Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

ILjPAJk.jpg?1

znBqZou.jpg?1

5VjK5wq.jpg?1

Still a lot to do on the super structure, counter weight and some details.

Edited by goggel

Just spent an evening reading through the whole thread and this crane is fantastic! Now to read back and collect all the instructions. Very will done gentlemen.

Here are few options for a counter-weight

1. A box made with lego panels, but filled with sand (in a plastic bag of course)

2. Many stacked heavy parts 73090b from BrickLink

73090b.jpg?0

Option #1 it clearly is for those adventurous amongst us, not bound by 'purist' edicts. Though, cost-wise, option #2 might be a viable altenative than to fill the counterweight with regular bricks.

I use option 2 in my build. I use six of those weights in black.

I've used 2 210:1 geared down Firgelli actuators. Are your nxt2pf cables also pretty stiff? Could make the cable routing pretty hard.

@goggel: which file/instruction did you used for the superstructure?

I've created a own superstructure, obviously based on the superstructure of effermann. But still needs some redesign and optimization.

Are your nxt2pf cables also pretty stiff? Could make the cable routing pretty hard.

That's exactly the problem I'm working on. First I tried to put the cables with the other cables inside the side panels, but they are too short and to stiff to connect them on the Receivers. I've to use an 20cm extension wire. Now I try to assemble the cables in front of the superstructure, in the free space near the cabin. Hope it will solve the problem.

Greetings

Alex

This is an awesome model, and projects like this make my wonder that I may have faulty L motors, because my L motors even truggle with a much lighter boom and simpler drivetrain.

1927 parts, the instruction is done

http://bricksafe.com...l oberwagen.zip

Hi Efferman

I've used these to build your cab and counterweight, but i've got stuck at the final installation. Is this model for a third party actuator only or have you an original hidden somewhere for TLG actuators with limited range of lift?

Am I also right in saying there are two working spools - one on the main structure for lighter lifts and the one on the counterweight for heavier loads?

The counterweight is a stunning addon - beautiful design. :thumbup:

My superstructure was made for my xl aktuator. If you want use lego actuators, you should choose gergers superstructure.

The second winch on the counterweight is for a flyjib which is often used on large cranes like the grove.

Thanks - I guess the next question is how does one go about buying one of your actuators?

I'm guessing it's this one:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/42LB4DBXF/xl-linear-actuator-18-studs-stroke-v1-1?li=user-profile&optionId=43806408

That one says Beta - if it's the one in question, do you think it's ready for use, or would you expect further development?

Hi afol 1969

I have finished the Ultimate 42009 and have gathered the parts to start on the Grove 6400. Have you had time yet to convert efferman's crane to a PDF?

Edited by Karle

you mean this one?

http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/GMK6400-MK3.pdf

it's primarily gerger's crane, with a bunch of extras added by others along the way. Efferman has a pdf of his superstructure and the larger counterweight, (earlier in the post) but I find it unreadable - too much translucent stuff - so used the oberwagon.zip file from effermans bricksafe folder.

Bonox, use these two sets to get one actuator

https://www.shapeways.com/product/62649TWYN/actuator-stroke-18-outside

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZSWVQ4FRF/actuator-stroke-18-inside

The parts are the same, but two sets are 6€ cheaper than the all in one Set. The actuator is still beta because i have not get enough feedback from people who has ordered it.

Thanks for the reply. I've just placed an order, so i'll let you and the group know my feedback on it for this model. :sweet:

Hi bonox,

I loaded efferman's Oberwagen file over a month ago. LDD was able to generate step instructions for all but the Gesamtmdell and Teileliste sub files. afol 1969 had the same problem and offered to generate a pdf if no one else would. If you were able to find a work around would you please share it. I also prefer effermans version of the cane and will be ordering his single actuator.

Edited by Karle

Hi afol 1969

I have finished the Ultimate 42009 and have gathered the parts to start on the Grove 6400. Have you had time yet to convert efferman's crane to a PDF?

No, I didn't have time to make PDF instructions, there's just the CAD file available. Maybe there's a volunteer to make instructions, I'm working on other projects now - especially on gerger's crane boom with the Firgelli actuators. The superstructure I've modifiede and I'm working on instructions. For the boom I'd to make several tries to get the best function and the highest lift angle. After some tests, I can say that the boom can be lift with two standard Firgelli acutators - with fully charded batteries in the BB. I'm now on the third try - and the last to have the perfect combination. But each time I've partially to disassemble the boom. Here some pictures after the first modification try:

p1040188.jpg

p1040191.jpg

p1040202.jpg

Greetings

Alex

Thanks for the reply. I've just placed an order, so i'll let you and the group know my feedback on it for this model. :sweet:

Check the topic about Efferman's parts. I have one of these XL actuators and wrote quite a bit about my experiences with it. You may have to do a lot of sanding.

Check the topic about Efferman's parts. I have one of these XL actuators and wrote quite a bit about my experiences with it. You may have to do a lot of sanding.

Cheers - good to know. I've already been cutting parts for this model, so more fabrication will fit right into the theme :laugh:

Hi all,

Now I think that I've the final and more or less perfect version from the MK3-crane with the modified superstructure (two Firgelli actuators)

Instructions will follow soon.

gmk6400-mk3_firgelli.jpg

Greetings

Alex

OK, now that I don't know how many version is

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong:

- with suspension

- without suspension three version

- with Firgelli actuators by afol1969

- with big superstructure and Efferman xl actuators

- primary garger crain without suspension and the same superstructure like with suspension

I'm right?

Edited by aniszek1

znBqZou.jpg?1

Still a lot to do on the super structure, counter weight and some details.

p1040191.jpg

Greetings

Alex

Hi all,

Now I think that I've the final and more or less perfect version from the MK3-crane with the modified superstructure (two Firgelli actuators)

Instructions will follow soon.

Greetings

Alex

It looks so real to the actual crane with the longer actuators. Looking forward to see how the boom preforms and how the carrier move around with these cool superstructures!

OK, now that I don't know how many version is

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong:

- with suspension

- without suspension three version

- with Firgelli actuators by afol1969

- with big superstructure and Efferman xl actuators

- primary garger crain without suspension and the same superstructure like with suspension

I'm right?

Yes.

It looks so real to the actual crane with the longer actuators. Looking forward to see how the boom preforms and how the carrier move around with these cool superstructures!

I've made an demonstration with different boom rise angles:

gmk6400-mk3_firgelli-test1.jpg

gmk6400-mk3_firgelli-test2.jpg

As you see, you can get an higher angle with additional liftarms whose function is like an actuator elongation. I was inspirated by efferman's boom construction. It needed a lot of tries, but I think now I've got the best results, the boom lift angle looks relistic, and there are no problems to raise it with standard Firgelli actuators. But it's the limit, a longer boom (like efferman's boom) needs down-geared actuators.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to congratulate all those who are working for the establishment and improvement of this incredible moc.

I downloaded the part list and instructions for the moc "normal" (I do not have the actuators Firgelli), I'm missing a few parts, but as soon as I will try to build it.

Thank you all for the excellent work.

Scapuc