just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

The Simpsons line came out AFTER Lord of the Rings. If you noticed, I said "still the contract was negotiated WHEN..."

They could still do that...

Lego negotiated their contract with Warner Brothers before the first Hobbit movie came out. At that time, Bridge Direct had the action figure license. Lego can't release a CMF series or something like this because that would be considered an action figure and encroach on Bridge Direct's license. For all we know, BD still holds the action figure license so Lego can't just swoop in and get it (nor would they probably want to at this point, what with only one movie left and what seem like poor sales with their Hobbit sets).

Lego COULD just do a cheap $12.99 battle pack that has a small build and a high minifigure count like the Star Wars battle packs. Those meet the building set criteria of the license. The only issue with that is it seems Lego's Hobbit and LotR license requires a higher brick to minifigure ratio, and/or a certain number of named characters in each set. I would love to see battle packs as much as anyone, but they just don't seem possible. It's a real shame too considering there are so many distinct factions between the Hobbit and LotR, Lego could of easily given us as many as they have for Star Wars, if not more.

You know what's strange?

Bard has a Scarred face

But all those times Gandalf got beaten up, the Balrog, Dol Guldur and what not. we have never seen a battle scarred Gandalf?

Not that i don't like it :grin: , i love Bard's character

we have never seen a battle scarred Gandalf?

I'm pretty sure we would have if we had gotten a Balrog set, but that's sadly not the case :hmpf_bad:

BTW, the giveaways at the Fan Expo Canada must be really unspectacular, I mean we haven't heard a single word about ANY of them (not even the Star Wars or The LEGO movie ones) :grin: While browsing through Brickipedia in order to find something about said giveaways (foolish, I know :tongue: ), I came across this nonsense in the article about Azog: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Azog An armoured version?? Have the editors even seen the movies? Azog is way to badass to wear a sissy armor :laugh:

On amazon.uk, battle of dol guldur for only 52.90 euros or 43 livre sterling! Very hood opportunity!

I was going to order one, but then I saw that Amazon.co.uk now charges for delivery (total 65 instead of 52), even when you're past a certain amount of money. This wasn't the case before.

So a passed up on it. I'll be waiting for it to drop on the German or French amazon.

Thanks for the tip anyway!

Hello Eurobricks users it is my first post. I am greeting with you :) !

Why did I make an account here? Because I want to tell you my opinion about The 3rd (and last) Wave of Hobbit Sets.

1. I agree with most of you that the best set in 3rd Hobbit wave is 79015 Dol Guldur because of nice and important figs.

2. Lake Town is copy of bricks from 79013. Only orc's hair are good.

3. 79017 The Battle of Five Armies realy disappoted me. We can get ONLY two good minifigures from that: outstanding Thorin with crown and armoured Bard in blue sheepskin. Instead of next Azog most of people would rather get Bolg. Who cares about little change in gundabad orcs face? The same print on body and legs. Legolas is trying to become Gandalf the grey. 3 Legolas in Hobbit waves is too much. Dain is nothing special minifigure. Recolored beard + too high decoration on helmet. What is the painfull? The are no Ironhill dwarves in the 3rd Hobbit Wave! There are no armored elves? We never got armored elves. Only with hairs or captured. The same with dwarves. We never got general dwarf. Only named dwarves... Look on bulding. Imo catapult in this set is useless. We have similar catapult from UHA. Ruins of Dale are so little. I think it is 250-280 pieces max. Ruins of Dale could reward us lame minifigures but with such number of pieces as Helms Deep had (over 1300).

If you read The Hobbit, you know that before the BoFA 13 dwarves baricated in Erebor. When orcs and wargs were close to victory, Thorin and his company had undermined barricade from gate of Erebor and attacked orcs.

So BoFA Set should have:

- 1300 pieces:

* 350 pieces for medium high dwarf statue like in the movie. For example part of statute can fall down on orcs.

* 700 pieces for gate of Erebor with barricade. It could be grey Gate (something like 79007) with random boards and rocks.

* 250 pieces for orc catapult which shots rocks.

- minifugures included:

1. Thorin with crown (like Thorin 79017)

2. Bimbur (fat dwarf) armored

3. Dain Ironfoot

4. Ironhill dwarf

5. Armored elf

6. New orc with grey torso and hair

7. New orc with grey torso + new helmet

8. Bolg

9 Beorn as bear

I won't put here blue coat Bard and Lake Town soldier because they would be in Lake-Town Tower set.

