BirdOPrey5

Some Rude Moderators?

The warning system is for staff use only.

I should not have even mentioned it. Participate in discussions and follow the Site Guidelines. Mind the staff. Have fun. Nothing to see here.

The warning system is for staff use only.

I should not have even mentioned it. Participate in discussions and follow the Site Guidelines. Mind the staff. Have fun. Nothing to see here.

Agreed, but do remember, this is the Internet, our only communication is through text. so

"Stay on Topic" might seem aggressive, because there is no tone involved.

"Stay on Topic :wink: " adds a little tone to the message, and might help out. Just a suggestion. :blush:

As this is a site for adults, they should not need constant reminders. In the real world, you do not get constant reminders. I am one that will never use emoticons because it can distract from the message's original intention.

I tried to state that as friendly as possible, but I tend to come across more direct than anything. If people choose to read into what we write, so be it. But then if everyone followed the rules and did not fill topics with babble and off topic comments, I guess we would not need this thread?

But hey, thanks for the input!

Agreed, but do remember, this is the Internet, our only communication is through text. so

"Stay on Topic" might seem aggressive, because there is no tone involved.

"Stay on Topic :wink: " adds a little tone to the message, and might help out. Just a suggestion. :blush:

I appreciate the suggestion. What we have found, through experience, that "adding a little tone" oftentimes gets ignored. We intend to be a bit more aggressive. There's a balance to be struck but we're not here to treat you with kid gloves either. If adding a winky–face makes that much difference, I imagine there's more of a fragility to the viewer's psyched that needs to be dealt with more than our level of "rudeness".

Besides, the example I posted Nemo gives an alternative place to discuss the off–topic subjects and even says thank you. I think we do more than enough.

Besides, the example I posted Nemo gives an alternative place to discuss the off–topic subjects and even says thank you. I think we do more than enough.

You guys certainly do, and an excellent job of it as well!

I personally think the way the site is moderated at the moment is perfect, never had any issues with it at all!

Edited by BrickCurve

I appreciate the suggestion. What we have found, through experience, that "adding a little tone" oftentimes gets ignored. We intend to be a bit more aggressive. There's a balance to be struck but we're not here to treat you with kid gloves either. If adding a winky–face makes that much difference, I imagine there's more of a fragility to the viewer's psyched that needs to be dealt with more than our level of "rudeness".

You guys do do more than enough. Nowadays I think people just have an aversion to anything even remotely authoritarian unfortunately.

The following is all my opinion.

I do think that some mods are rude and sometimes even overbearing especially compared to other LEGO forums. Brickset, Brickpicker, and FBTB don't feel nearly as controlling and I feel that makes them more fun to read and be a part of. I used to love reading through SW Discussion Threads and now I'll just skim through them looking for any new information because I don't want to read the mod posts that I'm pretty sure are going to be there. I would guess the mods are more controlling here because the rules are stricter than others, there's more members, or both.

Don't take my post as anti-authoritarian or anything like that. I'm not, I understand the needs for mods being one myself. I just don't like the way this place is moderated sometimes, it just feels too strict and that really affects how much I enjoy it.

The following is all my opinion.

I do think that some mods are rude and sometimes even overbearing especially compared to other LEGO forums. Brickset, Brickpicker, and FBTB don't feel nearly as controlling and I feel that makes them more fun to read and be a part of. I used to love reading through SW Discussion Threads and now I'll just skim through them looking for any new information because I don't want to read the mod posts that I'm pretty sure are going to be there. I would guess the mods are more controlling here because the rules are stricter than others, there's more members, or both.

Don't take my post as anti-authoritarian or anything like that. I'm not, I understand the needs for mods being one myself. I just don't like the way this place is moderated sometimes, it just feels too strict and that really affects how much I enjoy it.

