Klaus-Dieter

2011 City sets

I think TLG has enough Police sets for a while, why not something like the postal service, or Hospital, maybe even a small library, something that every city needs.

The Block House doesn't seem to be nearly as large as the other Creator sets, also-- could we dare to dream a $20 USD Creator house?? (Probably closer to 25?)

:laugh:

You are too funny!

The set still probably have a few hundred pieces, a $20 set has like 150 pieces now a days. I think the set is more of a $30ish dollar set, like the Beach House.

Honestly, that Space stuff isn't tickling my LEGO bone. (take that how you will) It all looks too kid-themed... that space shuttle looks straight out of Duplo and even the rocket looks a little baby-ish to me for some reason. ESPECIALLY when compared to the fantastic Space shuttle we already have from 2010.

I'm not writing them off yet, I want to see better pics. But for now, I'm hesitant. :sceptic:

Amen. I don't like the new Space sets too much. It looks a lot like something out of a cartoon (Sandy's other projects maybe? :laugh: )

Amen. I don't like the new Space sets too much. It looks a lot like something out of a cartoon (Sandy's other projects maybe? :laugh: )

I don't see what makes these sets any different than the Launch Command sets of the 90s. They're certainly much better than the Space Port theme, which had ridiculously stylized vehicles, annoying "light and sound" pieces, and color schemes that could make one's eyes bleed.

We have a specialized nose piece for the shuttle, true, but this nose piece is plenty versatile-- possibly more so than more perennial specialized pieces like those used on boats and trains. What makes it any less "LEGO" than parts like this, this, this, or this?

Furthermore, this is LEGO. It's certain to look cartoony no matter what, and I think the realistic look of the sets is certainly carried across effectively. It's worth noting also that when pictures of the Shuttle Adventure set first surfaced, some people complained about the nose being brick-built rather than smooth and sleek. You can't have it both ways.

Also, on an unrelated note, I can't tell you how long I've been dying to get a 6-wide windscreen like that pictured in the Police and Space sets seen here. Realistic SUVs and various other types of car are finally possible!

I don't see what makes these sets any different than the Launch Command sets of the 90s. They're certainly much better than the Space Port theme, which had ridiculously stylized vehicles, annoying "light and sound" pieces, and color schemes that could make one's eyes bleed.

Agreed though I kind of liked that shuttle it was ridiculous looking.

I like the launchpad it is nice to see somthing new thats not a shuttle.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

If you compare the two themes, this one is much more "round". They use big rounded pieces to make the shapes, whereas the old ones used regular slopes.

Perhaps in the next 2 years, there will be an official Titanic model as 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking!

Perhaps in the next 2 years, there will be an official Titanic model as 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking!

Now it's a nice idea, but this is about 2011 city sets - aw well, I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Now it's a nice idea, but this is about 2011 city sets - aw well, I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I'm sorry, my mistake. My comment should be moved elsewhere!

If you compare the two themes, this one is much more "round". They use big rounded pieces to make the shapes, whereas the old ones used regular slopes.

The shuttle uses rounded parts, true (even though the cargo bay uses fewer rounded parts than the Shuttle Adventure did). The other rockets use rounded parts, but if anything they remind me of the fuel tank and solid rocket boosters from the Launch Command space shuttle, which did use round parts almost exclusively.

The truth is while I am excited about these space sets, the only one I want is the van with the small space shuttle.

I'm with you, except for the part about being excited. I'll probably grab the van and leave the stickers off, just to make it a civilian vehicle.

Did anyone notice in the new prisoner van in the storage area a yellow crate......now that's new and it makes a change from reddish brown ! :wink:

Also both that police van and space pad van could be MOD'ed in to an ambulance, repair or delivery van both having modern front ends ! :classic:

Can't wait to see close ups of the real sets in the flesh so to speak. :classic:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Anyone nab a shot of the space buggy yet?

Regrettably not, Ignited_Impulse.

And since KimT reported in the SW subforum that TLG wants flickr and BS to put away all prelim pics, we for sure won't see any picture of it until we'll get official pics or/and if someone will do a review of it. But that'll take some while - sadly.

Did anyone notice in the new prisoner van in the storage area a yellow crate......now that's new and it makes a change from reddish brown ! :wink:

I think you're right, lightningtiger.

Firstly I thought that it's tan. But well, it really looks more like yellow.

Btw: I'm really excitied about whether we'll now get the City Square in January or not. Still one week to wait til we'll know (BrickCon) (and hopefully not longer).

Klaus-Dieter

But why would we find out now about either Truck Stop or City Square, which were the losers to the Public Transport Set for TRU's fans choice so soon ? :wink:

So do you think that some of these 2011 sets might sneek in at Brickcon next week ?

Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see ........I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Indeed. Nice change, but personally it doesn't look too good to me unless you need them to function as cargo crates.