What do you think guys?

Edited by wetib

I'm pretty sure we would have if we had gotten a Balrog set, but that's sadly not the case :hmpf_bad:

BTW, the giveaways at the Fan Expo Canada must be really unspectacular, I mean we haven't heard a single word about ANY of them (not even the Star Wars or The LEGO movie ones) :grin: While browsing through Brickipedia in order to find something about said giveaways (foolish, I know :tongue: ), I came across this nonsense in the article about Azog: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Azog An armoured version?? Have the editors even seen the movies? Azog is way to badass to wear a sissy armor :laugh:

Who knows? Maybe in Bo5a he wears armour?

But indeed the exclusives are not seen anywhere...

- 1300 pieces:

* 350 pieces for medium high dwarf statue like in the movie. For example part of statute can fall down on orcs.

* 700 pieces for gate of Erebor with barricade. It could be grey Gate (something like 79007) with random boards and rocks.

- minifugures included:

3. Dain Ironfoot

4. Ironhill dwarf

5. Armored elf

8. Bolg

9 Beorn as bear

I won't put here blue coat Bard and Lake Town soldier because they would be in Lake-Town Tower set.

What do you think guys?

I defenitely don't agree, if we would get a different Bo5a set it would NEVER include "Bimbur" (?) That would be the last armored Dwarf we would be getting!

On an unrelated topic to the new sets, just though I'd share that I won a Lake town chase set for £25 inc postage on eBay today! You can find some great deals on there.

Hello Eurobricks users it is my first post. I am greeting with you :) !

Why did I make an account here? Because I want to tell you my opinion about The 3rd (and last) Wave of Hobbit Sets.

1. I agree with most of you that the best set in 3rd Hobbit wave is 79015 Dol Guldur because of nice and important figs.

2. Lake Town is copy of bricks from 79013. Only orc's hair are good.

3. 79017 The Battle of Five Armies realy disappoted me. We can get ONLY two good minifigures from that: outstanding Thorin with crown and armoured Bard in blue sheepskin. Instead of next Azog most of people would rather get Bolg. Who cares about little change in gundabad orcs face? The same print on body and legs. Legolas is trying to become Gandalf the grey. 3 Legolas in Hobbit waves is too much. Dain is nothing special minifigure. Recolored beard + too high decoration on helmet. What is the painfull? The are no Ironhill dwarves in the 3rd Hobbit Wave! There are no armored elves? We never got armored elves. Only with hairs or captured. The same with dwarves. We never got general dwarf. Only named dwarves... Look on bulding. Imo catapult in this set is useless. We have similar catapult from UHA. Ruins of Dale are so little. I think it is 250-280 pieces max. Ruins of Dale could reward us lame minifigures but with such number of pieces as Helms Deep had (over 1300).

If you read The Hobbit, you know that before the BoFA 13 dwarves baricated in Erebor. When orcs and wargs were close to victory, Thorin and his company had undermined barricade from gate of Erebor and attacked orcs.

So BoFA Set should have:

- 1300 pieces:

- minifugures included:

3. Dain Ironfoot

4. Ironhill dwarf

5. Armored elf

8. Bolg

9 Beorn as bear

What do you think guys?

Welcome to the forums! I agree about some of the characterization in your suggestion. Although, I do have a good first impression of Dain. Now all that is left is to see the movie to determine how well the Lego minifig matches the character. Agreed that Bolg would have been better than Azog, at least in my opinion. I will give Lego credit for covering almost all of the main characters in the Hobbit over the three waves. Bolg may be the only major character not introduced. Much better coverage than LOTR, but dont get me started :wink: I too would rather have blue Bard in Lake Town and not make two of him this wave. Perhaps replace him with another human to represent that faction. Then we get to Legolas, who in my mind is now the Jar Jar Binks of the Hobbit series. Armored Thranduil or an armored generic elf would have been so much better. I do not think the set should necessarily be 1300 pieces since we already have the $130 Lonely Mountain set covering the large set for the wave.

Speaking of Lonely Mountain, the description is now on the Lego website. I am saving some money so I can buy it on October 15 and get the double VIP points and hopefully the monthly bonus if there are any remaining by then. Does anyone know if Smaug is the largest creature mold ever made by Lego (excluding Duplo)?

