Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I probably whine about the cost of LEGO way too much, but these things pop up and I feel like I need to say something.

That would be GREAT news, let's hope it's true.

$250 for a ship means it will be a beauty and HUGE. Bigger than the IFS.

I've been collecting some responses to reply to in one post; this one seems the most accurate for what I was thinking when I read this:

Just, thought I might say if a set like the imperial flagship was released now a days it may cost up to $200-$250 as you can see what happened with price inflation on the death star... I may just be crazy but I think we may just end up seeing a pirate ship of similar scale to the imperial flagship for those hopping it would be bigger.

Indeed, over the last few years what I've seen happening is that TLG is releasing these enormous D2C sets, like the Hellcarrier, GBHQ, the Disney Castle.

They are spectacular sets, but the trend has been to more expensive sets overall. I'm not talking necessarily about value (although I believe that's true also), but affordability of sets. Take the architecture theme; it went from $20 sets of dubious value to some enormous sets that may have provided better value, but were not affordable to a lot of people that would otherwise be interested in the smaller builds.

Inflation has been quite low lately (if you believe the US government). A $70 premium over the IFS demands a lot more, but given the trend lately, while I'm sure it'll be a gorgeous build, I'm guessing that you're not going to get a (roughly) 30% more substantial set.

Yea I'm really glad that we finally have some solid info.Here's hoping we get more than one set.But I might as well start saving money from now.

And I've been thinking 250$ for one ship is too much don't you guys think??I bet the set will contain more than a ship,like a building or something else.

For example the Imperial Flagship from 2010 cost around 180$.I can't imagine the new ship will be bigger than that and I don't want to think that Lego will charge 250$ for a ship of the same size.

See above - I think you will get some great little details, but I'm doubting it'll be what you'd want for $70 more.

I'm sure if Lego are making an UCS set they want it to be highly detailed right? Well if that's the case it means this set will have been in the works for at least a year imo. It also leads me to believe that even if Lego had been given designs for a new POTC ship it wasn't going to be movie accurate as the initial set never really is until the movies been released. This is going to be the BP or the FD as they both have had a lot of screen time already and would give Lego the best chance of creating a good movie acurate version, which is what you want from a D2C/UCS right?

If this is simply a UCS ship (the IFS was - at least going by set numbers), and it's that much better than IFS, then I'll make every effort to get one.... the prices are getting out of hand, though.

Indeed, over the last few years what I've seen happening is that TLG is releasing these enormous D2C sets, like the Hellcarrier, GBHQ, the Disney Castle.

They are spectacular sets, but the trend has been to more expensive sets overall. I'm not talking necessarily about value (although I believe that's true also), but affordability of sets. Take the architecture theme; it went from $20 sets of dubious value to some enormous sets that may have provided better value, but were not affordable to a lot of people that would otherwise be interested in the smaller builds.

Inflation has been quite low lately (if you believe the US government). A $70 premium over the IFS demands a lot more, but given the trend lately, while I'm sure it'll be a gorgeous build, I'm guessing that you're not going to get a (roughly) 30% more substantial set.

I think a lot of recent sets do suggest that prices have stayed at least somewhat consistent with the amount of substance you get. Many people thought Metalbeard's Sea Cow was surprisingly expensive at $250, but it was 47% bigger than IFS by weight and 67% bigger by piece count despite less than a 40% increase in sticker price. A lot of people think LEGO "cheats" piece counts by using smaller pieces, but it's hard to argue that the weight increase doesn't amount to increased substance.

And the Disney Castle, at 5700 grams and 4080 pieces, is 49% bigger than the Sea Cow by both weight AND piece count — despite likewise having just a 40% higher price. So even with the Disney license, its increase in price is buoyed by an even greater increase in substance.

A lot of people see the price hike on the Death Star as all the proof they need that LEGO is cheating buyers by charging more than the substance of a set justifies. But the original 10188 Death Star, like the Green Grocer, Taj Mahal, and Castle Giant Chess Set released the same year, was extraordinarily cheap for its weight in bricks. The Death Star weighed 8060 grams — that's 3.11 times the weight of the Cafe Corner or Imperial Flagship.

