So here is the pic review of:

Name: Cargo train deluxe

Ref: 7898

Theme: Train

Year: 2006

Pieces: 856

Minifigs: 5

Price: about 150

great review! we're finally getting nicely detailed sets it seems! *sweet* i like the blue truck the most... it's a shame they didn't produce a seperate set like this... :'-) what i don't like is this concept of a cargo train: it's got too many different types of wagons: one with a crane, one with a car, and two others that don't really belong together. i'd prefer 4 wagons of one type, but that's probably too boring for lego... :'-(

Great review, thanks Alex!

What I like most are the small stickers on the side of the waggons. They look very realistic (for European waggons, that is).

I agree with sne on the many different waggon types. A train with a few waggons of the same type wouldn't look all too bad and different colors could add variety. But the closed waggon looks simple enough to MOC.

If the set weren't that expensive I'd almost consider it...

Thank you for this wonderful review of a beautyful train set. *y*

Nice review Alex.

I really wantg this train and I'm going to ask it for my birthday.

I will keep the IR motor because I will be running it on 12v track

IR trains are good for 12v people. :-)

Does this train come in 9v version too as it is implied in alex's review? i want another train!

Calvin, I don't think that TLC will sell this train in a 9V version. If you want one, you have to buy a 9V motor.

Hobbes, I agree with you for the stickers, they bring a touch of realism.

But contrary to you and Sne, the fact that we have some diferrent wagons don't appear like a problem to me. In fact, with th same kind of wagons, the train would be more boring (and I think for the children too, the first market of TLC). But it would be nice to find the same wagons as individual sets, so if you want more than 1 red wagon, you can!

Sne, yes the blue truck is very nice! I know that I would buy this set even if it wasn't here, but is was a good reason to persuade me and my conscience when I saw the price :-D

Darthking623, yes I will put it in my town! But no now (I don't have the time for the moment to build it... :'-( )

Thank you Alex for your review! Now I'm even more sure I need to get this soon...

One question's been bothering me for some time now. Before and at the time when IR trains were released, there was some speculation whether or not one could use 1,2v rechargerable batteries in them. I don't remember anyone saying anything about that since, but has someone tried?

One question's been bothering me for some time now. Before and at the time when IR trains were released, there was some speculation whether or not one could use 1,2v rechargerable batteries in them. I don't remember anyone saying anything about that since, but has someone tried?

I dare say they'll definitely work. Non-rechargeables don't give you much more than 1.2V, either, 1.5V is the nominal voltage. And most electrical devices (not just LEGO) can work with that since the average progress of stress is around 1.2V (+/- 0.3V).

If you want to use rechargeables, use NiMH. They last longer, have more energy density and thus are available in capacities of up to 2700 mAh for AAs which is close to or more than a standard 1.5V AA (2200 to 2850 mAh). They also come without heavy metals (like Cadmium). Just make sure you use a charger that recognizes them and turns off after they're fully loaded. You can damage them by overloading.

It's a very nice set! I love almost everything, except the forklift truck, hopper wagon, and of course the IR system. It's the reason I went with 4512 as my first train instead of this. But I might consider buying this in the future and keeping it IR, just to mess around with.

I would agree with everyone. Nice job on the review *y* . The two IR sets made me concerned though. I am concerned that TLC will fade out the 9V system and bring in this system. I will be very >:-( if they do. I don't understand why TLC didn't research more into using both technologies together. Some how create a system similar to the model railroad industry. This industry uses both technologies together. I really think that if TLC could combine both, the train system would be a huge success for them. More people would look at it as a hobby, not a toy. I hope they have been doing research for 2007 or 2008. Maybe if enough of us mention it to them, they might look into it. I really hope they do not discontinue the 9V line.

Nice review Alex. Thanks for taking the time to post these images. I really like this train, but passed on it because it's not 9V.

Thanks for the great review, Alex! :-) This looks like a very tempting set with a lot of nice features (and tempting parts!). I'll agree with the sticker argument, and I'm glad you switched out the tracks. Those new dark bley ones without metal are just :-X They look so cheap :-/

It's a great set overall, I'd get it if the other themes weren't stealing all my money :'-(

Thanks for the new comments!

This set is really nice in fact. And I think that it's too bad to pass on it just because it's a RC train, because it's so easy make it a 9V one. Okay, you not only need some imagination, but some money too for the 9V motor... ;-) But I think that is worth it.