Transparency for Effect

Barring Duplo & Friends, has there ever been a black female Minifi

Yep, Stass Allie from that 2013 Summer Star Wars set and Storm from that 2014 Summer Marvel X-Men set.

Stass_Allie.png

Lightning_Storm_.png

Just asking.

The only place you would see an explicitly black female would be in a licensed figure. Of those sadly no, no regular non alien or mutant black female characters to date. In the non licensed they are all yellow. Choose a brunette.

Yep, Stass Allie from that 2013 Summer Star Wars set and Storm from that 2014 Summer Marvel X-Men set

Phew! Even though they're technically alien and mutant...

As a side note, the only non-licensed, Friends or Duplo black minifigure that was created and used in conjunction with regular yellows that I can think of at the top of my head is Vitruvius, so if they can do it with him then they may no longer have an excuse in keeping it just to yellows anymore.

Phew! Even though they're technically alien and mutant...

As a side note, the only non-licensed, Friends or Duplo black minifigure that was created and used in conjunction with regular yellows that I can think of at the top of my head is Vitruvius, so if they can do it with him then they may no longer have an excuse in keeping it just to yellows anymore.

The Lego Movie line is technically a licensed line and in theory may use a broader color pallet. Note Batman is pink skinned. So traditional rules do not apply.

It's actually alittle controversial to say there have been "black" girls in Friends, since the skincolor Andrea and Joanna used is "dark flesh", which is majorly used by tribal natives, and we're not sure if TLG would introduce a "darker" minidoll. Vitruvius also uses dark flesh, not dark tan. Duplo is the only figure type that have all three ordinary skin colors for ladies so far, as I can see.

9222-1.jpg

And if we're looking for real-world African people, Storm is the only African lady so far, despite her origin is fictional. It's more like a common problem in the film industry where those dark skin actress's seldom become the leading heroines in order to be in LEGO sets.

Edited by Dorayaki

I think in traditional minifig-land, everyone is yellow, which IMO doesn't quite correspond to any particular racial group so you could say minifigs are of generic race. Like others have pointed out, other licensed themes are a different matter, with skin color determined by character, and most minifigs being flesh-colored.

And if we're looking for real-world African people, Storm is the only African lady so far, despite her origin is fictional. It's more like a common problem in the film industry where those dark skin actress's seldom become the leading heroines in order to be in LEGO sets.

Well now there's Zoe Saldana in Guardians of the Galaxy, but of course she's painted green so it's not really useful in creating minifigures of African origin.

Unless Lupita Nyong'o is actually playing Asajj Ventress or another weirdly colored character, we might get another dark-skinned female minifig in SW Episode 7 sets.

It's actually alittle controversial to say there have been "black" girls in Friends, since the skincolor Andrea and Joanna used is "dark flesh", which is majorly used by tribal natives, and we're not sure if TLG would introduce a "darker" minidoll. Vitruvius also uses dark flesh, not dark tan. Duplo is the only figure type that have all three ordinary skin colors for ladies so far, as I can see.

http://www.ebricks.nl/webshop/afbeeldingen/9222-1.jpg

Actually the dark-skinned figs in Friends and The LEGO Movie are Medium Nougat (Bricklink's Medium Dark Flesh), not Brown (Bricklink's Dark Flesh, introduced in 2004 and discontinued in 2006), and rather than representing a specific race, it approximates a mid-range skin tone from various races. Captain Panaka, a black character from the LEGO Star Wars theme, also uses this skin tone, so it CAN represent actors and characters of African descent — just ones with a lighter complexion than, say, Billy Dee Williams/Lando Calrissian.

Some South American natives from the Indiana Jones theme used the slightly darker Dark Orange (the same color as the middle one in that Duplo set) and middle-eastern figs from that theme used the slightly lighter Nougat (Bricklink's Flesh, the same color as the lightest skin tone in that Duplo set). Light-skinned white and asian figs in System generally use Light Nougat (Bricklink's Light Flesh). No telling whether those figs from the Indiana Jones and Duplo themes would still use the same skin color today, however, because Medium Nougat did not exist prior to 2010. But in any case, no standard female minifigures have used an of these skin tones, so the two Reddish Brown minifigures in this year's licensed sets are the only two true "women of color" in minifigure-based themes.

I hope for more skin tones in LEGO Friends as well, but I think they started with Medium Nougat since it can represent a wider range of races, and have avoided darker-skinned characters so far to ensure maximum compatibility between both light-skinned and dark-skinned heads and torsos.

Edited by Aanchir

Well now there's Zoe Saldana in Guardians of the Galaxy, but of course she's painted green so it's not really useful in creating minifigures of African origin.

Unless Lupita Nyong'o is actually playing Asajj Ventress or another weirdly colored character, we might get another dark-skinned female minifig in SW Episode 7 sets.

If you want to get down to "women of African decent and colors not found in nature" don't forget Oola in Jabba's Palace.

I know my inner nerd is showing, but if you want to get technical about it, in every incarnation of the character Storm is actually African American. Her parents were Americans. She just ended up orphaned and raised in Africa in the comics, and that's where Professor X found her. Her skin tones would be along the darker end of African Americans, but not quite as dark as many native born Africans.

I wish TLG would produce some curly hair that we can use on black males.

Edited by Borex

Hey Dorayaki, am I imagining it, or is there a page in the latest Lego Club that features a comic character that looks rather close to your Avatar? So there may be hope for a bit more color among the Minifigs?

Ordering LEGO Club isn't available in my country, so sorry for not having an issue on hand. :cry_sad: I'm curious about in which condition would TLC use colored minifigures in official things, but I guess they won't be physical.

Edited by Dorayaki