No worries. I want people to feel free to express their opinions. That's the reason we have this thread. But you all know that not much stops me from expressing back. :blush: I don't read those other forums. I used to read FBTB when I first exited my dark ages. Do they do the same volume we do nowadays? Do they have the same level of activity? I think Star Wars and Licensed are the best examples of rumor and set discussion threads that just get way out of hand. We moderate the way we do in response to complaints we get about people not being able to follow the discussions. We have obviously vacillated from time to time as well when people want it to be a bit more lax. Personally, I don't find it fun when I can't follow a discussion or when I see repeated occurrences of people taking it way off track..

I just checked out FBTB. Compare this to our stats:

FBTB

Who is online

In total there are 34 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 15 minutes)

Most users ever online was 307 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Registered users: Bing [bot], Google [bot], Google Adsense [bot], Google Feedfetcher, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [bot]

Legend: Administrators, Global moderators

Statistics

Total posts 88272 • Total topics 6250 • Total members 6213 • Our newest member tobiaszhang

EB

2589777 Total Posts 56696 Total Members larryr17 Newest Member 3715 Most Online

537 users are online (in the past 20 minutes)

87 members, 449 guests, 1 anonymous users

I can't find stats on Brickset's forum.

Brickpicker

Who's Online 52 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

Member Statistics

Total Members

Most Online

I'm not saying we are better because we have a higher volume of activity, members and discussions, I'm saying we have more volume to manage and more likelihood for things to get out of control. We have a different model to respond to than the others.

I'm not saying we are better because we have a higher volume of activity, members and discussions, I'm saying we have more volume to manage and more likelihood for things to get out of control. We have a different model to respond to than the others.

Yeah, it's what I thought. I'm probably just used to small-forum feel since this is the only 'big' forum I'm on.

Yeah, it's what I thought. I'm probably just used to small-forum feel since this is the only 'big' forum I'm on.

Our goal is to make the experience here just as "fun" for everyone. If the large discussions have to be split into smaller ones for that type of free–flow discussion to exist, I would suggest that it's not the moderators interrupting but the off–topic discussion derailing the topics..

This will probably get deleted anyway, but at least maybe someone will read this and understand the point.

It's alittle heavy-handed and somewhat insulting to imply that people (including myself) don't "grasp" what you're saying, Nemo. It's obvious that some of us are adults and in some cases are older than you, so I'd venture to say that should present some level of intelligence that I hope you can empathize with. But throwing in caps that you'll hide off-topic conversation on a thread that really has no new information to contribute simply because people are having a conversation about misinformation (that is clearly a problem) only suits to present that your efforts might be in the wrong place. I mean at this stage I have to ask - why are misinformation posts not deleted?

I get it - you don't like off-topic conversation. I can appreciate that. But it's obvious that every now and then a thread goes off the rails. Finding a mature and thoughtful way of bringing it back on topic should be the job of the mods, not suggesting that people aren't intelligent enough to understand the difference between off and on topic comments.

There's a thread in the Forum Information & Help section called 'Some Rude Moderators?' (Sorry I can't link you on my phone!) but maybe your post would be best suited there to get more traction or something. Just thought I'd let you know it exists!

This will probably get deleted anyway, but at least maybe someone will read this and understand the point.

It's alittle heavy-handed and somewhat insulting to imply that people (including myself) don't "grasp" what you're saying, Nemo. It's obvious that some of us are adults and in some cases are older than you, so I'd venture to say that should present some level of intelligence that I hope you can empathize with. But throwing in caps that you'll hide off-topic conversation on a thread that really has no new information to contribute simply because people are having a conversation about misinformation (that is clearly a problem) only suits to present that your efforts might be in the wrong place. I mean at this stage I have to ask - why are misinformation posts not deleted?

I get it - you don't like off-topic conversation. I can appreciate that. But it's obvious that every now and then a thread goes off the rails. Finding a mature and thoughtful way of bringing it back on topic should be the job of the mods, not suggesting that people aren't intelligent enough to understand the difference between off and on topic comments.

I was just gonna say I think he has a Napoleon complex.

You seem to be operating on the assumption that we delete posts. We do not.

