Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

I wonder if Lego will ever do a UCS style castle. I wouldn't care what faction it is or even if it is not much bigger then Lego's regular castles as long as it is highly detailed and full of play features like a court garden, training square, kitchen, large throne room, kings bed chamber, library and wizard observatory. Also, some horse stables, and a blacksmith would be awesome too.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I was just looking at some new Lego Dino pictures for 2012 on this toy website and I decided to look under Kingdoms just out of curiosity. And l found three new sets listed under Kingdoms besides all of the sets that have already come out. The prices are 99.99 and 59.99 for the other two.

They are Medieval Market Village (Mittelalterlicher Markt), Winter Village Toy Shop (Weihnachtlicher Spielzeuglade) and Winter Village Bakery (Weihnachtsbäckerei). Sorry. :sceptic:

They are Medieval Market Village (Mittelalterlicher Markt), Winter Village Toy Shop (Weihnachtlicher Spielzeuglade) and Winter Village Bakery (Weihnachtsbäckerei). Sorry. :sceptic:

Yeah, I found that out after I posted. What a letdown. :cry_sad: Ah, well maybe Lego will come out with a dragon castle next year. I have heard a lot of rumors that Lego LOTR is coming out so maybe those sets will be good too. I do have to say though that I am a little worried that Lego will botch LOTR like they botched POTC. If Lego did that I would be really disappointed.

Yeah, I found that out after I posted. What a letdown. :cry_sad: Ah, well maybe Lego will come out with a dragon castle next year. I have heard a lot of rumors that Lego LOTR is coming out so maybe those sets will be good too. I do have to say though that I am a little worried that Lego will botch LOTR like they botched POTC. If Lego did that I would be really disappointed.

I wouldn't say they botched PotC; I just think that PotC isn't as good a franchise at pushing merchandise as, say, Star Wars or SpongeBob SquarePants. With that said, it's possible that the sets did well, and TLG's just not confident they'll have lasting success when there aren't any new movies in theaters. The theme could easily come back when a new installment is over the horizon.

Of course, I tend to have a more positive view of a lot of sets than many people, so perhaps you're right and the PotC sets simply didn't meet customers' expectations.

This same factor, of course, does make me worry whether a LotR license would have staying power. And while I don't feel a theme has to be a multi-year success to be enjoyable, I would rather see TLG explore the potential of Kingdoms more thoroughly unless they feel another castle theme would offer more lasting creative opportunities.

I do think they "botched" POTC, but I don't know how they could have done better under the circumstances... the last movie just wasn't that popular by comparison, and half the sets - including the "big one," QAR, were from the new movie... and that after all the hype from the first three (especially the first one) had long since died down. I think, in order of popularity, the QAR would be last on the list of the "big three," IMO. I'm willing to bet the Black Pearl will do better than QAR.

... the last movie just wasn't that popular...

Not to be a stickler for a tickler but that movie actually did much better in theaters both in the US and around the world, but I agree they could have done a bit better on sets. :wink:

Let's keep hoping. Last year, I posted pics of 2011 Kingdoms sets on the Xmas week. We should see them in the new retailers' catalogue somewhere in this Dec. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm sorry guys but we've got the release schedule for the whole of 2012 at work now and Kingdoms isn't on it. Not a single Kingdoms set in whole 2012. Now there's an extremely slim chance that Lego Sweden has decided to not take in Kingdoms 2012 but that feels quite unlikely.

I'm sorry guys but we've got the release schedule for the whole of 2012 at work now and Kingdoms isn't on it. Not a single Kingdoms set in whole 2012. Now there's an extremely slim chance that Lego Sweden has decided to not take in Kingdoms 2012 but that feels quite unlikely.

Real shame... But I guess we were bracing ourselves for it because of the Joust set. Do you have any info on a replacement theme?

Didn't the same thing happen last year? By which I mean that this year's 4 Kingdoms sets hadn't yet been announced this time of year, resulting in everyone believing the line was discontinued?

