Sign in to follow this  
Franco Clarke

[OL-FB] Ritual and Residence

Erwin strolled along a path, making sure to place his feet carefully, since the ground around here was quite boggy. He stepped around a clump of grass which had sprung up through the compacted earth and stones. Looking up, he spotted a stone carving about 10 yards further along the path. Erwin strode up to it and released it was one of the many shrines that studded the paths and roads of the island. He removed his hat and recited a prayer, wishing good luck for his family, all those miles away back home.

25278883643_1d9f1dd679_z.jpg

He stood up after a few minutes in contemplation, and then continued along the pathway.

About 2 hours later, the track terminated at the main road to Breshaun, and Erwin began marching back to the port. When he was about halfway there a hay wagon offered him a lift, so he was soon back in the town. Feeling his purse, Erwin decided that he probably wouldn't be able to pay the rent on the small room he was staying in until the Saler was fixed. He would need to find some sort of permanent residence that was cheap. Apparently, Erwin wasn't the only one who wanted a cheap place to live, but eventually he found a tiny poky little room above one of the warehouses near the waterfront. A balcony outside provided views of the bay and the myriad ships slowly bobbing at anchor within it. Erwin soon found out why this room was so cheap, as the warehouse never seemed to be closed, and there was a constant noise of boxes and barrels being shuffled around downstairs. Oh well at least there was a roof overhead....

25881704276_8e45a6b16f_z.jpg

A few more pictures of the 2 scenes from some different angles.

25812646551_a8ed201cab_z.jpg

25278882673_9b9206af7c_z.jpg

25907566015_41416956e1_z.jpg

The first image works out really well, and I like both builds! Good job!

I don't know if it was intentional, but the background on the first pictures looks like a partly clouded sky. It makes it a dramatic shot. Good job on getting some architectural features on on the house wth so few bricks. I have the same problems with fitting roofs tightly, so I won't mention anything about that.. :tongue:

Edited by Sir Stig

That's not much of a roof over his head, but I guess it's better than nothing pir_laugh2.gif.

Both of those builds are quite nice. The path in the first one is really nice with the dark tan, tan, and grey strewn throughout, and the 1x1 round plates make the idol look weathered. As for the house, you created some nice styling with a limited number of bricks. I recommend adding something to fill the gap along the top of the roof (I've seen some people lay 1x1 round bricks along it).

I don't know if it was intentional, but the background on the first pictures looks like a partly clouded sky. It makes it a dramatic shot.

I thought it was sky edited in until I read this and had a second look! Two nice little builds to advance your story. I particularly like the texture of the ground in the first build.

Nice vignettes! I especially love the atmosphere with that small stone carving :classic:

The city scene is also good. (Where is that three-arched window from...??)

Regarding the photography I think the perspectives would be significantly improved if you were to step back the camera a bit and zoom in instead. (Now the part closer to the camera is "magnified" too much in my taste)

The initial vignette is really nice and reminds me of a similar scene by the good fellow who posted before me. :pir-wink: The textures are really nice and the little monument is neat. The backdrop does indeed produce a good cloudy sky effect.

The house is small but looks pretty good. Perhaps a more substantial roof would be more fitting but the basic design is nice. At first glance I thought the three-arch opening was just three seperate window pieces, but upon reading the prior comment and noticing the lack of top studs, I'm also wondering just what that is and where it came from.

Good work overall. :classic:

The sympathetic replies are much appreciated!

I don't know if it was intentional, but the background on the first pictures looks like a partly clouded sky. It makes it a dramatic shot. Good job on getting some architectural features on on the house wth so few bricks. I have the same problems with fitting roofs tightly, so I won't mention anything about that.. :tongue:

Thank you, but I cannot claim responsibility for the 'sky' it was just a sheet hung over a box, which has come out really well now you mention it!

Nice vignettes! I especially love the atmosphere with that small stone carving :classic:

The city scene is also good. (Where is that three-arched window from...??)

Regarding the photography I think the perspectives would be significantly improved if you were to step back the camera a bit and zoom in instead. (Now the part closer to the camera is "magnified" too much in my taste)

Thanks for the advice on photography, I will try to use the zoom, although there is a small chip in the lens which becomes very apparent when you use the zoom! Also here is the window piece https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=30077&idColor=1#T=C&C=1