General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I saw them at the Lego store by the Flat Iron building on the lower east side in NYC. Its interesting that there using a licensed figure head as apart of there build a figure section. Is that a first?

I saw them at the Lego store by the Flat Iron building on the lower east side in NYC. Its interesting that there using a licensed figure head as apart of there build a figure section. Is that a first?

Don't think so... I have seen parts from spongebob, Lone Ranger, Star Wars etc, normally uninteresting torsos or legs, it's rare but not unheard of.

A long time ago I also spotted the light green helmets from the same ghost soldiers too and luckily picked some up

I finally managed to get helms deep brand new in box I have to say it's a great set. one thing I'm happy about is I ended up with one of the brown chest missprint aragorn minifigs are these figs worth more?

Did you get it online or did you find it in some store. I'm on vacation in the country side of France and a lot of toy stores out here don't keep up stock or don't get rid of all there products. So the stores still have wave 1 LOTR sets. a year ago they had an indiana jones set, speed racer sets from 2008, and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the black pearl when they had it about a year ago. I'm checking them out tomorrow so I hope to pick up helms deep.

Just an FYI, today I saw on the LEGO shop that Lord of the Rings has been removed from the shop options and Orthanc is listed as Sold Out with no buy option. Doesn't look like it will be coming back into stock this time. This goes without being said, but to kick a dead horse, if you haven't picked up Orthanc yet and were planning to, you should as soon as possible. Check your local Lego store. That is where I got mine a few weeks ago. I'm glad I decided to pick one up before they went out.

Are you in the U.S.?

I just checked again. Looks like it is back up to restock August 6th like you said. I don't know why it was gone earlier and said Sold Out. Either way, it's definitely getting close to the last chance!

Frodo does get pulled into a portal, but I don't know if that means that there will be a playable character for him. Of course, it would be good. They also keep showing Sauron.

The more LOTR fun packs and sets the better. Hopefully they can squeeze in a new in demand character.

Interesting chart but it does not reveal new info specifically about the Middle Earth licenses. But does show info I was unaware of on total license cost for a year.

Hey guys! Long time no see . :classic:

I believe I have found an interesting nugget of information on WIRED.COM

Am I the first eurobricks member to see this chart about lego licensing?

http://www.wired.com...legos_large.jpg

Interesting chart. Although I think that any correlation between licensing costs and profits is pure conjecture without more actual data.

Interesting chart. Although I think that any correlation between licensing costs and profits is pure conjecture without more actual data.

The chart shows revenue, not profit. Other costs have undoubtedly gone up. But we can all see how tiny the licence cost is compared to how much money comes in. And how insignificant other licences are compared with SW.

I believe that the blue is TLG's Total Revenue, not just their total revenue for licensed lines. Notice it extends before there were any licensed lines. Also note that Total Revenue does not indicate a profit.

It is interesting data but LEGO almost went bankrupt during the early years of the Star Wars license but that chart would not tell you that. The only expense it shows is licensing.

The chart tells me nothing as far as LotR. It doesn't give revenue (or profit) for just LotR or Hobbit, or even state it is just for licenses in general. It is interesting to see- but doesn't really tickle my bones at all!

The chart also seems to be wrong. It lists LotR as costing $1,303 if you buy the entire line. Wave one should have cost $373, wave 2 was $203, and Orthanc would have added another $200 to that. The total should be $776, not $1,303. I am guessing they added the Hobbit in with the LotR... but that doesn't make much sense considering they have the Hobbit listed separately on the very same chart.

Tower of Orthanc is 'sold out' now in USA, the Lord of the Rings theme gone too, with it. Now there is Scooby Doo, wheee! LOL

I dont know if this is the place to ask but I will do it any way, with the end of the Hobbit movies, how likely is that we will ever see a witch king or Sauron minifig?

I dont know if this is the place to ask but I will do it any way, with the end of the Hobbit movies, how likely is that we will ever see a witch king or Sauron minifig?

It's unlikely, unless lego decides to sell them in a lego dimensions set. :hmpf_bad:

So Dimensions has characters from the same theme being released in different waves. Dr Who characters are in waves 2 and 3. Back to the Future is in wave 1 and wave 3. Ghostbusters characters are in waves 3.4. and 5.

It is still possible that wave 6 may have LotR characters.

http://i.imgur.com/dHKprhP.png

That picture might not include all of waves 4 and 5, since both 2 and 3 have 6 figures, while 4 and 5 only have 3 or 4.

I really hope so. Any of the hobbits, but preferably old Bilbo, would be great to have - because they'll be able to print the mini legs this time around,

just like on the Rocket Racoon polybag and some of the Simpsons minifigures. It would certainly be a nice upgrade to all hobbits, and we only really need

that in reddish brown, dark brown and dark tan, preferably the two browns or then dark brown, if we must choose. And, considering the fact that many of the Dimensions sets have new molds, it would be great to get Sauron, the Witch-king and maybe a Gondorian soldier. LOTR is in the game, the fans want more figures, might as well use the opportunity...

Edited by General Magma

I'm sure we'll see more characters at some point. I can't imagine they'd leave out Frodo and Aragorn as playable characters. But I do really hope we see some new characters as well. Eowyn, Faramir, Sauron and the Witch-King are the four big ones for me.

I won't be happy if they start rehashing minifigures like Azog, Arwen, Tauriel, Mouth of Sauron, King of the Dead etc before them. Does anyone know how frequently the new waves will be released?

Edited by wesker

I'm sure we'll see more characters at some point. I can't imagine they'd leave out Frodo and Aragorn as playable characters. But I do really hope we see some new characters as well. Eowyn, Faramir, Sauron and the Witch-King are the four big ones for me.

Yeah, I hope we'll immediately get mini legs with printed feet along with that, too. I was going to make some LOTR customs to fill up the minifig gaps,

but I might as well wait a while and hope for official ones to show up. And, do we actually know the difference between Dimensions versions of Gollum, Gimli and Legolas

and the ones that came out in sets in 2012? I do believe there are some differences, namely some of the head prints. If they want to update any of the figures,

this would be a good chance for them. People have complained about the Aragorn figure before, so maybe they could give us that figure in a more accurate (or different) outfit.

We also keep seeing Sauron and I can't imagine them deciding not to release a figure of him. Might there be any other particular reason for them to keep showing close-ups of him?

Also, a bit off-topic, so I apologize for that beforehand, but I feel I must try it here since I'm having trouble finding them anywhere else - do any of you happen to have

any spare LOTR (or The Hobbit) figures you may be willing to trade? I'm mainly looking for Uruks, other generic soldiers/figs, Mouth of Sauron, Grima, Orthanc Saruman

and Gandalf the White, but this search has gone on for nearly two years now so I was hoping I'd be able to find someone who has 'em here. PM me, if you have any.

Edited by General Magma