Nemo goes into that monster of a thread whenever members complain that there is too much off–topic chatter and those were the reports we got and so Nemo did his job. If you are an intellectual adult who normally keeps the discussion on–topic, thank you. Perhaps the comments were not directed at you but directed at the people who were acting immature and insulting each other. Everyone has a different method, everyone has a unique personality and everyone evolves over time so thank you for patiently giving your advice to our staff member.

Just gonna place this here...

I don't see much in the way of acknowledgement in this thread, it seems to be geared towards pointing out that how the staff performs their duties is correct and we should all accept it.

Being a member of several forums and having several thousand posts under my belt on multiple forums(and being an admin myself on one forum) I can honestly say this is the first instance I've ever seen of a thread dedicated to "Rude Mods". Fact is, this site is indeed much more strict than most I've posted on, and that fact alone is why I don't post much here. I never know when I'll be reprimanded for a grammar mistake(seriously?!) or told to stay on topic. Some friendly banter is harmless in my opinion, and most everyone would agree.

But, your numbers look great and you have a massive population of active members so why should you put any stock in a thread like this? I would personally be embarrassed that it even exists.

Edited by Mercury

You seem to be operating on the assumption that we delete posts. We do not.

Nemo goes into that monster of a thread whenever members complain that there is too much off–topic chatter and those were the reports we got and so Nemo did his job. If you are an intellectual adult who normally keeps the discussion on–topic, thank you. Perhaps the comments were not directed at you but directed at the people who were acting immature and insulting each other. Everyone has a different method, everyone has a unique personality and everyone evolves over time so thank you for patiently giving your advice to our staff member.

Uhh... staff does delete posts. I'd show you, but they're deleted. It happens in nearly every thread I visit.

I really don't think your statement changes the fact that Nemo comes across very power trippy and insulting.

:facepalm:

I don't know what to say. Clearly people don't seem to grasp the difference between on-topic and off-topic discussions. Or more likely they just choose to ignore me completely. SO I'm just going to hide away all the off-topic garbage that people keep dumping here. If you want your posts to show up in the Licensed forum, you better damn well be sure they're on topic.

We'll see how many people read that I suppose.

Moderator is being rude and inappropriate.

Implying that the forum members are stupid is wrong. Calling their posts garbage is wrong. This should not be coming from an official moderator.

The moderator is also deleting posts with suggestions about the forum. Site rules state that suggestions to moderators are allowed. The deletion of these is baffling, and perhaps retaliatory. Specifically, the discussion was asking for clarification from the moderator, which the moderator deleted instead of replying to.

There seems to be disagreement between the moderator and the audience about what is on topic. The moderator is not helping to clarify or discuss with the audience, but rather is deleting posts about it and is writing almost insulting posts like this.

Respectfully, no one was acting immature nor insulting anyone. We were discussing the scope of the forum and how to handle "leaks" and unsubstantiated rumors in a respectful way. These topics are material to the forum in my opinion. Calling my opinion garbage is where the insults come in, and that was the moderator. The site guidelines say that suggestions are welcome. This moderator disagrees. Please hold the mods to the same site guidelines we all agree to when we sign up here.

I think the frowning clown face doesn't help the discussion either, because it makes all the moderator's posts sound more harsh and reprimanding, as opposed to friendly guidance of the conversation.

What I think is:

Yes. There are indeed rude administrators.

No. We are not allowed to argue. These administrators make the work for us. We don't know what's behind. It's not a public right to be on Eurobricks. If you want to be here, you follow the rules, you get a nice forum probably the best one about LEGO in the world as now.

You will receive some unfair treatment sometime, but not as much as you receive in life itself. So it's pretty normal.

If someone thinks the moderators are too rude, I encourage these people to make a forum on their own where they can be moderators and try to be gentle and kind when someone make you lose your temper.

Plus, consider this is also a LUG, so moderators have benefits from LEGO which they share with us via prize contests and the like.

If a user acts in a certain way, like showing confidential pictures and so on, LEGO could remove the LUG status to Eurobricks, which would be a disaster.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

Yes, no one has to be on EB and it is not a public right, but it is a business of sorts and we are the customers. If this site doesn't work for some they can go elsewhere (FBTB, Reddit, etc). If no one is left or the site has too few followers than it falls apart.

Mods need to enforce rules, sure, but not at the expense of making members feel insulted. They keep that up and there won't be a board to mod.

I've been on this board for over four years and I've never seen it this bad with locked threads, deleted posts, and blatantly angry mods.

Edited by HawkLord

I was just gonna say I think he has a Napoleon complex.

He's like 8 feet tall. And your post is not constructive in the least. That's not a positive contribution to the community.

Uhh... staff does delete posts. I'd show you, but they're deleted. It happens in nearly every thread I visit.

I really don't think your statement changes the fact that Nemo comes across very power trippy and insulting.

No, we don't. If staff members are, that is against our philosophy. Please let me know when you see it happen as I can check the logs.

My statement wasn't intended to change that opinion, which is not a fact.

Respectfully, no one was acting immature nor insulting anyone. We were discussing the scope of the forum and how to handle "leaks" and unsubstantiated rumors in a respectful way. These topics are material to the forum in my opinion. Calling my opinion garbage is where the insults come in, and that was the moderator. The site guidelines say that suggestions are welcome. This moderator disagrees. Please hold the mods to the same site guidelines we all agree to when we sign up here.

I think the frowning clown face doesn't help the discussion either, because it makes all the moderator's posts sound more harsh and reprimanding, as opposed to friendly guidance of the conversation.

Respectfully, that's not what the reports said nor what I saw in the reported posts. The posts that were reported were off–topic and there was a little tiff and ego war starting between a small group of members. I feel that if a moderator's avatar offends you, you should re–evaluate how you are approaching this community. We will not be requiring our staff members to have positive–reinforcement avatars.

Yes, no one has to be on EB and it is not a public right, but it is a business of sorts and we are the customers. If this site doesn't work for some they can go elsewhere (FBTB, Reddit, etc). If no one is left or the site has too few followers than it falls apart.

Mods need to enforce rules, sure, but not at the expense of making members feel insulted. They keep that up and there won't be a board to mod.

I've been on this board for over four years and I've never seen it this bad with locked threads, deleted posts, and blatantly angry mods.

It's "then" :blush: Sorry... Grammar stickler here.

And what about members who complain that they can't follow a topic because of all of the extraneous discussion? We need to consider them as well. If we lose members because we're trying to keep as many people happy as possible, so be it. We're not going to let these news discussions repeatedly get off–topic as it is our biggest day–to–day task. Licensed and Star Wars get the most off–topic complaints and petty arguments. It is a problem we have struggled with for years. It is also the most common place for us to get complaints about moderator's "attitudes". As I've said before, our moderators have to make their points and sometimes gentle warnings go ignored.

Also keep in mind that members complain when they subscribe to a news topic and they get notifications about new posts and the new posts are just people bickering about off–topic minutiae. We have all sorts of opinions and member's opinions to consider. Yours aren't the only ones or we wouldn't be trying to keep the discussion on–topic in the first place. Do you think we want to go through this every time?

If members remain unclear about what is on–topic and what is off–topic then perhaps they can contact the moderator and ask. Or refer to the subject of the discussion and just apply a little active judgement before posting.

Help the staff by staying on topic and try to give us the benefit of the doubt as keeping such enormous topics on task is somewhat like herding cats. And try not to get lost and bogged down in complaining about how we run things. There are plenty of ways to have fun here and if your banter with another member gets other members annoyed try to keep their enjoyment in mind as well and take the fun conversations to Community.

That doesn't actually even try to validate any of the complaints or concerns here. And grammar nazi behavior is also counter productive.

I'm reminded of the Tranformers board TFW2005. They went through a mass exodus because people were getting banned and hammered on by staff. Then a couple years later they had to offer a blanketed amnesty to invite people back because they realized they were pushing people away.

