Sign in to follow this  
SevenSeas

MOC: Small Sternwheeled River Paddle Steamer (Cuusoo project)

This is both a very nice MOC, and a good idea for a playset.

It has a lot of very nice details, the railings are good, the paddles are very nice and that bow is very well constructed. All of the interior detail, that piston in the back (a steoke of genious!) and even the rounded tiles at the vottom to slide it around make this a very good set. I have no doubt this could be used in many different settings, both historical and touristical.

My only suggestion would be to place the engine room closer to the paddles (or am I missing somehing here?). Also, how do these boars actually navigate, because I don't see any rudders. But ain, I'm not a boat expert.

I sure hopes this gets a lot of support! You've done a great job at making a model hat is appealing to both aduls as children.

This is both a very nice MOC, and a good idea for a playset.

It has a lot of very nice details, the railings are good, the paddles are very nice and that bow is very well constructed. All of the interior detail, that piston in the back (a steoke of genious!) and even the rounded tiles at the vottom to slide it around make this a very good set. I have no doubt this could be used in many different settings, both historical and touristical.

My only suggestion would be to place the engine room closer to the paddles (or am I missing somehing here?). Also, how do these boars actually navigate, because I don't see any rudders. But ain, I'm not a boat expert.

I sure hopes this gets a lot of support! You've done a great job at making a model hat is appealing to both aduls as children.

Thank you for your nice words! Here is a cross section that I found of a sternwheeler, which shows the boiler and firebox far to the stem, while the engine, which means the pistons I believe, is of course close to the stern. And a long long pipe connects the two. I believe it was done so for balancing reasons. So I had some historical prototypes for this.

These things had/have several rudders actually, placed inbetween the hull and the paddle wheel. I have modelled them somewhat, but my rudders are unfortunately not moveable at the moment, but just 3 pieces of downsloping bricks contrasting the general inverted slope of the stern. I wanted to use a certain trapezoid flag piece as a rudder, but unfortunately couldn't fit it there above the water level.

I do like a good boat model and this is an excellent one! Nicely designed it'd be suitable for modern or western era themes.

Nice work!

I do like a good boat model and this is an excellent one! Nicely designed it'd be suitable for modern or western era themes.

Nice work!

Thanks to you and the others above for your nice words! I will consider making it "western" themed...

That's a really nice project, I already supported it on Cuusoo. Really has potential for a Lego set!

Edited by ScotNick