7

7597 Western Train Chase for 375 DKK (which amounts to roughly £40)? It's half off the regular price. I like the Toy Story movies, but I don't care about the minifigs at all. If I get it, it'll be for parts only. Should I?

Hello all!

It's my first post, but i have a serious problem: I must choose one of the following sets: Grand Emporium, Pet Shop or Millenium Falcon (7965).

I really have no idea which of them should I buy.

Please help.

Canada_7 - I like the looks of the trains, but I don't currently own any (apart from Hogwarts Express 2010). I think the Maersk train is a huge hit because of the rare Maersk blue color. The train does look nice, but which would go with your layout better. A light blue train or an orange train. I think the Horizon Express looks neat too and it might be more functional for a city layout. But that Maersk blue is nice to have also. And I know nothing about the Hayabusa. I'd say go for whatever you can afford!

Multiverse - It looks like a nice set, but I don't know about that price. And the fact it is half-off seems disturbing to me. I didn't realize it was that expensive I guess. I think if you aren't into the minifigures at all you might want to look into if bricklinking the pieces would be any cheaper. Or just setting out for the exact pieces you think you need or want. Most sets I buy I want the figures AND the pieces, but there are times when some of the pieces don't work out with what I want to use them for. I'd suggest going to bricklink or peeron and look at the inventory and see if there actually is enough pieces to justify that price tag. I wanted the Monster Fighter Castle but when I looked at it some of the pieces weren't as usable as I thought. Now you probably could sell off the minifigures and make some of the money back. That just sounds like a lot of money for a parts pack. Unless you absolutely need those specific pieces for something.

Bubu - Welcome to EB. You should head on over to the Introduction board to get a few more tips on how things work around here. Those sets are a little varied. Are you a huge Star Wars nut? Or do you prefer to build modulars? I haven't built the Pet Shop yet, but the Grand Emporium is a nice looking structure when complete. Obviously the figure selection isn't ideal if you are into detailed figures or even Licensed themes, but the build makes up for it. I'd get the Grand Emporium before the Pet Shop since it will be discontinued earlier and it has more pieces for the same price. The Millennium Falcon is a nice looking build. I only recently got into Star Wars and I think it fits the iconic ship nicely and with a great figure selection. But since it is Licensed and a ship instead of a building it has about 1,000 fewer pieces. I think it goes back to the ultimate question, do you want a great display piece as a ship (it might even be pretty swooshable) or do you want a nice city building to display. Since I already have the Modulars I would obviously go with the ship, but if I was looking at all three in front of me at a store, I may actually lean towards the Falcon just because of those figures. Thanks, now I want one.

Hello all!

It's my first post, but i have a serious problem: I must choose one of the following sets: Grand Emporium, Pet Shop or Millenium Falcon (7965).

I really have no idea which of them should I buy.

Please help.

BuBu- Based on recommendations on here, I got the GE. While the outside is amazing, I was kinda disappointed on the top 2 floors. They were sparse with just toys on those floors. But the outside, roof and bottom floor is great. Plus the top 2 floors offers me a chance to MOC those levels. I also have the MF and while I'm not a huge Lego Star Wars fan, I LOVE the movies. I got the MF as a gift and probably wouldn't buy it on my own. Having built, I think it is awesome and brought me back to the movies. There are so many neat features that they pack in there. After building it, I would have bought it had I known what a great build it was. You really can't go wrong with either but I would go with the GE as it probably will be go sooner than the MF (not by much though I think). Pet Shop is next on my list after the Winter Cottage (which I'm ordering tonight) and Fire Brigade.

Lego Trainspotters, help me!

I'm thinking of buying a train, probably not going to get into trains in a big way because it's one of the more expensive flavors of Lego, but I'd like to dabble. So, maybe buying one set to start with, and seeing where it goes from there. My question is, is it a better idea to get one of the "AFOL trains", like Maersk or the Horizon Express, because those guys are awesome display sets and will likely become collector's items in the future - or to buy one of the three "starter sets" currently available and thus have track, and PF, and some accessories, but have a train that is indisputably inferior to the Maersk and the HE and isn't much to display?

I have to say, I'm loving the looks of the Horizon Express. Gorgeous model. But I can't help thinking that if I buy it, I'm totally going to want to motorize it and run it on some tracks pretty soon.

Another factor that might make a big difference: I'm not going to be able to set up a permanent train layout. No room in our house at the moment. So if I do go with the tracks, it's strictly "set up, play, pack up" until we move to a bigger house.