Does anyone know if Smaug is the largest creature mold ever made by Lego (excluding Duplo)?

Yes I would think so although the dino T-Rex cant be far off and it might not be long before it is beaten by the D-Rex in Jurassic World.

When was it that the Hobbit sets started showing up in stores last year?

November, but that should not be taken into consideration, as the DoS wave had a December release date, and this wave has an October release date.

November, but that should not be taken into consideration, as the DoS wave had a December release date, and this wave has an October release date.

So, these Hobbit sets should start showing up at stores in a week or two.

Edited by Wildspeaker

As great as that would be, I think that's being a wee bit optimistic. The film is released in three months, and 79018 which'll apparently debut 15/10 is the only officially announced set to date. I'm thinking we'll see them around 1/10.

I defenitely don't agree, if we would get a different Bo5a set it would NEVER include "Bimbur" (?) That would be the last armored Dwarf we would be getting!

Ditto.

Bombur? Armoured? I think it would be more likely to see him hopping around in his barrel mech suit again...

:snicker:

Today was The Hobbit give away day at the Lego booth at Fan Expo Toronto. They gave away this set 30212 http://www.1000stein...ges/30212-1.jpg

I was able to get one. It was a nice surprise since you can't find this set anymore.

Ugh, That is the least thing i would go to Fan Expo for. Armoured Azog they said was almost starting to think they meant Bolg!

Lego negotiated their contract with Warner Brothers before the first Hobbit movie came out. At that time, Bridge Direct had the action figure license. Lego can't release a CMF series or something like this because that would be considered an action figure and encroach on Bridge Direct's license. For all we know, BD still holds the action figure license so Lego can't just swoop in and get it (nor would they probably want to at this point, what with only one movie left and what seem like poor sales with their Hobbit sets).

Lego COULD just do a cheap $12.99 battle pack that has a small build and a high minifigure count like the Star Wars battle packs. Those meet the building set criteria of the license. The only issue with that is it seems Lego's Hobbit and LotR license requires a higher brick to minifigure ratio, and/or a certain number of named characters in each set. I would love to see battle packs as much as anyone, but they just don't seem possible. It's a real shame too considering there are so many distinct factions between the Hobbit and LotR, Lego could of easily given us as many as they have for Star Wars, if not more.

Mmm they could do something similar to those microfighters.

I was going to order one, but then I saw that Amazon.co.uk now charges for delivery (total 65 instead of 52), even when you're past a certain amount of money. This wasn't the case before.

So a passed up on it. I'll be waiting for it to drop on the German or French amazon.

Yea that is a new policy the started using in april or was it may this year and it sucks :sceptic: . It was so great to get free shipping when ordering over 25 €

Unfortunately, there's still an embargo set up by WB/NL/MGM :wink: The pictures of sets 79015-79017 may not be published until October 15th, which is when 79018 is going to start to be sold. We assume that the other sets will be released on that day as well, but that's really just an assumption :grin:

Ugh, That is the least thing i would go to Fan Expo for. Armoured Azog they said was almost starting to think they meant Bolg!

It's not too bad, considering it's for free and has become pretty rare lately :wink: And it was Brickipedia, probably the least trustworthy LEGO website in existence since everyone and their dog can edit it :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Unfortunately, there's still an embargo set up by WB/NL/MGM :wink: The pictures of sets 79015-79017 may not be published until October 15th, which is when 79018 is going to start to be sold. We assume that the other sets will be released on that day as well, but that's really just an assumption :grin:

It's not too bad, considering it's for free and has become pretty rare lately :wink: And it was Brickipedia, probably the least trustworthy LEGO website in existence since everyone and their dog can edit it :grin:

:snicker: , Well my dog would be a great editor!

You know what's strange?

Bard has a Scarred face

But all those times Gandalf got beaten up, the Balrog, Dol Guldur and what not. we have never seen a battle scarred Gandalf?

I have one.

My son removed the head with his teeth. :-)

Gandalf defeated the Balrog, trolls and a bunch of orcs but he is finally slain by Son, son of MAB

Who?? Son son of MAB??

I have one.

My son removed the head with his teeth. :-)

Oh god :distressed: