Sign in to follow this  
DrJB

[HELP] Error in 42009 Instructions

Consistently throughout my printed instructions for the 42009 ... the beams (liftarms) are NOT drawn correctly. The voids between the pin holes are not there.

You can also see that in the PDF on-line instructions at http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/6070925.pdf

Is this an attempt to make the pics less busy? ... or a simple oversight/disconnect?

I believe it has been this way since 2012. I seem to recall the black tow truck was the first set that seemed to have instructions printed like this... I think the consensus was that it was easier to print/see what was going on.

Yes, this is consistent with all new instructions. Making the parts in the instructions look different than the real parts makes no sense to me. If anything it makes them harder to follow, so I'm not sure what LEGO is trying to accomplish here.

I am positive to everything that makes the instructions easier to follow, especially on large complex sets.

I don't see how it's a problem that the small gaps between the pin holes on beams are removed.

ya its inconsequential that they don't have the gaps. an 11L liftarm is still an 11L liftarm..... It cleans up the visual distraction of the instructions and makes it easier to follow along..

I am positive to everything that makes the instructions easier to follow, especially on large complex sets.

I don't see how it's a problem that the small gaps between the pin holes on beams are removed.

The problem is that the parts in the instructions don't look like the parts sitting on the table. My daughter recently built her first Technic set and was confused by this. She couldn't find the parts she was supposed to use for a step because she didn't have anything that looked like the instructions. So in this case I don't agree that the change makes the instructions easier to follow. I think it makes them harder to follow.

Agreed.

It's been like that for years now, its probably easier to read IMO and less work to draw.

I'm busy making schematics where all parts are on one axis and face one direction but i'm still not putting the fancy details in, just the mechanical factors like width of beam, and the pinhole spacing etc,no tapering or anything.

They are meant to make it quicker to build but may take some time to get used to.