Why were so many huge sets released for such low prices in 2008? Hard to say, but it could have been the LEGO Group trying to hastily adapt to the ongoing financial crisis that had first become apparent in 2007, thinking that demand for LEGO would crash unless they offered more bricks for less money. Presumably, once it was clear that demand for LEGO was stable, they went back to prices more on par with what they had been in 2007, giving Fire Brigade the same sticker price as Green Grocer but with the substantially higher price per gram of Cafe Corner. Consequently, if the Death Star were released in 2007 or 2009, then it might've cost as much as $450, and a $500 price tag in 2016 wouldn't seem so bad.

I agree - I haven't weighed the sets (although I know the weights are out there), and as I said in my last paragraph, if it really is that much better - 30% more substantial, perhaps, I will make every effort to get it. I am a very happy owner of the IFS, and the Black Pearl, and the QAR; I've recently been selling off sets because of lack of space (for both storing sets and showing built ones), but the ships are just too beautiful.

I guess I can just see it being either way - a 30% premium for just some cosmetic changes, or it could be a substantial upgrade more than worth the price increase - but it seems to me that, while I realize TLG has always had a couple of large, very expensive sets out at any given time, that the quantity of these enormous and expensive sets can be off-putting to people. As long as people are paying, though, it's easier for them to make money selling fewer, but more expensive sets than selling more smaller, cheaper sets.

Edited by fred67

I do think this will be the only set we get unfortunately.  It would be very unusual to find out about a D2C before the initial wave. 

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

I do think this will be the only set we get unfortunately.  It would be very unusual to find out about a D2C before the initial wave. 

I'm thinking perhaps we could see a polybag of some sorts on the side, at least.

Making a UCS Black Pearl would be cool but wouldn't fit with any other previous ships in terms of scale, so my bets on the Flying Dutchman (which is also my personal preference).

The problem with this idea is the fact that those other ships came out 5 years ago. There is a whole new generation out now. Also most people from what I gathered missed the old ships

5 hours ago, azog said:

The problem with this idea is the fact that those other ships came out 5 years ago. There is a whole new generation out now. Also most people from what I gathered missed the old ships

I wasn't just talking about the POTC ships though.  I feel that a UCS Black Pearl would be breaking a consistency we have had with all the previous ships.  You can set just about any two previous ships together and will not feel the scales are off (for what they are) but a UCS set probably will not fit unless done just right.  Don't get me wrong, I would love a UCS BP but unless there is another UCS ship I don't see it happening.

How certain are we that the rumor is about a Pirates of The Caribbean ship?

Could it have been "A Disney Ship" which could be a mislabeled Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, which was also a non-passed IDEAS project, just like the supposed Flying Dutchman?

It's a long shot, and I'm fairly certain that's not what's up, but it's just wishful thinking.

43 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

It is.

I assume you mean it is a POTC ship, right?  It isn't completely clear which you are confirming, at least not to me.:classic:

10 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Good to know. Arghhh more sets would be nice... :cry_sad:

More sets would be amazing news,especially them being more cheaper than the D2C set.But honestly even if we don't get more sets than one it's better than nothing.

Edited by LOTR34

Good good good. Finally a set potentially worth buying and getting me out of my dark ages again. Honestly I would even be willing to spend 300 euros, as long as it is a beautiful, detailed ship with fantastic minifigs :pir-sweet:

Is there any toyfairs or some similiar happening soon where they could announce upcoming sets?

Just as CPMan said above me we all waiting for some insiders to drop some leaked info.

The waiting game is no fun but we have no other option I'm afraid.

On 30/9/2016 at 6:03 PM, BrickHat said:

Trying to see what's coming up is always a waiting game. I've gotten used to it. :tongue:

I think I'll never truly get used to it.Patience isn't my strongest suit.

Edited by LOTR34

2 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Well, better get used to it, because that's life as an AFOL. :wink:

Indeed,you either roll with it or get drag along with it.An AFOL's requires alot of cash and patience.

Here's a look at 2 of the new ships in the movie. It's not to talk about the movie but surely it's relevant to set speculation.