Zerobricks

Collaboration/Group Project Brainstorming

I think it's a very good idea, might be fun. I'm not sure I can join in but simply watching the progress would also be fun.

Some kind of version control (SVN, Git, formalised filenames, etc) will be essential.

Yes, it would be good, but everyone might not be familiar with version control concepts.

A spreadsheet shared via google docs might be another good place to track the versions, with columns like version, last edited by, file link, changes. People can also create a new row without the file link, to show who is currently working on the project, like a reservation for the next release.

In my mind I could see this working if sections of the vehicle were made by different people to a set scale. Maybe start on something smaller, a mini to mid scale model maybe.

H

Like mini 200 style? Someone builds a truck, the other a trailer, third one the cargo (forklift or dozer, or such...)

I like the idea as well, especially the suggestion of building a truck collectively .

For a while I have a similar project in mind, where I want to design a truck similar to the 8258. This scale gives the freedom for many variations and features.

In my opinion a modular design would be most promising, although the need for a standarised interface makes it a bit more complex, there are many advantages:

- Allows for individual styling (cab over engine, long nose, ...)

- Create huge potential for features (cargo, cranes, trailers, RC, ...)

- Creates freedom in the amount, position and steering of axles

- Modules with separate functions (steering, retractable rear axle, ..) can be developed separately, by different people for example

I'm curious what this could lead to.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Maybe each indiviudal can build a module, whatever he's the best in, like one build front axle, someone else rear axles, third person chassis, fourth bodywork and fifth one puts it all together.

The idea of a modular build sounds best to me, where each person builds a different bit of the model. Could I already volunteer for rear axle? :laugh:

I was thinking: maybe the 8258 could be the startingpoint for this excercise. Its design is already partially modular, so by making is truly modular we could identify the requirements such a module must meet. Dimensions (min/max), rigidity, room for axles and/or pneumatic hoses passing through, structural connection to the other modules, etc are some of the aspects which will need to be standardised.

Once we have the basic module, designing can start. It might also be useful to make a wishlist of features and functions, and possibly make a choice to reduce the complexity if needed.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Piterx is very good when it comes to body design. He was the first name that came to my mind.

I think a big model would be too ambitious to start with, however a medium sized vehicle would be very nice.

You are experiencing the complexities of worker management. There's a good book: Mythical Man Month. says: "9 women can't make a baby in a month." Communication costs scale non-linearly. "At some point, adding developers to a project will slow it's progress."

Let's make a collaborative thread!

To avoid the communication/management problems, what about trying something with well defined interface - like wheeled/tracked bases similar to the one of 8043 and various superstructures (digger, drill, ...). Or some truck chassis with various "superstructures" - flatbed, dumper, cherry picker, crane etc... Or skid steer loader and different atachements for them. Or tractor with many different accessories. This way also less experienced builders could participate without feeling that more experienced one redesigned completely what they designed.

An interesting idea indeed! I am just recently escaping my Technic Dark Age after completing my senior year of high school (I spent it all applying to college, 3D-printing walking robots, and making my own 3D-printer) and I'm glad something like this is one of the first things I see!

I do have to admit though.. There are definitely hurdles to be overcome. Some sort of version control as mentioned would be nice. I also thing we should favor a slightly medium-large model of a smaller one because despite the extra complexity and time involved, it will make developing compatible modules and frames etc. much easier (more wiggle room and flexibility..).

Maybe we should make something fictional! 6-8 wheel truck with outriggers, PF drive and steering, and a flat surface on top on which we could attach modules of different sorts (crane, excavator arm etc.). That way, there are several systems involved for people to work on individually. It would definitely require a lot of people or a few extremely dedicated ones. I may have time to pitch in this summer but I'm not sure. I hope to bring my Technic with me to Carnegie Mellon next year, but I'm not sure if I'll have space. Any AFOL's in Pittsburgh?? We could collab in person :classic:

Also, Blakbird, I have used SR3D before several times (albeit a while ago) and I loved it. I thought it was much nicer than MCLAD. It's more like LDD, but more powerful and full of neat functionality. It definitely benefits from having a decent computer (I do a lotttttt of CAD on mine so running SR3D was fine for me). Not sure if other programs have received updates in ther recent past though so my opinions/experiences could be out of date!

I think we should just building something and we'll learn along the way... Okay lets build a medium scale crane with outriggers. Who will start?

How about a telehander with outriggers instead or a backhoe loader?

Cranes are too common... :blush:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

How about a telehander with outriggers instead or a backhoe loader?

Cranes are too common... :blush:

Okay....A telehandler :wink: I know where this is going haha.

