The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

4 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

That brings the count for this batch up to a full ten! That’s never a guarantee - after all, batches with as many as 13 projects have had none approved, while one with a mere 6 projects ultimately yielded 3 sets - but I think it’s likely we’ll get at least one set from these ten.

How long is it likely to be before we get a decision on any of these sets? I assume it won't be until early 2019?

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

How long is it likely to be before we get a decision on any of these sets? I assume it won't be until early 2019?

The review will begin as soon as the deadline for sets to enter this batch passes (so, in just days now). And the reviews typically last a few weeks longer than the simultaneous batch is open (meaning there’s a period when two batches are under review at the same time, with one nearly done and one just beginning). I’d guess around early February, give or take a couple weeks.

12 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

When are we likely to hear the results of the last review period? I'm eager to know if they'll make the Flintstones set or not.

This one we can pin down a bit more precisely. :)  They announce the results for a review sometime shortly after they put up the last 10k Club interview for that batch, and they do one 10k Club interview each Monday in the run-up to the review results announcement. There’s one interview for each builder (or builder team) in the batch (so if one submitter has multiple projects in a batch, like RobenAnne last time, they have a single interview for all their projects that batch).

This time around, there are ten projects, all by different submitters, so there’ll be ten interviews. They posted the first on August 6, and just counting Mondays on the calendar from there shows us the last interview should appear Monday, October 8. The review results should appear shortly after that (a few days or so), so likely sometime the second week in October. :)

I've been busy this past weekend creating a bunch of new images of my Ideas project. I've added them to my topic over in the town forum. If anyone is interested in having a look then here is the link. :classic:

The staff at Ideas have announced another themed contest:

LEGO Ideas - New Contest: Create an amazing Family Moment! 

What’s it like to be part of a super family? It’s probably very rewarding and satisfying to use that super strength, elasticity, invisibility or super speed to help those in need around you! Whatever it might be, LEGO® Juniors want you to build and show us your idea of a day in the life of Disney•Pixar's The Incredibles!

As a Grand Prize winner you will walk away with personal artwork created by a Disney artist in a LEGO frame, LEGO Juniors Disney•Pixar's Incredibles 2 sets (10759, 10760, 10761), movie posters signed by the filmmakers, a unique LEGO mosaic and, last but not least, a $500 USD shopping spree on LEGO.com so that you can get even more of your favourite LEGO sets! Two Runner Ups will each get movie posters signed by the filmmakers, LEGO Juniors Incredibles 2 sets (10759, 10760, 10761) and a $200 USD shopping spree on LEGO.com.

5705803-Incredibles2_Grand_Prize-thumbna

Strange... Today's info from Lego Ideas website:
"We'll be offline Wednesday, August 29th from 9 am EDT (1 pm UTC) for about 12 hours. Have you built LEGO Voltron yet?"

Back to the future?

That banner has appeared at the top of the LEGO Ideas site again saying they'll be offline for 12 hours on Wednesday 29th August. Obviously they have got the dates wrong but I assume it means it will go offline tomorrow.

One of the biggest toy companies of the world and they are closing the website for the whole day... I'm always amazed how bad IT they have... (Yes, I'm pointing at you, shop@home).

Ideas seems to be online again, but if I try to sign into my account it says something like "Thanks for signing up for a free LEGO® Account" and asks me to type in a new activation code. Is this normal?

Edited by Graupensuppe

20 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Ideas seems to be online again, but if I try to sign into my account it says something like "Thanks for signing up for a free LEGO® Account" and asks me to type in a new activation code. Is this normal?

I had that too. It was acting as if I was someone new signing in for the first time. Anyway I did what it said and entered the code and then it brought up a screen with a load of blurb about new terms and conditions etc.

I really hope they aren't gonna make everyone do that when they try and sign in to Ideas. It's hard enough as it is trying to get people to sign up to vote, without this new obstacle being added.

Anyway it looks as if they've made quite a few changes. Still looking around the site at the minute but first thing I noticed is they seem to have altered the way that the top projects appear by default on the homepage. The clockwork aquarium is now top of the list. I wonder how they work out which ones to prioritise?

LEGO Ideas - Improvements to LEGO IDEAS, and a new badge to celebrate LEGO Rebrick! 

