Sign in to follow this  
woody64

We need SHAKO's

Those look great! Hopefully the hobby stores near you still carry the supplies.

If not, I'll just by them online.

I imagine the shakos will be easier to make. Externally, at least.

EDIT: Oh, I've sort of figured on a price. I'm not sure if it's the best, but let's try it.

Shako: $0.40 - $0.50 Each Bulk Lot $18.00 - $22.00 each for 50.

Sounds ok, I will buy some ...

As soon as you have a lot get ready for a large bulk order from me. (220+Shakos)

Wowie, that's alot. I'll have to give you pics of it to make sure you want to buy that many X-D .

Anyway, I'm off for a much needed 5 week vacation in Portugal. So nothing will happen until the end of July/august. To make it worse, it appears that I may be moving at around the time I get back. I'll just have to wait and see. I deffinately want to do this :capn: !

EDIT: Oh, I've sort of figured on a price. I'm not sure if it's the best, but let's try it.

Those are very reasonable prices 8-o *y*

Let me know when you're ready to sell some and i'll buy a few before i make a bulk order....

...errr when you get back X-D

P

Edited by phred

Hello Pirate and Imperial lovers!

Bonaparte alerted me to this thread and I wish I had known it existed sooner! As a big Pirate fan it never occurred to me that the Shako hats would be in this big of a demand (I was more focused on actual buccaneer accesories).

I've taken some time to read over all 8 pages of this thread and let me do my best to respond as someone who has researched these issues in depth:

Most if not all of the individual parts LEGO produces have a patent. This secures the design so that nobody else can mold/make it. A lot of the Asian companies do not particpate in global patent laws so they can get away with molding many of the clone copies you see in their sets. Also, patents run out after 15 years at which point anyone can mold/make the item for resale.

Of course, as LEGO fans we want to avoid harming the business and profitability of TLG in anyway possible. The good news is that so far, TLG has encouraged hobbyists such as myself and RedBean to make our own compatible accessories and also allowed such artists as Recluce to cast existing official accessories. None of which goes towards harming TLG, but rather encouraging the hobby and most likely boosting sales. I've spoken in depth with two LEGO employees who absolutely love our products and have recieved orders from a very high-ranking LEGO executive.

BrickForge simply wants to fill in some of the gaps and provide fans with necessary accesories to complete their MOCs. If a part/brick/accessory is retired it's a safe guess to assume we won't see it released in the near future. Also, destroyed or retired molds make it a bit more feasable for someone else to model after or make a similar accessory.

As far as cost is concerned, it does indeed cost several thousands dollars US to make a mold, and quite a bit of time to recover that cost. RedBean and I have streamlined the process so it's much easier for us to keep up with new projects without having to worry about recovering our costs.

As a matter of fact, we are working on a project right now where a Shako hat (or similar) would fit right in (the primary colors of this mold will be black and white). I think all of your other ideas are outstanding as well but at this time we don't have the resources to make them all, instead perhaps we could discuss the possibility of adding the Shako, or modified Shako, or different Imperial/Cavalry headgear to our existing project and see where we end up? My only concern is that we tend to stick to items that are versatile and higher in demand - so we can please a wider group of people.

I plan to bookmark this thread so I can continue to interact with your comments and questions.

-A

Edited by Armothe

Hello Armothe !!

I'm very happy you could join our discussion.

A quick check in this topic tells me that selling between 500-1000 shako's (initially) will not be a problem. But it's my feeling that once people are satisfied with the quality, many more will be bought (myself included!). They are used for army building, and armies need lots of soldiers! How much sales should you have to make it worthwhile for you to produce them?

Personally I would like a identical copy of the official shako. I already have about 400 official shako's and I would like to have more that look (almost) identical. Those of us who want can always do some modification by using some paint or glue some paper ornaments to the shako.

Thanks again for registering and welcome at Eurobrick !!