He's like 8 feet tall. And your post is not constructive in the least. That's not a positive contribution to the community.

Neither is little-man syndrome, but that's neither here nor there.

Just my opinion, as I visit each theme on EB every now and then, and Nemo is the only mod whose name I can even remember off the top of my head, because he chimes in every 10 posts with reprimands about not using a period at the end of a post, which is pointless, or complaining that we talk about (discuss) things we heard through a grapevine, and may thus not be true (rumors), in threads titled "Rumors and Discussion", which is just asinine.

And then complains when users don't listen to him.

Edited by Deadshot

I'm not sure if you're trying to be helpful or not. You are not addressing the comments or concerns themselves. You have not acknowledged that a mod has insulted the forum users. Yes, much of what you are saying is correct, and mods have final say as per site guidelines, but still, ignoring insults lobbed at forum users is hard to understand.

Per site guidelines, suggestions from users are allowed, and welcomed. The mod in question is unreceptive, and is actively deleting posts with suggestions in them for being off topic. This should be addressed, or at least acknowledged.

Technically, posts are hidden, not deleted. This is a distinction without a difference. I quoted the mod himself saying that he has hidden posts. Why are you still questioning whether this has happened?

I understand that you need to defend other mods from abuses from users. There is no way to know which users are making stuff up or crying over petty slights. I feel that I have put forth a reasonable argument and you have dismissed it out of hand. Maybe it's not your job to moderate disputes of this kind, but given that this is a dedicated forum where such complaints can be aired publicly and you are moderating it, at least measure your responses in kind.

Do not idly accuse me of being insulting or childish. Please provide proof. I have presented evidence of insulting speech in my comment, you have not acknowledged it. Disagreeing with someone is not itself insulting. Calling someones posts "garbage" is insulting.

What we want to see is fair treatment from the mods, and mods and users held to the same site guidelines we all agree to.

edit.

ps. Your point about site enjoyment is very important. You have several users indicating that the mod is interfering with our enjoyment of the site. This is why we are bringing it up. If my personal statements are getting in the way of someone's enjoyment of the site, I would like to know that and there are ways to tell me. I

Edited by linnormlord

Neither is little-man syndrome, but that's neither here nor there.

It is here and there because you're pushing your luck with your rude attitude. You might think Nemo is inappropriate but you're not going to get by with responding inappropriately. I won't stand for it.

Just my opinion, as I visit each theme on EB every now and then, and Nemo is the only mod whose name I can even remember off the top of my head, because he chimes in every 10 posts with reprimands about not using a period at the end of a post, which is pointless, or complaining that we talk about (discuss) things we heard through a grapevine, and may thus not be true (rumors), in threads titled "Rumors and Discussion", which is just asinine.

And then complains when users don't listen to him.

It isn't pointless. It is actually itself a point. >.< And it is part of the Site Guidelines. Grammar, English language. We're very serious about preserving what is being grossly bastardized by the social media generation (shakes cane at cathoid ray tube television). Again, we're volunteers and we donate this time to try to facilitate the site. Our methods are always evolving, we're all learning and nobody is perfect. We are doing our best and I know that Nemo does his. Nemo is invested in keeping order in the forum. If you're unhappy with the way he is moderating, you have this thread to express it to him. He can do with that information what he pleases. He's a reasonable guy. I know him in real life. I disagree with your impression of him, although I'm not saying that to take away from your opinion. You're certainly entitled to it, that's why we have this thread.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be helpful or not. You are not addressing the comments or concerns themselves. You have not acknowledged that a mod has insulted the forum users. Yes, much of what you are saying is correct, and mods have final say as per site guidelines, but still, ignoring insults lobbed at forum users is hard to understand.

Specifically, I don't see them as insults. And it's not my place to "reprimand" other staff in front of our members. If you don't think I'm trying to be helpful, what would you suggest I'm spending my valuable time on this for??

take the fun conversations to Community.

Those have been closed as well. Thinking specifically of the One Word at a Time Stories...