My Elves playmat arrived today! Going to finish building the Treetop set and then put all my elves set there. Will get some pics tomorrow. So excited!

My Elves playmat arrived today! Going to finish building the Treetop set and then put all my elves set there. Will get some pics tomorrow. So excited!

Playmat?

I am still finishing up a small set (Aira's Creative Workshop) but here is all the other elves sets on top of the playmat. I will get a better pic later today once all the sets are done

16769304236_a6f0b77485_z.jpg

Edited by brickpreviews

here is all the other elves sets on top of the playmat.

Thank you for sharing BrickPreviews. The mats look good, although a little crowded on the east side. There sure is a lot of ocean, but that makes sense, since the ship needs enough space to sail around. It's also nice to see the sets' sizes in relation to each other.

Thank you for sharing BrickPreviews. The mats look good, although a little crowded on the east side. There sure is a lot of ocean, but that makes sense, since the ship needs enough space to sail around. It's also nice to see the sets' sizes in relation to each other.

The cool thing about the playmat is it's double-sided, so there's one side with a lot of ocean and one side with more land (including some lava fields). I believe that you can even link the two sides together, if you're willing to pay for two of them and have space for that. The land side has a river that looks like it should line up with the one on the ocean side.

^My mistake, I thought that was the two mats in BrickPreviews post. I see that on the other side it is much more land based with a nice lava section designed for the bakery. Thanks for the correction.

Yup what Aanchir said, it is double sided! Here are some better pics with the Creative Workshop added on both sides.

16173677684_54b40e4438_b.jpg

16794890802_96982ecf21_b.jpg

Edited by brickpreviews

haha, at first I did read it as "Elvis 2015" :grin:

but the "playmat"...wow,,extremely beautiful,,if they only make something like this also for other themes, especially SPACE...I would buy several of them right away! :wink:

haha, at first I did read it as "Elvis 2015" :grin:

but the "playmat"...wow,,extremely beautiful,,if they only make something like this also for other themes, especially SPACE...I would buy several of them right away! :wink:

They've done these for quite a few themes, actually. Currently, there's a Friends playmat (jungle on one side, Heartlake City on the other), Legends of Chima playmat (two connecting jungle/swamp scenes), City Playmat (two connecting road scenes). There is also a new City Playmat (with stickers!) coming out this year. Previously there was another Friends playmat with Heartlake City on one side and some rural roads on the other (reference).

The only Space playmats I know were the Exploriens Floor Puzzle and Space Floor Puzzle from the 90s, back in the days when RoseArt was friendly with the LEGO Group instead of running their own sleazy clone brands! I think part of the reason there haven't been floor puzzles for more recent Space themes is that generally, individual space themes aren't as lucrative and aren't projected for as long a life as themes like City, Friends, Legends of Chima, and Elves (even though we tend to think of individual Space themes as "sub-themes", they haven't been branded that way since the 90s). Another factor is that acting out a space battle doesn't always require any kind of ground the way that, say, acting out a LEGO City police chase or rescue does.

They've done these for quite a few themes, actually. Currently, there's a Friends playmat (jungle on one side, Heartlake City on the other), Legends of Chima playmat (two connecting jungle/swamp scenes), City Playmat (two connecting road scenes). There is also a new City Playmat (with stickers!) coming out this year. Previously there was another Friends playmat with Heartlake City on one side and some rural roads on the other (reference).

Friends has a third playmat of sorts, albeit not the same kind as those others; it's printed on paper, and is very much like a poster, except that it has a straight-down overhead view of some grass, sidewalk, etc. rather than characters and such. It was some sort of promotional item at Toys 'R' Us. I wound up getting a slew of ones leftover from what I assume was a store event. I'll try to post a pic later.

There are similar, simple paper playmats that have actually been included with sets in numerous themes since the early days; I'm sure LEGOHistorian would be happy to tell us about ones from the '60s and '70s. They do also figure in various later sets, though, such as the early 2000s Dinosaurs.

I like the play mat! Very nice, the side with more land definitely fits the sets better, minus the ship. Is the build of Azari's Magic Fire meant to be a bench?

I like the play mat! Very nice, the side with more land definitely fits the sets better, minus the ship. Is the build of Azari's Magic Fire meant to be a bench?

Yup it is a bench thingie with a fire undernearth it. You roast the apple over it

Picked up Farran and Aira's sets yesterday and ordered Naida's spa to get the polybag! I really like the Aira set, each piece has a small play feature.

Built all of the sets but Farran's on the weekend - am seriously impressed with the playability and design of them - I hope this theme really picks up!

brickpreviews Thank you for showing of the playmat. I already had it on my wishlist, but it is even better than i thought. I have my ship and absolutely love it. Planning on the Treetop Hideway next week.

Love this thread! This theme seemed so unpopular at first, but people have really warmed to it.

So, after resisting the temptation of the LOTR sets for many years, I have finally come out of my dark ages and bought myself some lego. And it's the Elves theme that did it. I'm having difficulty explaining why I like it so much, but I'm in hook, line and sinker. Maturity and feminism be damned!

As to feminism though, I don't think there is anything wrong with a Lego theme that somewhat aims itself at a female audience. I would have had trouble with "simplified" or "dumbed down" line of sets, or sets that depict female characters doing only stereotypically feminine things. But these sets stay away from these pitfalls from the past. They are proper Lego sets without large single-use parts and lots of play features, the colors are adorable, and there is a strong sense of exploration and adventure. Nice work!

In fact the only set I haven't bought is the adventure ship, and I plan to buy that before the end of the month.

The treehouse is my absolute favourite, so much going on with that one, lots of features, lots of details. I have adapted all the sets into a sort of small Elven village. Is it ok to post photos here?

Oh please do post photos! In was a bit dubious about this theme in the beginning, but now I love it! (I also collect modulars, so it;s a fair departure from that! :classic: )

16397486257_6be81c6504_z.jpg

16418933449_f40fbf9092_z.jpg

Allow me to quote Just2good's post! I have this set, and the drawing-board and bird stand are lovely, but I didn't really feel the staircase and flying machine. It all seemed a bit clumsy. She can't stand on the stairs because they are tiled, the balance of the figure while holding the contraption seems awkward... But then I realized I had the parts of Friends set 41000 (Kate's water-scooter) lying around. Bought it for the figure, did not care for the little boat. But put the two together...And it's my first, modest MOC!

DSCF3380.jpg

DSCF3382.jpg

That's one lazy bird. So, what do you think?

Edited by Velouria

I think the "staircase" in the Creative Workshop set is supposed to be more of a step-stool. That way she can use it as a seat when she's working at the desk, but also climb up onto it when she's testing her wing pack.

One thing that surprised me about this set is that there's only really one drawer. When I first saw the sets, I thought the designers had come up with a brilliant way of making two drawers, and my brother and I even came up with the technique I thought they might have used to do so in that space. But then it turned out it was just one drawer, which means we came up with that technique all on our own. :tongue: I can understand the decision to have just one drawer, though, since my technique would probably not have allowed space for an ink bottle.

Edited by Aanchir

Yes there's only one drawer, but it is functional. You can hide the map and letter in it. And as an architect myself, I adore the printed ruler. Oh and I got two pairs of scissors! Rrrr!