Gabe

[GNAR] Barqan Dromon

Thankyou very much Robuko, Damaximus (hihi! Good to see you on GoH again! :classic: ), Brother Steven and Davidbarrena - i really appreciate all your kind praise and encouragement.

The ship has amazing detail and looks nearly realistic in terms of size and shape - like the crew could actually exist there.

The major selling point to me (and I apologize that it is not related to the ship) is the incredible water detail. The shades of blue work perfect and the waves are some of the best I've seen. Very well done.

Thanks Hawkman! :classic: No need at all to apologise - i always like to have some context for my ships, i don't think they look half as good without some water surrounding them. Making the water in this way is probably the easiest, especially for large areas. The hardest part is amassing enough blue plate, brick and slopes to work with... :wink:

Hi Gabe, thanks! Cotton Duck Canvas. Hmm, how would I translate that into Dutch ;) Katoen Eend Canvas I guess, but I don't think they sell that here. Recently I did a test with fabric transfers on a cotton baby jumper and that worked very well, so maybe I could also do it for sails etc.

Good for the summer vacation :)

No worries, you should be able to find it in any arts supplies store, many places sell it by the metre. Habadashery shops sell it too, but you need to check it's the right weight for painting on - often what they call cotton duck is too thin.

Wowzers. This is an incredible ship! Well detailed, logical structure, and BIG. (The "spacer" in me is asking if it's a SHIP.) :thumbup:

Thankyou kindly mrcp6d! The whole thing rests on a 48 x 96 stud base, so quite obviously not a SHIP - closer inspection reveals that it is precisely 89 studs from the tip of the ram to the end of the stern. :classic:

My word, this is an insane build. Very, very, very nice. Terrific work!

I have missed a lot while away, I see. This is so good, I can't believe you topped your other ship, which was also soooo good. Wow. Great work!!!

My word, this is an insane build. Very, very, very nice. Terrific work!

Thankyou, glad you like it!

WOW THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers! :classic:

I have missed a lot while away, I see. This is so good, I can't believe you topped your other ship, which was also soooo good. Wow. Great work!!!

Thanks heaps Ska, gotta keep the Kaliphlin colours flying! :thumbup: (in the wrong direction tho, as pointed out before, lol)

This is fantastic! I love that it is built without any hull pieces. I really like all the details, but my favorites would have to be the ladders up to the masts, the shields and oars, and the custom sail is incredible. My only critique would be the studs showing on the sides in the front, but I'm guessing you did this on purpose. Definitely one of my favorites, if not my favorite build of this competition!

This is fantastic! I love that it is built without any hull pieces. I really like all the details, but my favorites would have to be the ladders up to the masts, the shields and oars, and the custom sail is incredible. My only critique would be the studs showing on the sides in the front, but I'm guessing you did this on purpose. Definitely one of my favorites, if not my favorite build of this competition!

Thanks rogueang! Sorry to disappoint, but the ship does have some pre-fab hull parts - the viking ship one at the back and three ship bases for the middle section. (partly for stability, as it has to withstand transport to a show later in the month) But it's nice to know that those parts are not too obvious in the model. :wink: The studs-out thing at the bow was partly a deliberate choice - i had a very specific shape in mind to achieve and in places even a tiles difference in height would have ruined that, but also i am a fan of the studs-out look. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! :classic:

The shields, the woodwork, the decoration on the hull. :wub: You're truly a master ship builder, and an inspiration to get more into building ships!

((And about those flags in top, sometimes the speed of the ship forces the flags to go that way although the wind is from the other direction.))

The shields, the woodwork, the decoration on the hull. :wub: You're truly a master ship builder, and an inspiration to get more into building ships!

((And about those flags in top, sometimes the speed of the ship forces the flags to go that way although the wind is from the other direction.))

Aw thanks heaps Ecc! :blush: Yeah, the flags - idk, i changed them round and they looked all wrong because of the wind waves. But then, the sails are full, so idk! Maybe i should've stuck with lanteen sails, haha...

The GNAR has been a great contest for sure, with so many lovely ships and boats to come out of it. I'm just glad i made time to be a part of it. :classic: