just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

After seeing the sets and then watching the trailers, these sets are so lackluster. Knowing that this is the last Middle Earth movie for a good long while, i would have made at least 8 sets and streched the battle across at least 3 or 4 sets for the ultimate representaion for what i'm sure is going to be a very emotional, epic and jaw-dropping battle. I know that LEGO probablly didn't have as much acess to the creature and character designs but i think they could have done a much better job than these four sets. Why four sets?! That is probably what makes me the angriest is how did they think they could cover such an amazing battle in one set?!

After seeing the sets and then watching the trailers, these sets are so lackluster. Knowing that this is the last Middle Earth movie for a good long while, i would have made at least 8 sets and streched the battle across at least 3 or 4 sets for the ultimate representaion for what i'm sure is going to be a very emotional, epic and jaw-dropping battle. I know that LEGO probablly didn't have as much acess to the creature and character designs but i think they could have done a much better job than these four sets. Why four sets?! That is probably what makes me the angriest is how did they think they could cover such an amazing battle in one set?!

Four sets because from the looks of it LOTR/Hobbit isn't selling that well..

Maybe a triligy of movies based on the Silmarillion will be made and lego will make a few Hobbit and Lord of the Rings sets to go with the sets based on the movie? Maybe? That's never going to happen, is it?

Maybe a triligy of movies based on the Silmarillion will be made and lego will make a few Hobbit and Lord of the Rings sets to go with the sets based on the movie? Maybe? That's never going to happen, is it?

It'll happen once Christopher Tolkien dies and the rest of the Tolkien family realizes that they love money.

It's really a pity that we only got four sets, and the biggest one of these sets is even based on DOS, so there are actually only three real Bo5A sets (+ plus the figures from the Erebor set).

The situation is somehow similar to the Return of King Sets, we got there just 3 sets too, although the movie offers a range of possibilties for more sets.

You want to know the irony of all this? The irony that really rubs the diehard LOTR fans (myself and many others on here?) This is the same crap that happened with the Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures Game (which I'll maintain to this day is the best skirmish game ever made, in figure quality, gameplay, variety, and fun factor). The Return of the King wave - the final wave - was produced in far too limited a release, had to fill some gaps from the previous movie, and didn't cover all of the bases that people really wanted, and just didn't quite do justice to the spectacular end of the franchise (well, the end of the franchise at that time). And here we have a weak BO5A wave that doesn't do the movie justice by a long shot, is dominated by holdovers from TDOS (TLMntn, the Laketown set, and the rehashes in the $60 set), and will likely never get a followup to properly finish out the trilogy.

I've given up on Gondorians at this point - I'd just love to see one more Hobbit wave of 4 to fill in the gaps of that movie, since Hobbit is more likely to sell since it's the current film trilogy. Bolg, those catapult trolls, a proper armybuilder with Elves, IH Dwarves, and new Orcs, Armored Azog (new print for his chest and new armpiece), armored Thranduil, a Sauron minifigure...that'd probably do it.

I'm still holding out for a Minas Tirith exclusive. A couple more Hobbit sets would be nice, but I'm satisfied with it for the moment.

I still think the original plan was two movies, so two waves of 7-8 sets each.

Therefore I'm convinced there won't be any other sets.

I still think the original plan was two movies, so two waves of 7-8 sets each.

Therefore I'm convinced there won't be any other sets.

Yeah, probably.

I would say that the only chance at more Tolkien LEGO is an Ideas project. (I'm honestly really wondering what could happen to the Minas Tirith project.) Non-exclusive, I mean. I'm actually waiting to buy BoFA and DGA/WKB in case there's a Bolg in December. I mean, LEGO must have done 1/2 and 2/2 winter sets in October and November leaving December open, right?

You want to know the irony of all this? The irony that really rubs the diehard LOTR fans (myself and many others on here?) This is the same crap that happened with the Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures Game (which I'll maintain to this day is the best skirmish game ever made, in figure quality, gameplay, variety, and fun factor). The Return of the King wave - the final wave - was produced in far too limited a release, had to fill some gaps from the previous movie, and didn't cover all of the bases that people really wanted, and just didn't quite do justice to the spectacular end of the franchise (well, the end of the franchise at that time). And here we have a weak BO5A wave that doesn't do the movie justice by a long shot, is dominated by holdovers from TDOS (TLMntn, the Laketown set, and the rehashes in the $60 set), and will likely never get a followup to properly finish out the trilogy.

I've given up on Gondorians at this point - I'd just love to see one more Hobbit wave of 4 to fill in the gaps of that movie, since Hobbit is more likely to sell since it's the current film trilogy. Bolg, those catapult trolls, a proper armybuilder with Elves, IH Dwarves, and new Orcs, Armored Azog (new print for his chest and new armpiece), armored Thranduil, a Sauron minifigure...that'd probably do it.

I would already be happy with Catapult Trolls, IH Dwarves, Elves and Thranduil

No need for new Orc's nor bolg

The last thing i'd want is Sauron

I'm still holding out for a Minas Tirith exclusive. A couple more Hobbit sets would be nice, but I'm satisfied with it for the moment.

I'm with you, it would be nice to get some more sets, but Minas Tirith feels like the only thing that is really missing.

What do i think about the things we could've gotten?

tumblr_inline_nf1rs0TFa51rpdgxv.gif

Edited by kevkipo

Actually, there are several Hobbit figures which are still missing and I would love to get.

Especially the lack of Beorn (as a Bear) and Bolg makes me really sad, because these are unique and important characters - I'm sure they will have an major role in the Bo5A, too :sad: .

Ironhill dwarves and armoured elves would be epic, too :classic: .

Personally, I don't need an armoured Thranduil, because we already got one and i would prefer other characters, which are still missing....

Edited by Balbo

Has there ever been a creator bear that could be used as Beorn?

Personally, I'm just glad they made Smaug. For some reason, neglecting to make the serieses main villon seams like something Lego would do.

Really my main wants are Bolg, Sauron, Armoured Azog, Armourless Thorin (BO5A), Bear Beorn. Then that would mean that every character from the franchise of major importance had been covered. MAKE IT SO LEGO...MAKE IT SO! Any exclusive sets next year that could incorporate them would be amazing.

Edited by legofreak86

If we're possiblt getting exclusives next year i'd hope for Sauron as he's the overall villain of the saga.

Okay, posts like these frustrate me because it'd be impossible to make an accurate Sauron without new moulds, which LEGO cannot make soley for exclusives. Bolg is possible, Thranduil is. Iron hillers maybe are, Ian Holm Bilbo is. Sauron in armour is not. Do I want a figure of him? Hell yeah! But it's almost impossible, unlike possible characters that are also important, like old Bilbo or Bolg.

Edited by Hypernova888

What do i think about the things we could've gotten?

tumblr_inline_nf1rs0TFa51rpdgxv.gif

This is my new favourite gif ever.

And yeah, Bolg is the only named character we don't have (other than Bard's daughters, who I would still love to see as figures, mainly because of the lack of female figs from this theme)

Has there ever been a creator bear that could be used as Beorn?

There's actually a bear fig in the LEGO City Forest Police sets that would be okay, though it would be better if it was recoloured black. Unfortunately, it only appears in two of the larger sets: 4440 Forest Police Station and 4438 Robbers' Hideout.

250px-Bear.png

Brotherhood workshop used it in their video

Edited by bungeshea

Could someone please tell me what the witch king looks like and if he looks the same as he did in the lord of the rings films. I am blind and as I have heard people call this one the twilight version I am a little confused. Is this witch-king a lovesick teenage vampire?

He looks more like he did when Frodo put on the ring on Weathertop in LotR. In most of LotR the a Witch King is a huge black robed, cowled and armored figure eventually donning a distinctive spiky full face obscuring helm, of the classic evil bad guy variety.

In The Hobbit films we have seen the Witch King in his more ghost like form. A misty translucent glowing figure of a tormented dead King wearing a four pointed crown with his face and hair visible. The Lego figure is of this version of the Witch King.

This is my new favourite gif ever.

And yeah, Bolg is the only named character we don't have (other than Bard's daughters, who I would still love to see as figures, mainly because of the lack of female figs from this theme)

I had another one :laugh: not a gif but a funny picture:

tumblr_n9kaknbe6i1r1niefo5_500.jpg

I like the Galadriel minifigure, but I was playing LEGO The Lord of the Rings a couple of days ago and I remembered how much I loved that design for her. I wish they had used it.

I agree 100%. When I first heard about a Galadriel minifigure, I was looking forward to seeing the design from the LEGO LotR and Hobbit games, so I was kind of disappointed when I saw that they decided to use the skirt piece. Still, it is an absolutely awesome minifigure, and I'm sure that I will appreciate it better when I actually have the minifig.

Edited by bungeshea

Okay, posts like these frustrate me because it'd be impossible to make an accurate Sauron without new moulds, which LEGO cannot make soley for exclusives. Bolg is possible, Thranduil is. Iron hillers maybe are, Ian Holm Bilbo is. Sauron in armour is not. Do I want a figure of him? Hell yeah! But it's almost impossible, unlike possible characters that are also important, like old Bilbo or Bolg.

LEGO can make new moulds for exclusives, they choose not to.

LEGO can make new moulds for exclusives, they choose not to.

I can also burn $100 bills but I choose not to. Molds cost a lot of money. Why spend that money on a promotional product. To my knowledge, LEGO has never done it. But yes, if they want to burn money, they MIGHT start.