SheepEater

LOTR Orcs, Goblins & Trolls vs 2008 Orcs and Trolls

LOTR Orcs, Goblins & Trolls vs 2008 Orcs and Trolls  

71 members have voted

1. 1. LOTR Orcs, Goblins & Trolls vs 2008 Orcs and Trolls

• LOTR & The Hobbit Orcs, Goblins & Trolls
    • 2008 Fantasy Era Orcs & Trolls

Minifigures:

LOTR Orcs and goblins come in good color variety (dark tan orcs/goblins, green moria orcs and dark red uruk hais) but with few color variation in weapon & armor (mostly pearl dark gray).

2008 Orcs only came in sand green, but had more body print variations and a very good weapon and armor selection, having silver and bronze weapons and helmets, and a few different kinds of helmets.

Large figures:

2008 Trolls were all identical, with the only difference being plastic color (tan or sand green) and print color.

LOTR / Hobbit only have the cave troll and goblin king, but they are completely unique.

Which do you prefer?

Edited by SheepEater

I seem to remember that the 2008 orcs only had two torso prints (unless you count the unique King/Witch from the Mountain Fortress set). These two figs were the only 2008 orcs with unique heads. You could make them look a bit less uniform than the LOTOR orcs though due to the different weapons/armour/helmets etc available. Also the LOTOR stuff all features back printing which wasn't so common back in 2008.

I have a soft spot for the 2008 trolls although they do look pretty primitive (and even a bit small) next to the LOTOR Troll and Goblin King.

If I had to pick I would probably go for the 2008 stuff because I like the colour scheme and it's a little more universally useful than the LOTOR stuff.

Edited by Ecclesiastes
No need to use a larger font size

I don't really know. I like the old trolls, there heads make great custom orcs, and the color scheme was great! they also had some nice weapons and armor.

But the new orcs, goblins, uruk-hai are well done, and come with lots of lovely weapons and armor. It is a tie for me.

While I generally like the 2008 Fantasy Era orcs, I think the LotR/Hobbit ones are much more detailed and better overall. The troll is especially dated and blocky looking from the 2008 line.

My only problem with the LotR/Hobbit line so far is the total lack of variety. We have 1 set of armor (dark gray pearl helm and chest piece) and then 1 torso for the three different types of LotR orcs/goblins. The Hobbit goblins at least had 2 different torsos... which is kind of odd. Why did Lego do 2 different prints for goblins only appearing in 1 set (so far), but the Moria Orcs have all had the same one torso print despite being used in 5 different sets? That makes no sense. Why not do new prints where you will get the most bang for your buck?? A new head or two would be nice as well...

Definitely the LOTR orcs. They're much more detailed and I prefer the browner colours over the greens and greys.

The Fantasy Era ones still have their charm though.

I personally prefer the fantasy era Orcs, simply because they fit into a custom fantasy storyline better than LotR orcs. And they look pretty cool too.

I think both lines are very cool. The 2008 orcs fit in better with minifigs from various other themes, and they have a sort of cuteness to them. The LOTR orcs are serious and grotesque, which is also cool. I'm still disappointed with the lack of variety in LOTR orcdom, but it's no worse than most Lego badguys get. I've got several of the "orc packs" and it's the only army-building I've ever done.

The 2008 trolls, however, are just silly-looking. I don't like them at all. Not a huge fan of the LOTR trolls either, but they are better than the old ones by far.

I guess I prefer the fantasy Orcs/Trolls since they are more generic, and can be used for all kinds of characters, while the Tolkien Orcs/Trolls just come across as one-dimentionally evil (as they are supposed to!)

I guess I prefer the fantasy Orcs/Trolls since they are more generic, and can be used for all kinds of characters, while the Tolkien Orcs/Trolls just come across as one-dimentionally evil (as they are supposed to!)

I agree with you. I think that the fantasy era one looked more realistic especially with the armor.

The 2008 orcs fit in better with minifigs from various other themes, and they have a sort of cuteness to them.

they are just cartoony and adorable.

upload2BB0C2AE-BF64-411C-B578-B24234D2C5DF.jpg

"Me? Cute? Adorable? *SNORTS*"

Edited by SheepEater

I missed out on the Fantasy Era, so LOTR is a win for me. However, I do like some of those troll prints and the shield print. I do think they look like they could be a misunderstood baddie trying to be good, or a all-out baddie. Yet, the LOTR are full fledged baddies.

I choose LOTR, but if I had been into LEGO when Fantasy Era came out, I might have a harder time choosing.

Now if only we could get something like this for the LotR line. *Sigh* a guy can dream, can't he?

Or this,for the LotR line!

Edited by SheepEater

My preferences:

Equipment: LotR swords, shields and helmets - the Uruk-Hai helmet is so cute! The fantasy era equipment is too big and clunky.

Minifigs: Fantasy Era but the Hobbit/LotR minifigs are cool too. The Hobbit goblins should have come with short legs.

Trolls: I like both the Cave Troll and Fantasy Era ones in different ways. Even though I have the Goblin King, he isn't my favourite bigfig. His ugliness makes him unLEGO-like :grin: