NorvernRob

[MOC] Battle on Hoth

My Battle on Hoth display from Brick Con today. Credit to various people, Gol for the AT-ST (who says they won't stand up properly, that one has been stood for 8 hours being wobbled all over!), Anio for the original AT-AT and Snowspeeder build (though I've completely rebuilt almost all of it I would have struggled without the originals to work from).  I've been building it for around 5 months and in total have used around 30,000 bricks.

IMG_5877_zpsoejumfq3.jpgIMG_5858_zpsbshbft2t.jpgIMG_5879_zpszep0djys.jpgIMG_5882_zpszs5bbtdd.jpgIMG_5884_zpsiirm3nmx.jpgIMG_5891_zps5ujaonkm.jpg

Now This is the assault on Hoth set we're looking for!

Seriously though, great build :thumbup: I love the way you've expanded upon the existing Wampanoag cave to make a larger one and the greenling on the echo base looks amazing. 

This is absolutely amazing...

I love how you have included the wampa scene! Also liking how the base doesn't have a top, so it easily accessible from above! The patch of melted ice is a nice addition too! 10/10!!!

Solid Build! Can you link some more pictures? I'd love to see more

Thanks for the kind comments, I hadn't even seen it setup myself before today as I have nowhere to put it all! I've only seen it in various sections, I won the public choice award for best display which I was immensely pleased with as I've only done a couple of displays and this is the first scene I've ever built. A few more photos - the base has a long power/generator type room, medical bay with bacta tank, pilot briefing room, ion control and main control room, with LED lighting in the control room and above both sides of the hangar. I ordered some custom printed clear panels for the control room but unfortunately they haven't arrived on time.

There have been some amazing Hoth builds posted here, whether full scenes or individual elements, and I took inspiration and ideas from many of those, as well as simply trying to replicate what was on the screen in front of me when I watched the scene or stared at a still for the 50th time! 

Future plans are to extend the base by 16 studs in both width and length, this will enable me to fit another X-Wing bay as it's bugging me that I haven't got a second one with a service gantry above it. I may also be able to fit an ice corridor in and get Vader in there too.

IMG_5857_zpsqifhsdph.jpg

27F073D6-721B-475D-9B3E-2CA47A342068_zps

IMG_5872_zpsyfnuonip.jpg

IMG_5873_zpstisnmwwu.jpg

IMG_5875_zpsqtyemcfj.jpg

IMG_5870_zpsmkf3wyc0.jpg

4 minutes ago, Flandy said:

Was good to talk to you today! The display was awesome, very inspiring!

Thank you, I didn't know there were other Eurobrickers there! 

I was the guy in the red baseball cap asking about how you manage to get so many white bricks and bitching about the UCS Hoth set :D

I think you're the first Eurobricker I've met offline!

34 minutes ago, Flandy said:

I was the guy in the red baseball cap asking about how you manage to get so many white bricks and bitching about the UCS Hoth set :D

I think you're the first Eurobricker I've met offline!

Haha I remember! I'm applying to display at Brick Tastic, so I'll be needing more white bricks!

7 hours ago, roadstermatt said:

great display I love it wish I had the bricks and space to do something like this

I don't have a huge budget - don't get me wrong, it wasn't cheap but I haven't spent thousands. I asked for bulk buys of white on some FB pages and got around 8 kilos that way, plus another 5 kilos from friends, then more from a few trades. Anything useable, I used, even if it was fairly yellowed. Last year I bought 16kg of brand new lbg and dbg from someone for under £200, that has saved me a fortune on builds. A member of our LUG has a shop and luckily has a huge amount of 16x16 white plates, and I ended up buying 170 in total! Bricklink orders made up the rest.

As for space, I have an 8 feet by 6 feet brick shed where I do all my building, so I can't lay out anything as big as this. I had to move the base into the house to look it over, then back into the shed and do the same with the battlefield. I never saw it fully assembled until yesterday!

