Sign in to follow this  
Blake Baer

MOC: Raid of Scone

indexed.gif

Scottish history has always been very interesting to me and I have been wanting to create a scene for a long time. Brickfair '11 gave me a perfect chance.

In the beginning of William Wallace's illustrious career, one of his first battles was the Raid on Scone. The city of Scone was where Scottish kings were crowned so it was important for Wallace to crown the rightful heir to the throne.

I hope you enjoy! Feedback/questions/criticisms are very much welcome! Thank you.

2exqwyt.jpg

9s4b5g.jpg

e6rsbr.jpg

~Blake

Edited by TazManiac
Indexed

O' Flower of Scotland...

Nice MOC...historical MOCs are always of interest to me.

by the way, those tan legs at the left bottom corner of the MOC. what are they for?

Cheers!

William Wallace :) Braveheart :)

Really nicely done MOC. Is William Wallace the first fella by the gate ?

Thanks for sharing.

This really is a fantastic little scene. My only suggestion would be to add a walkway along the inner wall for your defenders. As it now stands, the wall around the city would be difficult to defend given that the soldiers on the inside don't actually have the high ground. The scene itself is quite attractive. I think you simply need to improve the fortifications a bit. A microscale castle or stone fortification behind the small city houses would also make the scene a bit more imposing.

WOW! Your level of detail is awesome! Is that army man helmet a turtle? It sure looks like one. The style of your buildings is great stuff. I can't wait for your next moc! :thumbup:

Yes this is very nice,

I love historical mocs the most, the black circular tiles for the roof is a new design to me and it looks very good

thansk for showing us :thumbup:

AWESOME historic MOC, fantastic details with plenty of action. :excited:

Brick On 'Blake Baer' and remember 'They'll never take our freedom !' :grin:

Very nice! Love the roofing technique where you use the black round plates. Some very clever techniques used here. Definitively like it :sweet:

That's a great MOC! I really like the wall you've built, but as blueandwhite pointed, maybe it would benefit from being reinforced or enlarged. Scone is supposed to be an important town, right, so surely they would've surrounded the town with a stone wall or a big, reinforced wooden wall. But that's my only gripe, overall I really like the MOC and all its details, such as the turtle and innovating roofing techniques :thumbup: . I bet you're eagerly awaiting the new 'Highlander' Collectible Minifig aren't you :grin: ?

This really is a fantastic little scene. My only suggestion would be to add a walkway along the inner wall for your defenders. As it now stands, the wall around the city would be difficult to defend given that the soldiers on the inside don't actually have the high ground. The scene itself is quite attractive. I think you simply need to improve the fortifications a bit. A microscale castle or stone fortification behind the small city houses would also make the scene a bit more imposing.

Thank you very much! I have sincere respects for your castles. In response to your suggestion, that is a very good idea and one that I would normally try to fit in. Unfortunately given the deadline of Brickfair I decided to have a slightly unfinished MOC than no MOC at all. Excellent comment and thank you for your criticism!

That's a great MOC! I really like the wall you've built, but as blueandwhite pointed, maybe it would benefit from being reinforced or enlarged. Scone is supposed to be an important town, right, so surely they would've surrounded the town with a stone wall or a big, reinforced wooden wall. But that's my only gripe, overall I really like the MOC and all its details, such as the turtle and innovating roofing techniques :thumbup: . I bet you're eagerly awaiting the new 'Highlander' Collectible Minifig aren't you :grin: ?

Another excellent comment. You must also remember that this is not nearly as advanced a civilization as England and other countries. Aside from Roman influence and now English tyranny, Scottland has been very much in the dark as far as technology goes. Aside from the Roman fortifications, stone castles only came into Scottland during the English rule. Based on these facts, I really tried to gather the impression of a much older town. (I believe the estimated time for the battle is 1271) Thank you for your excellent suggestion!

Another excellent comment. You must also remember that this is not nearly as advanced a civilization as England and other countries. Aside from Roman influence and now English tyranny, Scottland has been very much in the dark as far as technology goes. Aside from the Roman fortifications, stone castles only came into Scottland during the English rule. Based on these facts, I really tried to gather the impression of a much older town. (I believe the estimated time for the battle is 1271) Thank you for your excellent suggestion!

Ah, okay, I admit I didn't know that :tongue: . Your explanation makes the MOC more credible for me, thank you! Still, ramparts would look great, like blueandwhite said. I think they would add to the realism of the MOC, yet not destroy the "antique" look you were going for.

A lovely diorama Blake Baer, i like the evidence of agriculture lying around outside the walls, looks as though the inhabitants have been taken unawares and just managed to get inside and bar the gates in time. (In time for them to be burned down, that is! :devil:) I'd quite like to get a better look at the defenders though, do you have any pics from inside the town?

Lots of old and new techniques (to me) in there and they come together perfectly :thumbup: . My favorite is the fig legs for wheat. Is that your sigfig in front of the door? :look:

I have to ask, are you still planning to continue the "Tribute to America" series after Fort McHenry?

Lots of old and new techniques (to me) in there and they come together perfectly :thumbup: . My favorite is the fig legs for wheat. Is that your sigfig in front of the door? :look:

I have to ask, are you still planning to continue the "Tribute to America" series after Fort McHenry?

An excellent question, and I certainly will (and have already)with my latest installment of the Civil War

Personally, I think the thing that stood out for me the most was the autumnal tree (or perhaps I interpreted it all wrong and it's something else entirely, lol), and the turtle on the river bank which I barely noticed (it blended in very well). :)

Everything else was extremely detailed, but some things just didn't feel right (the round snot plate roof, I imagine because they're too shiny, I feel), but I dunno.

Ultimately, a very fine representation of this scene, very good.