I can't see them too clearly, but the police dog car and the set above look good. I hope there will be more civilian stuff.

As for the space part, I really like the new astronaut look with the Atlantis helmet recoloured. It looks different, and works well. I'll probably end up getting the shuttle, so I hope it comes with more than just one.

I also want to see what the buggy is like. I hope for more astronauts.

What city square?

Grogall, the City Square which was one of three options we and other Lego fans were allowed to vote for on TRU's homepage last year.

The winner was the 8404 Public Transport.

So do you think that some of these 2011 sets might sneek in at Brickcon next week ?

No, no. Only the exclusive set for January 2011.

At least the past three years the Jan. Exclusive was shown on BrickCon and so I think and hope that it'll be the same this year, too.

But why would we find out now about either Truck Stop or City Square, which were the losers to the Public Transport Set for TRU's fans choice so soon ? :wink:

There are three reasons for this, lightningtiger, which I partly already mentioned:

Mirandir told us some time ago that after his knowledge all three options will be released (that this doesn't mean that we'll exactly get which was shown on the pics is clear).

There was a TRU poll for a fan's choice Star Wars set one year before. And although the Mon Calamari Cruiser won and was released exclusively last year, the second option (Slave 1) was released this year nevertheless (without landing platform - but nevertheless). And the Palpatine's Arrest set wasn't released - but threrefore the PT/CW fans got an office for Palpy, a minifigs of him and two Senate Guards in last year's Republic Star Destroyer. So you can see that - in one or the other way - all three options were more or less released.

Since it's very supposable that the 2011 summer theme will be Harbor and not a civilian theme, there could and even should be additional civilian sets. And since the number of sets sold in regular toy shops is limited and since 10184 was released already nearly three years ago, it's supposable that we'll get a big civilian City set in Jan. 2011. And which wouldn't fit more perfectly than a/the city square?! (It could e. g. include a bank, a security transport car, a cafe, a civilian car, a Lego Store, a statue, a small playground and eight minifigs - wouldn't that be totally amazing?!) A truck stop could e. g. in smaller form as a gas station be released either with the 2011 summer wave or in 2012.

Of course I might be wrong, too, but it sounds to me very plausible.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Ah but I feel a city square would make an awesome 16+ set like Medieval Village with everything brick-built even the trees ! :wink:

A truck stop would fit in well with 2010 and 2011 transport themes, plus the last service station was part of the harbour transport theme of 2007 ! :sweet:

Plus theres nothing to stop Lego sneeking in sets or parts of sets for 2011 in to scenery that are set up for the general public to see at BrickCon right ?

They have done it before, remember last year and a Lego show in Russia, a fair chunk of h1 city releases were on display ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Hey look! I see a red civilian car with a police bike! So that means there is a set where the criminal jacks a car and gets chased by the popo! :thumbup::tongue:

Do you think that this Topic should get pinned, or are we waiting untill the offical high quality images are released default_sceptic.gif .

Only when Lego makes it offical. :wink:

Has anyone noticed the new police truck opens differently but only on one side and a hinged roof...much better I feel than the old one and is that a red sports car just like the yellow one in public transport......I smell lots of car dealership MOC's in the future ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Mirandir told us some time ago that after his knowledge all three options will be released (that this doesn't mean that we'll exactly get which was shown on the pics is clear).

There was a TRU poll for a fan's choice Star Wars set one year before. And although the Mon Calamari Cruiser won and was released exclusively last year, the second option (Slave 1) was released this year nevertheless (without landing platform - but nevertheless). And the Palpatine's Arrest set wasn't released - but threrefore the PT/CW fans got an office for Palpy, a minifigs of him and two Senate Guards in last year's Republic Star Destroyer. So you can see that - in one or the other way - all three options were more or less released.

Since it's very supposable that the 2011 summer theme will be Harbor and not a civilian theme, there could and even should be additional civilian sets. And since the number of sets sold in regular toy shops is limited and since 10184 was released already nearly three years ago, it's supposable that we'll get a big civilian City set in Jan. 2011. And which wouldn't fit more perfectly than a/the city square?! (It could e. g. include a bank, a security transport car, a cafe, a civilian car, a Lego Store, a statue, a small playground and eight minifigs - wouldn't that be totally amazing?!) A truck stop could e. g. in smaller form as a gas station be released either with the 2011 summer wave or in 2012.

Of course I might be wrong, too, but it sounds to me very plausible.

Klaus-Dieter

Everything you said is just speculation, it's not even rumors, just guess. Nothing there is based on any fact of what will be released. This is exactly how false info gets around because you start some BS rumour that isn't based on anything but what you like, or would think we would see.

new pics from city 2011

Edit by WhiteFang: Removed deeplink preliminary confidential TLG images.

Can we at least have the links back, please? Links were allowed last I checked, you just removed everything...