I also believe that the late summer/autumn set informations actually not always come out until a few months into the year they're released.

I also believe that the late summer/autumn set informations actually not always come out until a few months into the year they're released.

I think the release schedule is an overlooked source of information. It doesn't contain any information on sets. It lists the themes that gets new sets in a specific month and also how many sets that theme gets.

Kind of like this:

January:

Minifigures 1

City 7

SW 9

Racers 4

Dino 5

Technic 4

cars 7

February:

March:

City 5

Superheroes 2

... and so on

(I just added random names and numbers to the list)

The list we have at work is for the full year. There are two new themes for 2 HY on that list that are yet to be confirmed and I believe that at least one of these themes hasn't been mentioned on this site at all.

Edited by Mirandir

This is just speculation but, I am really starting to wonder if Lego is doing LOTR/the Hobbit and since the two themes are so similar they are quitting Kingdoms for the LOTR/The Hobbit. There have been a lot of rumors lately that Lego has got the license and I remember a few years ago that a representative at TT was saying that they had the license to do a Lego The Hobbit game. I know that I would be pretty excited to get hobbit minifigs fleshy tone or not and I would also be really excited to get a smaug dragon fig. That would be just too awesome. :sweet:

Agreed! I will sorely miss Kingdoms and the absence of an in-store Castle line in 2012, but I will be extremely happy if I can get a couple theoretical Hobbit-related sets such as Bag End or Smaug the Dragon. Only time will tell for sure...

No Kingdoms in 2012? There had better be something for a Pirates & Castle fan like me... :cry_sad:

I look forward to hearing more details from you, Mirandir. Hopefully I will like one of those two new second-half themes. Thanks for commenting.

This can not be the end of kingdoms... I will not believe it!

I think we will see some summer sets announced later. Much like it happened last year.

The list we have at work is for the full year. There are two new themes for 2 HY on that list that are yet to be confirmed and I believe that at least one of these themes hasn't been mentioned on this site at all.

The speculation begins! But disappointing to see no new Kingdoms in 2012. (Besides the joust)

Not to be a stickler for a tickler but that movie actually did much better in theaters both in the US and around the world, but I agree they could have done a bit better on sets. :wink:

Let me rephrase that, then... it seems to me that the movie was much less well liked than the previous movies... on IMDB.com, out of ten stars, they go, in order: 8.0, 7.3, 7.0, 6.7.

So while a lot of people were happy for a new pirates movie, I think the... fandom? just wasn't as great this time around.

EDIT: Let me get back on topic, though... I, for one, will be a lot happier spending less on sets next year. I may not even buy the joust set... definitely not two. I only like the maiden in the green dress.

Edited by fred67

I think that Kingdoms is the worst castle theme ever and I hope that it will be replaced.

What is MMV?

I agree with PirateMatt opinion. It really need some changes.

This is so disappointing... do Lego have such a short attention span that they can't keep a theme running for more than two years any more?

This is so disappointing... do Lego have such a short attention span that they can't keep a theme running for more than two years any more?

I think it is probably more a case of their target market (ie kids) having the attention span of... erm children :tongue:

If there really are new themes coming out, they need to retire some so as not to compete with themselves (especially if they have indeed paid a lot for a licensed theme).

Edited by andhe

There are two new themes for 2 HY on that list that are yet to be confirmed and I believe that at least one of these themes hasn't been mentioned on this site at all.

So is there a new non-licensed Castle theme on its way?

I think it is probably more a case of their target market (ie kids) having the attention span of... erm children :tongue:

When I was too young to remember, my brother and I were given one of the early castle sets... we made good use of that set for a very, very long time. I was actually just as excited by the idea of more of the same back then as I am now. One of the things that drove me into my dark age was that themes started changing so fast that I felt disconnected from them.

I don't think Lego realise how attached children are to the toys they had when they were six when they turn eight. I must have watched each episode of the Transformers at least five times (that is, the original episodes before all of the cast changed and I didn't know who they were any more)

Edited by David Thomsen