Sign in to follow this  
Thomas_w

M-Tron Observation platform

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello Euobricks, I thought I should preface this little moc with the disclaimer that this is my first real attempt at any lego building since I was a child. From lurking here for many years now I think the correct phrase would be "I am leaving the dark ages". With that in mind this model is built from parts of 2 M-tron ships I recently bought from Ebay, the 6923 Particle Ionizer and the 6956 Stellar Recon Voyager. I am not very happy with the picture quality, but it was the best I could manage with my terrible phone, but nevertheless on with the show.

The M-tron Obervataion Skimmer *huh*

imag0390.jpg

Which is itself composed of two separate entities, the skimmer:

imag0393.jpg

and the observation platform:

imag0385.jpg

imag0388.jpg

Originally I wanted to build some sort of colony ship. I imagine the M-tron company to be the kind of people to colonise new worlds. It became apparent that my vision was greater than my bricks and I couldn't build what was in my head! This ship then is a kind of transport for a "viewing platform". Rich citizens of the universe charter this platform to skim them over strange new worlds. From the safety of the platform they can observe new terrain and then the nobles can decide where to spend their spacebucks. The M-Tron employees who are making sure everything proceeds in a safe manner are suited up with their trademark helmets, the nobles however are too vain to observe proper protocol (I shudder to think what would happen if the world they are skimming over has no atmosphere!).

One thing you can't really notice is that the pilot of the skimmer cant actually sit down in the cockpit due to an unfortunate design flaw with the craft (Someone should fire the designer, he was probably half alseep when he build it and was too lazy to redesign the ship). She actually had to be amputated to fit in (M-Tron employees are nothing but dedicated).

Finally here is a shot of the CEOs, elites and royalty of the universe after a safe touchdown on my desk

imag0397.jpg

Thanks for looking

The skimmer is nice and maybe with not too many more bricks the pilot could get her legs back? It can be hard when you have limited resources to make what you want, but also it gets you thinking about ways to build that nomally you would not consider and in the long run a little pain at he start (specially for your pilot.) can be a good thing.

Always nice to see some classic space themes represented here.... My brother and I used to have the Particle Ionizer until we gave it away (along with most of our LEGO bricks) in 1995 (my first dark age).

I think you did a nice job representing the theme, and I really like your rich dandies, particularly how you used the mad scientist's flask upside down as a martini glass.

The skimmer is nice and maybe with not too many more bricks the pilot could get her legs back? It can be hard when you have limited resources to make what you want, but also it gets you thinking about ways to build that nomally you would not consider and in the long run a little pain at he start (specially for your pilot.) can be a good thing.

Thanks! I have been thinking about it, but I got distracted with the idea of a group of the space elite being robbed by some alien mercenaries so I have veered away from the M-tron ship for now. Its strange I wouldn't consider myself a creative person but it seems I have 12 years of stored Lego model concepts to release.

Always nice to see some classic space themes represented here.... My brother and I used to have the Particle Ionizer until we gave it away (along with most of our LEGO bricks) in 1995 (my first dark age).

I think you did a nice job representing the theme, and I really like your rich dandies, particularly how you used the mad scientist's flask upside down as a martini glass.

The weird thing about the Particle Ionizer is that it has green laser helicopter blades, which as a spaceship I can't quite get my head around. As above the thing thats stirred my brain the most is the concept of these upper class space guys. Though I would still want to build models based around the idea of colonising some untamed world, I think I might try and build something related to these hastily thought of socialites.

Thanks for the kind words :)

A fine build in a classic Space theme.

One thing you can't really notice is that the pilot of the skimmer cant actually sit down in the cockpit due to an unfortunate design flaw with the craft (Someone should fire the designer, he was probably half alseep when he build it and was too lazy to redesign the ship). She actually had to be amputated to fit in (M-Tron employees are nothing but dedicated).

From looking at your design, you could probably just turn the pilot's legs around and attatch it horizontally to the four black studs at the back of the cockpit. (Using reverse legs is how I have medieval minifigs kneel to pray.)

Welcome to Eurobricks!

That's pretty good build for a fresh out-of-dark-ages-er!

And I know how you feel, when I got out of the dark ages I had all these plans of monster builds... years later I'm finally getting the bricks I need to do what I want.

But this is a great start! And I love your 'nobles' :laugh:

impressive. I always enjoy revisiting the old classic space themes and imagining what could have been. I especially like the observation deck. nice use of newer pieces!

This is great! I usually hate to see space figures that aren't fully spacesuited up, but 'too vain' for breathing gear is an excuse I can get behind :laugh:

Edited by Big Sal