Sorry to keep going on about the truck suggestion, but I really think it would be ideal for this idea. As a trial we could keep it very simple and the truck could simply consist out of: Rear axle module, Basic frame, Front axle module, Cabine and a Flatbed. Once this is realised extra modules with increasing complexity can simple be added. Similarly to the modular supercar shown here somewhere, the goal could be a library with building blocks, so that anyone interested can build their ideal truck(s).

Alternatively, I wonder if we can find the unique advantage of such an international cooperation? Could this be an opportunity for "something" that hasn't been done before? An unconventinal scale, a machine that hasn't been done before, record breaking build time, ... I can't really put in words, but I have the feeling the potential is huge.

To be honest, I'm a bit bored with cranes and telehandlers are not my thing. But I'm very curious what the consensus will be. Maybe a poll could be a good starting point?

I think a truck would be ideal! :thumbup: Before we get started, there are a lot of things to agree upon, regarding style (European? American? Indian/Arabian Jingle-Truck?), scale, colour, physical size (especially regarding the width of the model), number of axles, should it be PF'ed, should it be RC'ed etc. Once you decide these, one person can start working on one thing, and another can start working on another. For example, gearboxes with universal outputs for powering different kind of functions, front- and rear axles, cabin design, front bumper, suspension (might fall in under axles), drivetrain, etc etc...

A good start point would be to agree upon the wheels to be used! :classic:

Again; a shared dropbox folder would easily be the best way to keep things up to date among the parties involved in the collaboration. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also, there would have to be a "project manager" to take important decisions along the way, as there no doubt will be differences of opinions! :wink:

Edited by D3K

You can have many different styles, that's the cool thing about it. We just need to standardize the scale and then the hitching mechanism and height of the hitch.

With that set you can have several trucks and trailers that all work together.

Sorry to keep going on about the truck suggestion, but I really think it would be ideal for this idea. As a trial we could keep it very simple and the truck could simply consist out of: Rear axle module, Basic frame, Front axle module, Cabine and a Flatbed. Once this is realised extra modules with increasing complexity can simple be added. Similarly to the modular supercar shown here somewhere, the goal could be a library with building blocks, so that anyone interested can build their ideal truck(s).

Alternatively, I wonder if we can find the unique advantage of such an international cooperation? Could this be an opportunity for "something" that hasn't been done before? An unconventinal scale, a machine that hasn't been done before, record breaking build time, ... I can't really put in words, but I have the feeling the potential is huge.

To be honest, I'm a bit bored with cranes and telehandlers are not my thing. But I'm very curious what the consensus will be. Maybe a poll could be a good starting point?

Someone has to build a murder saw attachment

I think a truck would be ideal! :thumbup: Before we get started, there are a lot of things to agree upon, regarding style (European? American? Indian/Arabian Jingle-Truck?), scale, colour, physical size (especially regarding the width of the model), number of axles, should it be PF'ed, should it be RC'ed etc. Once you decide these, one person can start working on one thing, and another can start working on another. For example, gearboxes with universal outputs for powering different kind of functions, front- and rear axles, cabin design, front bumper, suspension (might fall in under axles), drivetrain, etc etc...

A good start point would be to agree upon the wheels to be used! :classic:

Again; a shared dropbox folder would easily be the best way to keep things up to date among the parties involved in the collaboration. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also, there would have to be a "project manager" to take important decisions along the way, as there no doubt will be differences of opinions! :wink:

I think more people have a Google account than Dropbox so Google Drive would be better

We need to agree on the wheels, but telehandler or excavator is best, not a truck

Edited by anton1678

I think more people have a Google account than Dropbox so Google Drive would be better

We need to agree on the wheels, but telehandler or excavator is best, not a truck

May very well be, personally I don't use many of google's services :blush:

Why would a telehandler or excavator be best?

May very well be, personally I don't use many of google's services :blush:

Why would a telehandler or excavator be best?

Me and Anton can build a telehandler,while the rest can build a truck. :laugh:

There have been a few attempts of groups of people making a collaborative build but most of them fail in the end.

Me and Anton can build a telehandler,while the rest can build a truck. :laugh:

There have been a few attempts of groups of people making a collaborative build but most of them fail in the end.

Well, I can't build anything with more than one linear actuator, you have been warned.

I'll build the drive, you build the rest then.

I doubt it would work anyway, because I suck at LDD and I don't have LDraw, if that's any easier

:blush:

Edited by anton1678

What you need is a coordinator who will create the base model, then send it to the 1st person who will then build and send back the model to the coordinator who will then check it's 'buildability' and then rename the .lxf something like 'TCB (technic collaborative build) - turn 1' and flip it to the second builder and so forth until the last builder sends the complete model.

It would probably be best if you have a set number of builders and given the complexity of technic builds you may want to assign tasks to be completed on each turn.

Okay lets organize each other. First who is a serious builder ready to work on this project?

Secondly any voulnteers for cooridinator?