Today's website updates include:

• A new Staff Pick feed that shows both Product Ideas and Contest Entries
  • Lightboxes are back! This isn't new, but it's useful and we missed them after they were removed in the last release.When you click an image in an idea or entry, it will open a lightbox and you can view it full screen within your browser window.
  • Improved look for Contest pages including a full-width header and less visual clutter. Check it out on the Voltron Scene contest.
  • New Notifications menu you can find by clicking the bell on the top menu. Customize your alerts in Settings.
  • Color-coded flags for news feed items. Product Idea flags are yellow, Contest Entries are blue. We’ve also added a tool tip for context when you hover over them.
  • You can now disallow followers in Settings.
  • One Contest entry at a time. You can enter contests as many times as you want, but you can only have one awaiting a moderator approval at a time. Quality over quantity!
  • More Visible "Submit Product Idea" link, so you can more easily find it on a mobile device.
  • Improvments to Ending Soon timer for product ideas on the Discover page. If there's less than a day left, it now shows hours and minutes.
  • Minor Terms of Service update changing language to better support Contests.

I have info from some potential supporters, that they have trouble with getting activation code... Good work, Lego Ideas. Do something with yours IT, because I'm losing supporters...

46 minutes ago, parsom said:

I have info from some potential supporters, that they have trouble with getting activation code... Good work, Lego Ideas. Do something with yours IT, because I'm losing supporters...

If that's true then I'm not very impressed at all. To be honest they have spent the last few months trying to refresh the site and make improvements but as far as I'm concerned there is only one problem with LEGO Ideas. At the moment the vote process goes something like this...

1. Sign up and create a Lego ID.
  2. Click on email from Lego Ideas to activate account.
  3. Click back to Lego Ideas site and vote for the model.
  4. Answer a short list of questions about how much you think the set would cost, what age range would buy it etc.
  5. Click whether or not you want to follow the project.

Pheww! That's a lot of steps they expect people to make. It's not so much of a problem for hardcore LEGO fans or people who are already signed up to the site. But persuading casual fans to sign up and go through this process is pretty difficult. I really hope they're not throwing another hurdle in the way and expecting people to enter an activation code as well when they sign up. :ugh:

Not sure how they could change this and I appreciate that they need people to sign in otherwise there would be nothing stopping people from voting for the same model multiple times. I wish they could make the process a bit quicker and easier for people though.

9 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

At the moment the vote process goes something like this...

1. Sign up and create a Lego ID.
  2. Click on email from Lego Ideas to activate account.
  3. Click back to Lego Ideas site and vote for the model.
  4. Answer a short list of questions about how much you think the set would cost, what age range would buy it etc.
  5. Click whether or not you want to follow the project.

(...) I really hope they're not throwing another hurdle in the way and expecting people to enter an activation code as well when they sign up. :ugh:

And this is because they are "always working to make LEGO IDEAS a better experience for you".

Is it possible to change project name on Lego Ideas? Also - is it possible to change the main picture (or at least change how existing one is displayed on the main page - crop it in a bit different way)?

2 hours ago, parsom said:

Is it possible to change project name on Lego Ideas? Also - is it possible to change the main picture (or at least change how existing one is displayed on the main page - crop it in a bit different way)?

You can't change your pictures or text once the Idea has been submitted. You can add updates to the project profile but unfortunately the main page is locked down.

If you really want to change the pictures, title etc then you can request to have your project removed from the site as long as it has less than 1000 votes. You could then re-submit it with the new title and pictures. I see you've got nearly 600 votes though in a fairly short time so it would seem a shame to have to start from scratch again.

3 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

I keep getting 'The activation code is not valid, please try again.' What could I possibly be doing wrong?

I didn't have any issues with my activation code after I'd signed back in on Wednesday but it does sound as if quite a few people are in the same boat as you. 

I've just looked back at the email they sent me with the activation code and I notice that beneath the code it says it is valid for 24 hours. Have you been trying to log in for longer than that? If so it's likely that your code will now have expired. Are there any options to request a new code? If not I would send them an email and ask them to sort this out for you. Here is the email to get support from LEGO Ideas  support.ideas@lego.com

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

5 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I didn't have any issues with my activation code after I'd signed back in on Wednesday but it does sound as if quite a few people are in the same boat as you. 

I've just looked back at the email they sent me with the activation code and I notice that beneath the code it says it is valid for 24 hours. Have you been trying to log in for longer than that? If so it's likely that your code will now have expired. Are there any options to request a new code? If not I would send them an email and ask them to sort this out for you. Here is the email to get support from LEGO Ideas  support.ideas@lego.com

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Thanks! I've tried to request a new code multiple times, each with the same result. Will wait on a response from them. One question, though. Every time you go to login, if you're not remembering your password, do you have to keep doing this? It seems like a major hurdle to get passed just to vote. Especially if it comes up as invalid. Also, beautiful traction engine, sir!

Edited by Modeltrainman