Piranha

Ideas For new sets(Wild West)

Ya now all the good ideas have been taken :-D

What to do?

i think the next direction for this thread to take would be to take these set ideas and develop them a bit further. in writing or concept developing this is called "fleshing out"... perhaps you have heard the term "fleshing out a story" ???

i think what we have here, is not necessarily a limit on new set ideas... as there is an endless amount of possibilities. what you have to remember is there are multiple way to interpret something. and old west themes are not excluded. just think of how many castles LEGO has done. yes, some have been similar, but each has had their own character (some sets more than others).

------------------------------------------------

this is where brickster is right about the Ghost Town sub-theme of WW MOCing... it is a different take on traditional themes. likewise, there are plenty of "takes" on a saloon, or bank, or hotel, or whatever. it just takes some concept developing. this type of "concept" building takes the idea of construction out of the limited realm of, "ok i built a proper saloon, that

Edited by Brick Miner

Well said............

I like adding action features to WW MOC

It makes them funner and not so boring

One of the best I have seen in Lego was the Diving Set

Discovery station

When you remove the fossil the shark whips around and bites you :-D

Hehe that never gets old

Piranha

What I'd suggest yall do is make a new topic of this labeled part 2.Since the concept of this is changing from ideas to fleshing out I think it would work.

i think the next direction for this thread to take would be to take these set ideas and develop them a bit further.

(...9

but again, im not going to reveal any of that ;-)

- Brick Miner

Well said indeed. And I can wait. Oh thou master of sweetest excitement.... *sad* 8-| :'-( *sing*

Hmm Maybe a Part 2 thread but for now I'll keep it just one ;-)

Fleshing out would be interesting

For example there could be three banks

Each one is different

Wait what........ am I talking about :-D

EDIT:

Stagecoach Station boring X-O

It still is fun you can er......um.....hmm....darn

okee I "flesh out"

StageCoach Station:

Back in during the days of the WW,when you had to go somewhere,you didn't take a taxi instead a good old stagecoach.The station is quite old,on the bottom level there is the waiting area and the ticket counter.Upstairs is a empty room.Be careful,the floor caves in if you dare walk on it.Thats why its empty.

After exploring the station we come outside,there is some scenery and a rocking chair that moves back and forth.Here comes the stagecoach.Load in and enjoy your ride.On the way there you encounter the Blackfoot bandit.He is notorious for robbing stages.He takes the money and leaves starnded in the desert.

Includes:station with collapsing floor on top level,stagecoach that blows up when dynamite is inserted and 4 minis

Blackfoot Bandit:Comes from the blackfoot tribe and is seeking revenge on the white men for invading his land.He robbs stagecoaches and takes the gold of miners.Watch out hes very dangerous

Station Keeper:He takes of the station but is too old to be walking up the stairs so he never did get around to fixing theose floorboards.People say that if you go up then surley you will come down.

Stagecoach driver:He packs a six shot revolver and uses it whenever he feels like.Once a war hero he is reduced to driving a stagecoach but the towns people coludn't think of anyone more perfect to drive

Greedy old Miser: A tycoon,the owner of the BrickBank Co. He is so rich but yet he dosen't give away money or spend it on things like sarsparilla.Instead he keeps it in a hidden vault carved deep into a secret canyon.He wlaks around with a 38 special mini revolver so he can defend his wallet that holds the key to the vault.

What do you think?

Edited by Piranha

Well said indeed. And I can wait. Oh thou master of sweetest excitement.... *sad* 8-| :'-( *sing*
im actually glad to see people are keeping up on this thread... thanks for posting asuka *y*

this is becoming quite the thread.

...and it seems you have noticed, im a suspense builder with my MOCs >:-) its so fun.

--------------------------------------------------

well, i actually think that was a fine idea, if the target audience was an AFOL... we seem to like boring miniature replicas with no playability :-P

in all seriousness though, i like playability too piranha. i've been noticing this trend with most of the western fans on EB... its cool that we all like the playability, and more concept oriented MOCs.

im not familiar with the divers set you mentioned, it sounds the prefect feature. i'll have to check brickset for the instructions *y* im always up for adapting new action features into the WW setting ;-)

Discover Station, you say ???

StageCoach Station:

Back in during the days of the WW,when you had to go somewhere,you didn't take a taxi instead a good old stagecoach.The station is quite old,on the bottom level there is the waiting area and the ticket counter.Upstairs is a empty room.Be careful,the floor caves in if you dare walk on it.Thats why its empty.

After exploring the station we come outside,there is some scenery and a rocking chair that moves back and forth.Here comes the stagecoach.Load in and enjoy your ride.On the way there you encounter the Blackfoot bandit.He is notorious for robbing stages.He takes the money and leaves starnded in the desert.

Includes:station with collapsing floor on top level,stagecoach that blows up when dynamite is inserted and 4 minis

the action toy feature is a step in the right direction, P. and i love that you have developed a story behind why the boards are creaky. it ties in with the old man, perfectly.
Blackfoot Bandit:Comes from the blackfoot tribe and is seeking revenge on the white men for invading his land.He robbs stagecoaches and takes the gold of miners.Watch out hes very dangerous
wow, that is an interesting take on a villain... an indian. and though i like the originality, i think LEGO might have a problem with this association. but it would be perfect for an MOC ;-) i'd love to see this evil indian minifig.
Station Keeper:He takes of the station but is too old to be walking up the stairs so he never did get around to fixing theose floorboards.People say that if you go up then surley you will come down.
i have an idea for this character... what if he was a kooky old man too. like he has a dozen pocket watches, because he is the station manager, he is obsessed with time management :-D

that could give him a unique torso design, and his own unique personality in the LEGO universe.

Stagecoach driver:He packs a six shot revolver and uses it whenever he feels like.Once a war hero he is reduced to driving a stagecoach but the towns people coludn't think of anyone more perfect to drive

Greedy old Miser: A tycoon,the owner of the BrickBank Co. He is so rich but yet he dosen't give away money or spend it on things like sarsparilla.Instead he keeps it in a hidden vault carved deep into a secret canyon.He wlaks around with a 38 special mini revolver so he can defend his wallet that holds the key to the vault.

now, i think we are onto some serious set building... i love these characters and would love to see them visually developed.

thanks for expanding, P. that was really fun reading. and i bet it would be fun to physically develop !!!

- Brick Miner

Here's the link for the diving set I mentioned

Discovery Station

Hehe I got the idea for the Blackfoot bandit when a friend of mine kept calling Flatfoot Thompson "Blackfoot Thompson" :-D

Then I realized that there is a Nation of Indians with that name

I also mixed his charcter with the lone ranger and his indian friend

They got revenge and so does the Blackfoot Bandit

Good idea for the Station Keeper

That would be very funny :-D

Now all he needs is a catchy name

The stagecoach driver adds a bit of history too

After the civil war all the soldiers moved west to big towns like Tomb Stone and Dodge City

So I figured why couldn't one be a driver

The "Miser" I have in mind for quite sometime

He is greedy and is afraid to lose his money

So then I thought he should hide it in a secret location

A vault was logical so I went with that

Thankz for the feedback :-)

Piranha

Here's the link for the diving set I mentioned

Discovery Station

thanks, i'll check that out.

Hehe I got the idea for the Blackfoot bandit when a friend of mine kept calling Flatfoot Thompson "Blackfoot Thompson" :-D
:-D did your friend also think FT was the black-shirted bandit ??? cause flatfoot is actually the red-shirted one... as a teen, i personally, never caught onto that :-D
Good idea for the Station Keeper

That would be very funny :-D

Now all he needs is a catchy name

ya, i was thinking maybe something like this guy...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?M=tim003

The stagecoach driver adds a bit of history too

After the civil war all the soldiers moved west to big towns like Tomb Stone and Dodge City

So I figured why couldn't one be a driver

very true !!! you know your history P !!! a lot of men were displaced after the war, and had a lot to do with the shaping of the "old west" culture. i have heard this is why there was an increased number of crimes during this era... with no jobs, the soliders had no means of earing a living... you know, our old friends flatfoot and his two henchmen are probably ex-soldiers :-D :-D :-D thats an intersting thought, because they are so removed from anything resembling respectful :-D

- Brick Miner

Hehe although western movies are fun to watch they are not historically accuarte

For example since everyman who moved west was probably from the war

When a gang of bandits ride into town they would be shot up before they reach the bank X-D

The men that lived in towns were skilled soldiers and knew how to shoot and the young bandits were no match at all

Yes I know both the History WW and the fantasy WW

They show this program called WW Tech on the History Channel and it is very interesting to watch

I learned alot about the West just from watching it

Tomorrow I'll think of more "flesh out storylines for the sets listed here"

Thankz

Funny thing I didn't even know about flatfoot thompson until I bought the wanted poster from BL :-D

I assumed he was another nameless fig

the black bandit however did seem more clever than flatfoot

Piranha

Hmm Maybe a Part 2 thread but for now I'll keep it just one ;-)

Fleshing out would be interesting

For example there could be three banks

Each one is different

Wait what........ am I talking about :-D

EDIT:

It still is fun you can er......um.....hmm....darn

okee I "flesh out"

StageCoach Station:

What do you think?

Nice ideas, Piranha!

I like the idea of the stagecoach which blows up when dynamite is inserted. That would be brilliant!

The floor in the upper room in the station which caves in when you walk on it is a nice idea, too. But I think it doesn't go with the stagecoach station. In the station there are a lot of people who work and wait there every day. Consequently it's unrealistic that the upper floor is empty and so much rotten that it caves in.

The idea of the rocking chair (Do you think of one similar to the one in the Sheriff's office?) and the Blackfoot bandit is very nice, too.

That's a great idea Piranha! Great minifig ideas. I can imagine the set now... someone need to make a MOC of it. :-D *y*

We need a Wild Wild West- like theme. You know post victorian steampunk. Thats what i'd like to see.

I second that motion. I love steam-punk.

I always liked the Wild West theme and was disappointed when it was phased out. I really think it had a lot more potential.

I would really like to see sets based on historical events. How about a UCS Alamo playset? Things like Little Big Horn though would be a bit too touchy I guess. However, I think that Lego could make historical minifigure packs, much like they did with Star Wars, Rock Raiders, and Town. Have them with 3 or 4 famous figures from the West, each with a trading card explaining who they were. There are plenty of names out there that could be used, Wyatt Erp, Buffalo Bill Cody, Annie Oakley, Sitting Bull, Davy Crockett, and the list goes on.

More civilian stuff would be nice. They could really use a couple log cabins. Some new animal figs would be great, especially Buffalo and Vultures.

More sets with the cavalry. For example, a campsite would be cool. Little tents for the soldiers, making food over a fire and whatnot.

And I'd also like to see maybe something dealing with the Alaskan Gold Rush, although I guess that would be deviating from the Wild West theme a little bit. But imagine gold miners, sled dogs, and eskimos.

Hopefully, Lego will continue the Wild West theme again in some form or another.

I thought of an idea.

Renegade Rebels

On a square baseplate there is a tall rock formation.Behind it there is a camp scene.A fire,some cups,and a backpack.Three confederate soldiers sit around the fire.A union luetinent rides up on horse.

Includes 3 rebels,1 cavalry-man,and a horse.

The story:The civil war has just ended.Three rebels have move out west and are causing trouble.A soldier sees their camp and rides in to investigate.

Sounds very interesting.... *y*

And it reminds me on some very great comics by Jean Giraud aka Moebius.... :'-)

I really would like to see a MF like that:

blueberry18.jpg

The floor in the upper room in the station which caves in when you walk on it is a nice idea, too. But I think it doesn't go with the stagecoach station. In the station there are a lot of people who work and wait there every day. Consequently it's unrealistic that the upper floor is empty and so much rotten that it caves in.
yes, i thought that this maybe taking it a little too far, also. i would think you'd want to develop the station as a hustling and bustling place. that seems more relevant to the set.

though piranha's story is good and convincing.

I always liked the Wild West theme and was disappointed when it was phased out. I really think it had a lot more potential.
welcome to EB Brickadier, i love your screen name. i see your primarily a cival war buff... well that's close enough to WW, so i guess we will let you contribute to the thread :-P

just joking, of course, hope to see you around !!!

- BM

More civilian stuff would be nice. They could really use a couple log cabins. Some new animal figs would be great, especially Buffalo and Vultures.

More sets with the cavalry. For example, a campsite would be cool. Little tents for the soldiers, making food over a fire and whatnot.

Welcome to EB, Brickadier General!

To the first part of this quote: I would like more civilian stuff and new animal figs, too. Vultures and buffalo would be a great idea.

I know Lego made some grey birds for WW (especially for the Indian sets). But a vulture which has its wings effuse would be nice.

To the second part of this quote: I would like more cavalry, too. I made a set proposal for an army camp some pages before. If you want to, look at it and tell me w

I thought of an idea.

Renegade Rebels

On a square baseplate there is a tall rock formation.Behind it there is a camp scene.A fire,some cups,and a backpack.Three confederate soldiers sit around the fire.A union luetinent rides up on horse.

Includes 3 rebels,1 cavalry-man,and a horse.

The story:The civil war has just ended.Three rebels have move out west and are causing trouble.A soldier sees their camp and rides in to investigate.

That's a great idea, zouave!

I would like some confederate soldiers in the WW theme, too. That would make this theme more spectacular and would give the blue soldiers from the North (I don't know their name.) somebody to fight against - not only Indians.

To this topic: When there should be confederate soldiers, what about this?

WW Cotton Plantation

a cotton plantation, a barn to depot the cotton plants and a house (first floor: little office, second floor: bed room)

including a packhorse, some cotton plants, some boxes, some tools and two horses

minifigs: cotton plantation owner, his wife, confederate captain, confederate soldier and three slaves (one female, two males)

The history beyond it:

The cruel cotton plantation owner rips his slaves out. They have to work the whole day and get only enough to survive. One day, the slaves try to escape. But the cotton plantation owner calls the confederate soldiers which hunt the slaves. Will the slaves escape effectual?

By the way: If there should/would be confederate soldiers, I would like them closely equitable to the nice blue WW soldiers TLC released in the past, but with brown-grey suits and caps. Do you agree or not?

hmmmm... the more we get away from the WW, and the more we get into cival war stuff... the less interested i become. the theme becomes less romantic, and more political, respectively. and that doesn't sit well with me. im actually happy we never saw any confederate soldiers. LEGO developed this theme prefectly, it just ended to shortly.

- BM

hmmmm... the more we get away from the WW, and the more we get into cival war stuff... the less interested i become. the theme becomes less romantic, and more political, respectively. and that doesn't sit well with me. im actually happy we never saw any confederate soldiers. LEGO developed this theme prefectly, it just ended to shortly.

- BM

amen.

I honestly loved how the 'cavalry' started as a subtle addition, like in Gold City Junction. I started to lose interest when it started to head to a Colonel Custard vs the "Indians" type theme. I think they should have stuck with Legoredo and developed the Boom town more than the forts and the native camps. Although the camp is cool I just didn't like the calvary vs the redskins type concept as much.

Edited by Tyger

Well Well well.....

Lots of stuff to say :-D

Welcome Brickaider General :-)

Always good to see a new member

Nice to know another WW fan

KD-Thankz for the Feedback,yes the rocking chair idea did come from Sheriffs Lockup,i always thought that part was neat

the stagecoach blowing up was also inspired from the set gold city junction

Except instead of a money coach I made it a stagecoach

The blackfoot bandit not only takes the money beut he destroys the coach as well

As for the falling in floorboards I also think they might be a little too much(just a little though :-D)

Asuka-Thankz for the feedback,hehe and for that very nice figure

I'm thinking about building this one really

Now I understand what BM was talking about when he said that all his MOC's have strong characters

Now the next "flesh out" idea

Ambush Canyon:

On the way through the hills the money coach carrying the BrickBank Co's money was ambushed.By Who?

Why no other than the Blackfoot Bandit and his gang.They set the canyon up with dynamite and caused a boulders to fly in and block that path.Insert the dynamite into one side and the spring brick pops up causing a "explosion".now that the coachs path is blocked the blackfoot bandit moves in.Unknowingly he is being watched.He takes the money and leaves the driver and shotgun rider stranded in the desert.Includes money coach and and canyon that explodes also includes hiding spot above the canyon

minifigs:

Blackfoot Bandit:Same as in Stagecoach Station

Bandit 2:He is real crafty bandit.However not smarter than his leader Blackfoot Bandit.onetime he tried to have him hanged but the blackfoot bandit outsmarted him.He is responsible for coming up with plans and strategy.He is an expert in planning and knows his stuff.

MoneyCoach driver:A veyr nervous man he is.His whole family was shot and killed by an indian tribe.Ever since then he has been afraid of indians.He got this job when he was fired at his old job.

Shotgunrider:The shotgunrider is one good shooter(at least thats what he thinks).Too bad he always misses his targets.He his seeking adventure in the old west and figured this is the best job for him.

The Shadow:The mysertious one who is watching the whole seen from atop the canyon.He dosen't get involved.His idenity remanes unkown(for now at least).No one knows if he is good or bad.He gives himself the nickname "The Shadow".

Till Next time

Piranha

Sounds good to me, Piranha. A collapsing boulder

- BM

I agree with you, Brick Miner. My cotton plantation idea gets into civil war stuff and political themes. That's not good. I'm sorry for having posted this idea, but I thought according to the idea of confederate soldiers, that would be a nice idea ...

But it's exactly right: TLG did so a good job with the WW sets that it is a shame that TLC didn't release more WW sets in this style.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's hope TLC will give us some new WW sets in the future. I mean: Don't the Star Wars fans get sets which they would like to have?! That is not bad because I am a SW fan myself, too, but I think: Shouldn't the interests of fans of other Lego subthemes be regarded, too?! - I think so! And I think that it wouldn't be a too big risk to release some new WW sets because there would be a lot of people who would buy them - just look how much members of EB are browsing this forum every day and are very interested in WW sets.

The only thing which would be a risk would - in my oppinion - be if TLC would only release WW sets like a bank, a gold mine or a fort which have already been there. OF course another bank or a bigger general store would be nice but I think that - mainly ALFs who already have the most WW sets of the past - would be more interested in a Saloon, some Ghost City theme sets and in a WW train (station) set like this excellent one Brick Miner did as a MOC. But if TLC would release sets like these and abides by releasing some little minifg sets, some sets in the "middle size" and also some big sets (e. g. as S@H Exclusives) I would have no doubts about Lego having succes.