Edited by bonaparte

If Bricklink is any indication to you, once shako's in quantities more than 5 are added they sell imediatly like hotcakes and with prices at $4+ which is exceptionally expensive for a piece. Thus if you would sell a Shako it would sell even better due to cheaper price in larger quantities. I myself will eventually need over 500 more Shako's alone along with these other great Napoleonic Fans. A post on Bricklink would be a good thing to see how many of those fans would buy them that aren't registered to our fourms. The Skako is on 111 wanted lists on bricklink now 111+ people wanting more than 1 Shako a piece is a big amount. The is obviously more people that want shako's but those would be definates, especially once we spread the word.

As to versatile i've seen these Shako's on brickshelf used on Castle mocs, fantasy mocs, and space moc's. It's a great piece of headgear that can be used for a multitude of things.

Edited by Fordo

Ah, I suppose I was wrong about the interest being too small to get one of the big customizers involved! I doubt they'll mass-produce the official pieces though, Bonaparte, I mean the chance is there but Armothe tends to deal in 100% customs, though I'm sure whatever custom him and RB whip up will be fantastic.

Thanks for joining the site to help with this, Armothe. We actually have a fair number of customizers here, many of whom really love your work. If you have some extra time, feel free to introduce yourself in the Hello! My name is... forum.

I plan to bookmark this thread so I can continue to interact with your comments and questions.

-A

Thank you for joining the thread. When I was starting it, I was in the hope that the demand is that high that some of the producers of additional parts will be interested.

Due to the last infos from the other members it seems that the demand will be much higher then 500 pieces ....

Andreas

P.S.: And by the way: The minifig pictures on brickshelf are great !!!!!

Edited by woody64

As a matter of fact, we are working on a project right now where a Shako hat (or similar) would fit right in (the primary colors of this mold will be black and white). I think all of your other ideas are outstanding as well but at this time we don't have the resources to make them all, instead perhaps we could discuss the possibility of adding the Shako, or modified Shako, or different Imperial/Cavalry headgear to our existing project and see where we end up? My only concern is that we tend to stick to items that are versatile and higher in demand - so we can please a wider group of people.

-A

Excellent!

Keep us posted on your progress Armothe *y*

A modified shako would be perfectly fine for copyright purposes.

At the moment i need about 30 shakos, with intent of regular future purchases, especially if they're at a more reasonable price than at Bricklink.

The Skako is on 111 wanted lists on bricklink now 111+ people wanting more than 1 Shako a piece is a big amount. The is obviously more people that want shako's but those would be definates, especially once we spread the word.

As to versatile i've seen these Shako's on brickshelf used on Castle mocs, fantasy mocs, and space moc's. It's a great piece of headgear that can be used for a multitude of things.

Wow 8-o

That's a lot of requests!

I'm not even on that list.

P

Edited by phred

Hey guys, it does appear that there is a lot of interest in a shako-type piece. I'm not necessarily worried about whether or not it's immediately profitable; rather RedBean and myself are more interested in how certain pieces enhance others MOCs. The more people we can affect, the better.

Others in this thread have expressed interest in casting/molding this piece so I don't want to step on any toes here but I thought it might be a good idea to steer the conversation back towards discussing potential designs. My instinct is to come very close to the original design, but perhaps make the plume piece on top a separate piece that came in multiple colors (maybe add braiding around the front?). I'd be interested in hearing/discussing ideas on how the original design can be improved.

-A

Hey guys, it does appear that there is a lot of interest in a shako-type piece. I'm not necessarily worried about whether or not it's immediately profitable; rather RedBean and myself are more interested in how certain pieces enhance others MOCs. The more people we can affect, the better.

Others in this thread have expressed interest in casting/molding this piece so I don't want to step on any toes here but I thought it might be a good idea to steer the conversation back towards discussing potential designs. My instinct is to come very close to the original design, but perhaps make the plume piece on top a separate piece that came in multiple colors (maybe add braiding around the front?). I'd be interested in hearing/discussing ideas on how the original design can be improved.

-A

but why do that when there is already a shako? please explain why everybody is saying we need shako's when we already gottem?

but why do that when there is already a shako? please explain why everybody is saying we need shako's when we already gottem?

Shako's are getting rare and expensive. Not available in the quantities they are needed.

I suggest you read all the 8 pages of this thread before asking such questions !!