Edited by NorvernRob

4 minutes ago, NorvernRob said:

I don't have a huge budget - don't get me wrong, it wasn't cheap but I haven't spent thousands. I asked for bulk buys of white on some FB pages and got around 8 kilos that way, plus another 5 kilos from friends, then more from a few trades. Anything useable, I used, even if it was fairly yellowed. Last year I bought 16kg of brand new lbg and dbg from someone for under £200, that has saved me a fortune on builds. A member of our LUG has a shop and luckily has a huge amount of 16x16 white plates, and I ended up buying 170 in total! Bricklink orders made up the rest.

As for space, I have an 8 feet by 6 feet brick shed where I do all my building, so I can't lay out anything as big as this. I had to move the base into the house to look it over, then back into the shed and do the same with the battlefield. I never saw it fully assembled until yesterday!

I'm always interested in bulk buying bricks, but never really knowing the best place. Bricklink usually doesnt have high quantities and eBay sellers rip you off. What kind of facebook pages are you joining? thanks for any advice

Good use of MOCs instead of official sets, it makes the scene a lot more interesting!
Props for that! And in general, looking good. The ion cannon is smooth. I would have loved to see this
at that con.

- Samppu

7 minutes ago, jamiejme said:

I'm always interested in bulk buying bricks, but never really knowing the best place. Bricklink usually doesnt have high quantities and eBay sellers rip you off. What kind of facebook pages are you joining? thanks for any advice

There are a few, the ones I use are mainly UK based but there are others out there. Lego Star Wars minifigures and collectors, and Lego sell, swap and share are the main ones I have bought from. 

Just now, Samppu said:

Good use of MOCs instead of official sets, it makes the scene a lot more interesting!
Props for that! And in general, looking good. The ion cannon is smooth. I would have loved to see this
at that con.

- Samppu

Thank you. I do have plans for a bigger ion cannon, same Lowell sphere construction but around 2,000 parts instead of the 1,000 of the current one. 1x2 white jumper plates are on the PAB wall at my local LEGO store so I already have more than enough of those, I'll use around 600 in a sphere that big.

Bit of an update. I displayed this again at the Yorkshire Brick Show last weekend. Improvements I've added are 2 more snowspeeders to make 8, another X-Wing to make 3, 40 more figs, Echo Base is 16 studs longer and wider, allowing for extra bays and the control room to be extended by 16 studs. The battlefield has been extended by 40 studs, and I finished the much larger ion cannon. I built one of Mortens GR-75 transports too, its wildly out of scale with the rest but it's such a nice ship I had to include it.

The whole thing is now 11 feet long, I've got a few more improvements to make before it's final outing at Bricktastic in Manchester on the 1st and 2nd July.

6B1B4ED3-36C3-4836-BA53-B7949D6B7DC1_zps

886C3B0D-C619-4CFF-940B-00972AC97BE8_zps

2577515C-485B-47E9-ACA7-A3A879003F9E_zps

2AB57997-7CEC-4916-8000-210D1C6CEE4A_zps

9FC476BD-2433-4816-8F52-DB375FE52079_zps

CFA099BC-CDD5-4C4C-B8B9-61030F885601_zps

Most impressive...great display in every respect, hats off to you sir!

This is bloody awesome! Great display and lots of details.

Edited by Servertijd

On 20/02/2017 at 4:04 PM, NorvernRob said:

Anything useable, I used, even if it was fairly yellowed.

Nothing wrong with yellowed snow. Even the rebel's probably get caught short.

Moving on, what an amazing piece of work. 30,000 bricks! Holy moly *huh*

6 hours ago, brobert said:

Most impressive...great display in every respect, hats off to you sir!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Servertijd said:

This is bloody awesome! Great display and lots of details.

Again, thanks. I try and keep adding more detail each time I take it to a display.

27 minutes ago, Brickdad said:

Nothing wrong with yellowed snow. Even the rebel's probably get caught short.

Moving on, what an amazing piece of work. 30,000 bricks! Holy moly *huh*

Haha but how does it get out of the suit? Maybe the boots have drain holes! 30,000 parts is a guess, but that's probably the minimum.