Sign in to follow this  
CabooseBM

Onua: Rebuild

onuapost.jpg

Onua is the wise Toa of Earth, while all the Toa Mata are the same age, she acts as an older sister and mentor to the other five. She is quiet, but beneath that is a mind that is always at work, when she does speak, everyone would do well to listen. Onua is kind and understanding, and while Pohatu is the heart of the Toa Mata, she is the mediator, she mends feuds and resolves arguments between the six toa. She is very protective of her Matoran, and will sometimes go to unreasonable lengths to not inconvenience them! Onua possesses great strength and durability, built to work underground in the most punishing of conditions. She can control the living dirt and plantlife directly, bending them to her will with ease. Her Toa Tools are directly integrated into her hands, great claws that can dig through anything that stands in her way!

(The moc here represents Onua as she appears in the Bionicle: Rebuild universe, hence her gender and any changes from “canon”.)

Edited by CabooseBM

Everything's fantastic, except the fact that you made him a female :hmpf: Seriously, there are some things that shouldn't be changed, ever

Nice work, but Voxovan is right. I think that making Onua female character is... weird and unnecessary?

-H.unter

Those claws... I swear, if this is what we see next year, I'll be very happy (doubt the official sets will be as nice, but whatever).

Anyway, looks great. But the switch to female is a little strange. Personally, I feel if anyone should be changed to female it should be Kopaka. But I digress.

Your Lewa looks great, too.

Man, if you didn't like the changes to Onua, you're gonna FLIP when I get to Tahu! =V

I'm glad you folks like the build, anyway.

Edited by CabooseBM

Man, if you didn't like the changes to Onua, you're gonna FLIP when I get to Tahu! =V

Is he gonna be... BLUE? <:V

While I'm not sure about making Onua out of all female (I guess it's probably due to how I see him as the most masculine looking one), I applaud you for working for a better gender ratio. And doing it on iconic character like the Toa Mata is quite the brave thing to do!

On the MOC, she looks very organic (not as "the opposite of mechanic", I'm talking about how well the shells flow together). Pretty much how I'd rebuild Onua Mata. Using a longer claw for the middle finger is a brilliant idea.

Looking at Lewa on your tumblr, he (she?) looks great! But I'd use less lime and more bright green.

Nice design, I'm not sure if I like the claw having a thumb but it does make sense.

I'm glad you folks like the build, anyway.

Tahu and Gali are male Siamese twins?

While I'm not sure about making Onua out of all female (I guess it's probably due to how I see him as the most masculine looking one), I applaud you for working for a better gender ratio. And doing it on iconic character like the Toa Mata is quite the brave thing to do!

On the MOC, she looks very organic (not as "the opposite of mechanic", I'm talking about how well the shells flow together). Pretty much how I'd rebuild Onua Mata. Using a longer claw for the middle finger is a brilliant idea.

Looking at Lewa on your tumblr, he (she?) looks great! But I'd use less lime and more bright green.

I do see what you're saying, Onua's exxagerated shoulders and hunched over design are traits often exclusive to male characters, but I feel that's more a product of the Law of Disparate Stylization(Male characters can look all sorts of crazy but female characters are stuck with "realistic" proportions) than anything else, so I do my part, small as it is, to work against that. Onua is a squat, purpose-built digging machine, and her gender ain't changing that. =)

Thank you for the compliment! I really appreciate that, actually, how 'organic' it is. A big part of that is how nice and easy she is to pose. I guess that's LEGO parts quality for you!

As for Lewa, weeeeellll, the rub there is that parts in medium green are hard to come by nowadays, especially now that Superheroes sets go for stupid expensive on Bricklink. I definitely agree, but it's not totally within my power, I'm afraid. =/

Nice design, I'm not sure if I like the claw having a thumb but it does make sense.

Yeah, the thumb is useful for emoting and grasping and whatnot. =V

Edited by CabooseBM

That is nice! Toa Mata Onua was my very first Bionicle set, and that is a stunning recreation of it. Can't wait to see the others

Guys, Onua is the Toa of Earth, and it actually makes perfect sense for him to be female instead (Mother Earth) *oh2*

I realized it when I read on OP's blog that Onua is protective towards her Matoran, and it really opened my mind.

Hey guys, I ended up redoing Onua's back armor, which helps fill out her shoulders a bit, thought I'd share:

tumblr_nc4z49liGW1qd3qgxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nc4z49liGW1qd3qgxo2_1280.jpg

Oh damn, that's good! And good god, the hands.

Also, the mask is all scratched up. Intentional?

Hey guys, I ended up redoing Onua's back armor, which helps fill out her shoulders a bit, thought I'd share:

tumblr_nc4z49liGW1qd3qgxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nc4z49liGW1qd3qgxo2_1280.jpg

Outstanding build, but the scratches are unwatchable.

That mask is probably 13 years old, so you'll have to forgive its condition. Some things don't leave childhood unscathed. =)

Edited by CabooseBM