So I was looking through all the interesting new Mindstorms stuff, and I've found a number of parts that are of potentially great interest to us Technic builders. In this thread I will discuss the three major new parts that have been seen so far, aside from the new P- brick and the sensors, obviously.

1. New 3x11 panels (the ones in the tracks.)

4.jpg

Part#: 6031916

What it is: This part is a redesign of the existing 3x11 curved panel. it has 8 new pin holes, and should be much easier to connect to other parts.

Potential use: Crane boom, unibody vehicles. This part would be good for a variety of things that need to be strong and curved, like the boom on a crane, or a vehicle with unibody construction. However, the additional pinholes make it a bit uglier. Hopefully, it will be produced alongside it's older sibling.

2. New track cleats. (the red bits on the track.)

4.jpg

Part#: 6036424

What it is: a (hopefully) rubber cleat that attaches to the newer style track pieces.

Potential use: Tracked vehicles, joysticks. This part would solve many problems with the new tracks, like poor traction, and noise. This piece could also be used to add detail, or make more comfortable seats and joysticks. It could also be used in robot grippers. I just hope they make them in colors other than red, cause that will stand out in any model vehicle.

3. Ball caster.

TBs_20130108_1_46.jpg

Part#: 6023956

What it is: a steel ball that fits in the female torque tube joint.

Potential use: Thrust bearings, ball casters, maybe roller bearings. This piece is a bit larger than a zamor sphere, and apparently fits fairly tightly in it's housing. The intended, and obvious use, is as a caster support for robots. However, I have thought up a different use, as a turntable support bearing for a large mobile crane. a set of maybe 8 of these units would be placed around the turntable in a rough circle, and take some of the load off of the turntable. This is a smaller, and cheaper solution over using Hailfire droid wheels and soccer balls.

Hope you like.

How were you able to get part numbers for these new parts?

@ jonwil: Legolijntje posted a link on this Eurobricks post: "You can get all kinds of information by downloaded the product sheets on this Lego Education page. The products with lego technic parts also have parts lists."

Specifically, the EV3's Parts Lists (with Lego Element IDs) are shown on the 45544 EV3 Core Set Product Sheet and the 45444 EV3 Expansion Set Product Sheet.

45544_190x100_ProductTout.png45560_190x100_ProductTout.png

i just noted that the RUBBER ATTACHMENT FOR TRACK ELEMENT from EV3 expansion set was already available at bricks and pieces selection at lego.com..

but dang! it's expensive at EUR1.21 a piece! For the 8043, we need around 38 pieces, so that is EUR 45.98 :cry_sad:

trackcleats_zps03c6a5a4.jpg

I also saw 'Rubber Attachment for Track Element Parts' available on the US Lego Education site recently. That site seems to be having issues right now, but they came in a pack of 30 and cost US$20 + tax + shipping.

Once the site is back up, go to www.legoeducation.us/eng/categories/products/middle-school/lego-mindstorms-education-ev3 (scroll down and click View All)

That's not for free! Hope we can get this via S@H, but that's doubtful when they sell them in educational packs. Time will tell.

Also wondering how these rubber elements perform. Some time ago I purchased rubber thingies which fitted nicely into the track holes. More grip, but it turned out to be a bumpy ride.

i just noted that the RUBBER ATTACHMENT FOR TRACK ELEMENT from EV3 expansion set was already available at bricks and pieces selection at lego.com..

but dang! it's expensive at EUR1.21 a piece! For the 8043, we need around 38 pieces, so that is EUR 45.98 :cry_sad:

I overlooked your post. Damn, that's not cheap either.

Edited by Gekke Ted