Picked up 2 of the 8109 Motorized Flatbed Trucks at a local TRU today in Michigan, USA, they look pretty nice. Haven't seen the 8110 Lift Truck or the Unimog there yet, but they have a BOGO 50% off deal so couldn't resist getting 2 and saving one for resale down the road when they are retired and fetch more $$$.

Awesome! I think I may pick this set up in a few weeks.

My local TRU didn't have the flatbed, but they did have the lift truck and extreme cruiser or whatever it's called. The extreme cruiser was $60, which is waaayy too overpriced for that set. As nice as all the black panels are, I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it.

But anyways, the flatbed looks like a great set. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

@ dhc6winotter: The US ToysRUs website has the "Lego Technic 2-in-1 Flatbed Truck (8109) lsted for sale now here for $99.99. It qualifies for their Free Shipping offer; there's also a "Buy One Get One 50% Off" deal going on now. You'll have to find it in the store, since it is "Out of Stock for Shipping" right now. That will change.

Curiously, the same set is not yet available on the official Shop.Lego.com website for the USA.

pTRU1-10646925_alternate1_dt.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Interesting as I did the exact same purchase from TRU online last week. On Monday they had a $25 off offer as well if you used a Mastercard and free shipping!

It was a great deal getting two 8109 trucks for only $125+tax.

I'm looking forward to building this set.

Not in New Zealand yet, I guess it will not be in store till late september onwards. :sad:

@ dhc6winotter: The US ToysRUs website has the "Lego Technic 2-in-1 Flatbed Truck (8109) lsted for sale now here for $99.99. It qualifies for their Free Shipping offer; there's also a "Buy One Get One 50% Off" deal going on now. You'll have to find it in the store, since it is "Out of Stock for Shipping" right now. That will change.

Curiously, the same set is not yet available on the official Shop.Lego.com website for the USA.

Awesome, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to look on the TRU website. Doh! :laugh:

I think I may pick this set up in the next couple weeks.

Seems like us Americans are the last of the lot to get the new summer big Technic sets. Same thing happened last summer, most of Europe had them before we got them and like DLuders said, Lego S@H rarely has them first whereas TRU does and most in-store, which really is odd considering they get to TRU stores or their distribution centers shipped from Memphis, Tennessee Lego warehouse, yet the website usually does not have them until weeks later and when you call they don't even know when they will be getting them. Odd...

I know last summer I drove 60 miles south to a TRU in a smaller city, whereas the 3 in my area and I live in a large city had none of the new Technic items until much later, 2 of the 3 never getting them at all. I can recall going into TRU back in the 90's and seeing whole walls of Technic items but I was more into the 'System' line(Old City, no modular crap like nowadays) back then, but I do recall seeing a lot of Technic sets I wish I could get my hands on now MISB, most of them are 10x what they sold for retail then. Point is though, seems like Technic selection has dwindled down to next to nothing in my area (West Michigan). In fact, they aren't even going to stock the Unimog as originally they had planned to (I have a friend who works at a store and I get info from him on when and if their are shipments coming), the 8109 sold 6 in my area in only 1 store(I picked up 4 of them). I did get set # wrong on the Unimog when I started this thread, it is 8110, the bucket truck being 8071. All the stores in the area have tons of 8071's and the Extreme Cruisers, but Cruiser and Bucket Truck IMO look dopey, the 8292 Cherry Picker from 2008 far outweighs the 8071 and the 8297 4WD Off-Roader (the monster one from 07 or 08) far is a much larger, better example of an Off-Roader. For $60 its too steep for what little you get. Kind of like the red motorcycle from last year, it is cheesy when compared to the 8420 Cycle from 2005. That was a relic, loved it, unfortunately gave it to a friend's son who admired it to no end, wish I hadn't now...

Awesome, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to look on the TRU website. Doh! :laugh:

I think I may pick this set up in the next couple weeks.

I will buy this set soon and my guess is, I will love it. It look great, it seems to work like a charm and it has loads of panels.

I am probably not supposed to say this out loud, but maybe I will like this set better than the Unimog oh2.gif

(as a model, not for the parts of course)

Edited by Gekke Ted

I will buy this set soon and my guess is, I will love it. It look great, it seems to work like a charm and it has loads of panels.

I am probably not supposed to say this out loud, but maybe I will like this set better than the Unimog oh2.gif

(as a model, not for the parts of course)

Ha like it better than 8110' ur a gas man lol there's no comparison really :classic:

Ha like it better than 8110' ur a gas man lol there's no comparison really :classic:

Well....that's like....your opinion...dude default_laugh_new.gif (no offense, pun intented)

I agree, of course it's stupid to compare this set to the biggest Technic set TLC has ever produced, but some of you will understand what I mean.