I'm not a huge train fan (yet), and I only own two of the Red passenger trains, which i bought pretty impulsivelly. I liked their looks, and the fact that were motorized and had some track included. In this respect, I'd suggest you go for the motorized trains if you're interested in running the train around you flat. If not, or if your main interest is in the looks and style, the Horizon Express seems a nice deal. I like HE a lot, and will likely buy when it becomes available locally, but is missing the motors. Well, for train techs that's not a problem, as they're likely to have extra PFs available. For newcomers (like you and me), it's nice to have the basic PFs and some track included. If budget is not a problem, I'd suggest you go with two sets, HE and Red passenger train.

Just realised I've saved up £35 in tesco clubcard points and with their exchange happening at xmas that gives me £70 to spen on either 7965 Millenium Falcon or 8097 Slave 1, but i'm torn between which to buy myself, assuming you didn't have any of the previous versions which would you buy and why?

Just realised I've saved up £35 in tesco clubcard points and with their exchange happening at xmas that gives me £70 to spen on either 7965 Millenium Falcon or 8097 Slave 1, but i'm torn between which to buy myself, assuming you didn't have any of the previous versions which would you buy and why?

I'd go with the Slave 1, as it's the older of the two sets and may not be around much longer. Though I personally like the Falcon better due to the great build and selection of main characters, I'd have to go with the set that might not be there next time.

Gryphon Ink- since you don't have the space available to set up a track properly, I'd go with 10219 Maersk Train. Like you said, it's a great display piece and it's sure to be a collectors favorite.

I'm buying the Mini Modulars for a gift, which gives me the handy excuse of "needing" to spend $20 more to get free shipping from S@H. What's a good $20-25 set at the moment? Looking mostly for something that will be a fun build and if possible have some handy parts, and would prefer to stay away from licensed sets. Thanks!

Thanks, Gryphon Ink & Teardrop Trashcan! Good options. I think I may get the Treehouse, on the grounds of it just being adorable (and having some nice, different colors!).

Hi guys

I'm having a bit of dilemma on whether to keep or return both my Lego creator set (lighthouse island & apple tree house). I got it together for a total of $69 US dollars including taxes. On one hand I just don't know how well Lego creator houses fit in with Lego City, and is it more for modeling or is it playable? I really like the old Lego creator set as well as Hlllside house because there are lots of room inside for play-ability. However should I return it despite getting it for 27% off and instead get Lego Friends line instead? I never had a building set in my life so I don't know what it would be like. I also want the Lego police station because I didn't have many toys as a kid much less a whole playset, but even at $80 USD it still too expensive despite the 20% off sale.

Give me your opinion of what you think of Lego Creator line?

Lastly I like the Lego Creator hideside house just like Lego Monster Fighters haunted house because it open up. I like building that is not missing any side or back and yet can be open up for play-ability. None of the friends line does this nor does the modular line since modular line open by removing floors instead of opening up like a book or those old micro machine sets.

Thanks

Edited by Chri5kng

I believe that this sort of question belongs in the 'Which set should I buy' thread -- or in this case, 'Which set should I have bought' :grin: Anyway, I will allow people to answer here for now but will merge it with the above eventually. :classic:

I actually really love the Creator line. I think it looks fantastic in my Lego City, and is in scale with the Modular buildings (if you use those). I try to pick up a bunch of the houses when they're on sale to fill out various parts of the more suburban parts of town. But to each their own, if you don't like the style, you are the one who has to live with it, and could probably buy a nice larger set for the same cost.

I say keep them. They work perfectly well in City layouts. 5770 Lighthouse Island will be a bit more difficult to use unless you have a bigger layout with water(obviously). 5891 Apple Tree House is a great set that is a nice start to a suburban city area. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you want them or not.

I have both of those Creator sets you mentioned, they're really great IMO, especially the lighthouse. My collection doesn't contain any City structures, yet.

The Creator line does seem to be more model-ish, less play oriented than the CIty sets. I've not build a layout yet but in my mind the two could mix but they would have to be seperated a little? It wouldn't really look right IMO to have a badly planned street/layout that is a mish-mash of Modular Buildings, Creator, City and Friends as, like you said, they open differently. However, if you plan well I'm sure they could peacefully coexist.

I say keep them. They work perfectly well in City layouts. 5770 Lighthouse Island will be a bit more difficult to use unless you have a bigger layout with water(obviously). 5891 Apple Tree House is a great set that is a nice start to a suburban city area. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you want them or not.

I just wish I could see them first hand to know if I want it or not, wish I could see every lego set first hand....who wouldn't?