-A

I suppose you're planning on doing it in a similar manner as with the plumes in your own helm designs? I love the idea, as long as one of the choices would be black, so it could look relatively close to the original if need be. Slight variant designs might be nice too, to distinguish nationality (even though color could theoretically do the same thing...though color could also do rank).

Others in this thread have expressed interest in casting/molding this piece so I don't want to step on any toes...

I don't think anyone here can produce the high quality pieces you make, so don't worry about that (please speak if anyone disagrees).

here but I thought it might be a good idea to steer the conversation back towards discussing potential designs. My instinct is to come very close to the original design, but perhaps make the plume piece on top a separate piece that came in multiple colors (maybe add braiding around the front?). I'd be interested in hearing/discussing ideas on how the original design can be improved.

-A

I like the idea of a removable plume!

Maybe we should start by collection some pictures of shako's to get a better idea what they look like.

Here's a french napoleonic Shako (grenadier du 4

Edited by bonaparte

Shako's are getting rare and expensive. Not available in the quantities they are needed.

Out of curiosity I just checked Bricklink; 31 in stock. Looks like I would be interested as well. The pictures you provided seem to have a larger visor than the official version.

Adding a 'badge' type detail on the Shako would look great and, as for the removable plume it sounds great.

Here are some shako pictures, this, and this.

Edited by Fordo

Maybe he can provide us with a representative picture of a typical French and English shako of the Napoleonic wars?

To my point of view the french shako you have shown us is one of the most typical ones used in Napoleonic times.

You will find that that type of shako is also wearn by Russians, Austrians, Germans, Prussian, ... troops. But most of them use different forms and colours of the plums or cascades ...

Therefore the idea of having two parts will be great.

The typical english one ist also the one shown in your picture. All of them are smaller at the top. The original Lego shako comes to my feeling nearby.

Other shakos which would cover a lot of troops where:

"Kolpaks" (for husars and rifles ....) and dragoon helmets (which look also similar in all countries ...)

Andreas

http://www.britishbattles.com/waterloo/ima...rabiniers-l.jpg

http://www.military-uniforms.com/images/dhm502_small.jpg

http://www.napoleonic-literature.com/Amazo...vers/Maa181.jpg

Edited by woody64

To clarify, most armies, such as Britain in the Peninsula, Russia up to 1812 and Austria wore the Stovepipe shako or a slight variation of it:

uk_line_03.jpg

France, Brunswick and KGL Dragoons wore the bell-topped shako, which got wider towards the top:

French%20Shako%20007.jpg

British and Netherlands troops at waterloo wore the Belgic shako:

image006.jpg

Russian troops for Borodino and onwards wore the "Kiwer" shako:

kiver.gif

Edited by Mosana

To clarify, most armies, such as Britain in the Peninsula, Russia up to 1812 and Austria wore the Stovepipe shako or a slight variation of it:

You are right. A very good overview about russian uniforms and shakos can be found at

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/uniforms_Russian_army.htm

And for the austrians (from some pictures I used before I was in the opinion that the shakos look more like french then like stovepipe but looking at these I agree to mosana ...

http://napnuts.tripod.com/napwars/frameaustriainf.htm

Andreas

My instinct is to come very close to the original design, but perhaps make the plume piece on top a separate piece that came in multiple colors (maybe add braiding around the front?). I'd be interested in hearing/discussing ideas on how the original design can be improved.

-A

First off, to let you know A, I'm not too picky as to what your shako will look like;

as long as it's similar to the lego version (that you've already stated you want to stay close to the design of)

I like the idea of the plum piece being multiple colors *y*

It'd add more realism and distinction to each person's army.

Maybe make your version of the shako a little bell-shaped (but not too much),

so it could be passed off as a french bell-shaped or an english straight-shaped shako.

I think it'd be a good idea to add some braiding and other details into the sides and front of the shako.

P

Bonaparte alerted me to this thread and I wish I had known it existed sooner! As a big Pirate fan it never occurred to me that the Shako hats would be in this big of a demand (I was more focused on actual buccaneer accesories).

Welocme Armothe :)

I never knew you liked pirates

I love your MOC's(The jurassic park one was awesome)

You also have done some lovely custom pieces

Are you planning on selling any custom animals?

Like cows or sheep?

Thanks

Piranha

Edited by phred