(and indeed, I was a bit disappointed with the Unimog as a model, not with the new parts)

Edited by Gekke Ted

Well....that's like....your opinion...dude default_laugh_new.gif (no offense, pun intented)

I agree, of course it's stupid to compare this set to the biggest Technic set TLC has ever produced, but some of you will understand what I mean.

(and indeed, I was a bit disappointed with the Unimog as a model, not with the new parts)

In what way were u disappointed as most or 99% of people love it so I don't understand what u mean,iv got 8258/8265/8043/ and this is easily the best :)

In what way were u disappointed as most or 99% of people love it so I don't understand what u mean,iv got 8258/8265/8043/ and this is easily the best :)

[offtopic]

The sum is normally greater than the parts, which is not the case with the Unimog (imho).

Take a look at my "review":

http://www.eurobrick...ic=51101&st=795

[/offtopic]

Looking at the flatbed truck, you don't expect wonders, but seeing the fork come out is pure magic! So in a way you are amazed. I haven't experienced this amazed feeling with the Unimog. But looking at the reactions/reviews of other users, I am one of the few, so it will be my feeling default_satisfied.gif

Edited by Gekke Ted

Look at brickset ratings:

8265 - 4.6

8258 - 4.7

8043 - 4.6

8110 - 4.2

You shouldn't think everyone feels the same as you.

8265 - 4.6

8258 - 4.7

8043 - 4.6

8110 - 4.2

Wow, I hadn't seen these ratings. And indeed, those are three sets I like better than the Unimog. Guess I am not alone after all default_satisfied.gif

8265 - 4.6

8258 - 4.7

8043 - 4.6

8110 - 4.2

But keep in mind number of reviews also... (but it proves the point that he is not the only one not thinking 8110 is super great):

8265 - 4.6 out of 12 reviews

8258 - 4.7 out of 21 reviews

8043 - 4.6 out of 10 reviews

8110 - 4.2 out of 2 reviews

So the 8110 could very easily climb if only a few people joined in and rated it 5/5

So the 8110 could very easily climb if only a few people joined in and rated it 5/5

Absolutely right. The number of reviews is too low to be able to judge the 8110 correctly.

I noticed the 8109 contains 1115 parts by the way. So it's also a pretty decent set.

Absolutely right. The number of reviews is too low to be able to judge the 8110 correctly.

I'm not sure how the rating is calculated, but I think it is not only the average of the ratings gave by the reviewers. Sometimes you can see a set with a single review, and with a rating number different than the rating which was suggested by the reviewer. Either it is possible to vote for a rating without writing a review, or not all of the reviews are visible for a set. Some sets have 0 reviews, but still got a rating.

Sorry for offtopic.

I'm not sure how the rating is calculated, but I think it is not only the average of the ratings gave by the reviewers. Sometimes you can see a set with a single review, and with a rating number different than the rating which was suggested by the reviewer. Either it is possible to vote for a rating without writing a review, or not all of the reviews are visible for a set. Some sets have 0 reviews, but still got a rating.

Sorry for offtopic.

Indeed. Take a look at the 8109 for example:

http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=8109-1

A single rating which results in a 3.2. My question would be: How?!

Maybe there are weights assigned to the different review categories (building experience, parts, etc)

Edited by Gekke Ted

There is only one review on brickset with a score of 3.2 that will explain the poor rating,as more people post a review the rating will rise ( thats if people write a good review of it).

Brickset review

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

For some strange reason, Brickest automatically adds a score of 2.5 to every review. So the only way for the unimog to have an average score of 4.2 is if the 2 people who actually voted gave it 5 out of 5 ((5 + 5 + 2.5)/3) = 4.167 (or 4.2 when rounded).

I like this set and the 8421 crane truck set but I still think I would be getting the 8110 unimod because of the so many parts and different mechanism systems.

Edited by SNIPE

For some strange reason, Brickest automatically adds a score of 2.5 to every review. So the only way for the unimog to have an average score of 4.2 is if the 2 people who actually voted gave it 5 out of 5 ((5 + 5 + 2.5)/3) = 4.167 (or 4.2 when rounded).

It's not actually that strange, it avoids a score being heavily skewed when it hasn't recieved many reviews. The more reviews something recieves, the less the 2.5 factors into it.