32722554726_b5edc81a8f_c.jpg

[Render] Ice Planet Mech by Artemiy Karpinskiy, on Flickr

An Ice Planet exploration mech based off the concept art from this page.
Took me about 18 hours to render this monster. :D

Back view | Cockpit

If you like what I do and you want to see me create your OC, a favorite Bionicle Character, or something else, feel free to look up my Commission Info! I also now have a Patreon page, so please consider supporting!

Edited by The Mugbearer

Cool!  I'm not much of a mech person, but I can appreciate the complexity and design that goes into them.  I really like how the hands/claws are built with the deployable triple chainsaws.  The blue leg armor is interesting since at first glance it looks like a normal LEGO piece but is a plate with center stud and round tile.

Ice planet was one of my favorite post-dark-age themes.  The model might look more "in-theme" with a trans-orange disk on the front of the cockpit but the solid white disk does not look out of place.  Also, the ice planet theme was centered around build, transport, and launching rockets with all the larger models incorporated them to some extent.  Would be interesting to see if the rocket theme could be included in this design, maybe as a rocket pack that attaches to the back to allow it to fly.

I really liked the concept art page too.  What did you use to render the design and how did you light up the 1x1 round on the front of the cockpit?

Again, cool build.

drc

1 minute ago, drclark said:

Cool!  I'm not much of a mech person, but I can appreciate the complexity and design that goes into them.  I really like how the hands/claws are built with the deployable triple chainsaws.  The blue leg armor is interesting since at first glance it looks like a normal LEGO piece but is a plate with center stud and round tile.

Ice planet was one of my favorite post-dark-age themes.  The model might look more "in-theme" with a trans-orange disk on the front of the cockpit but the solid white disk does not look out of place.  Also, the ice planet theme was centered around build, transport, and launching rockets with all the larger models incorporated them to some extent.  Would be interesting to see if the rocket theme could be included in this design, maybe as a rocket pack that attaches to the back to allow it to fly.

I really liked the concept art page too.  What did you use to render the design and how did you light up the 1x1 round on the front of the cockpit?

Again, cool build.

drc

Thank you very much for such detailed feedback!

I also loved Ice Planet the most, although Space Police followed pretty close. I actually have a whole album on Flickr dedicated to reimagination of classic system Space themes. And most of the time I am inspired by this very page I linked. =)

As for the rocket pack, the mech actually has one. It doesn't allow for outright flight, but boosted jumps and ski-sliding are possible.

I use a fan-made LDD2POV converter to turn a Lego Digital Designer file into .pov format, then I use POV-Ray tracer to render the image (the mech took me 18 hours to render). After that I do the post-processing in Photoshop, where I add glow effects. =)

Very impressive! I like the unusual, quite alien looking (and slightly cartoonish) design. It is really striking and appears to me more human than you would expect. I think it is the grace it radiates - that makes it pretty organic, especially the legs.

Inspiring creation! :classic: :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

Very impressive! I like the unusual, quite alien looking (and slightly cartoonish) design. It is really striking and appears to me more human than you would expect. I think it is the grace it radiates - that makes it pretty organic, especially the legs.

Inspiring creation! :classic: :thumbup:

Thank you very much! <3

My first thought is that a mech probably isn't the best transport for a harsh snowy environment! :tongue: But it does look cool, and rocket-assisted mobility would definitely help in that terrain.

The double-large leg studs offer a great clean look while still looking very "lego". My favorite detail, though, is that the claws and the chainsaws are retractable without having to detach any parts. That is an ingenious design.

7 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

My first thought is that a mech probably isn't the best transport for a harsh snowy environment! :tongue: But it does look cool, and rocket-assisted mobility would definitely help in that terrain.

The double-large leg studs offer a great clean look while still looking very "lego". My favorite detail, though, is that the claws and the chainsaws are retractable without having to detach any parts. That is an ingenious design.

Thank you! <3