henrylego

My Town Layout

Hi, I have been collecting modular houses since 2010, right now i have Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall and Palace Cinema.

Picture below showing how i arranged the modular houses altogether, and also i created a simple "Park" in order to create the litte "activities" going on in the city.

img_4219.jpg

I really think, when i get the "Parisian Restaurant", I need to "demolish" my gas station so that "PR" can fit into my city. Do you guys think it's a good idea?

Let me know what you think. Suggestion or Critique are all welcome.

Very nice! I only recently bought my first one, the pet shop. I think that the pet shop is much better looking in person than in photos. There is something that is lost in the photos, maybe it's the depth of the facades? Since you own so many of them, which one stands out as your favorite?

Thanks for the comment "mkeller234", sorry for the bad quality of the pic because I only used the simple pocket camera to take the picture :sceptic:. Guess I have no budget left for buying the decent camera.

My favourite modular is the Pet Shop, I'll try to post some close up pictures of Pet Shop, when I have the spare time to take the picture. :sweet:

I'm sorry, but I was not talking about your photos! Sorry for the conusion. I meant when I was shopping for a modular building, I did not think the pet shop looked very refined in the photos on the lego box and online. After I purchased and built it, I was surprised by how nice I felt it looked. Similarly, I saw a parisian restaraunt in person and was surprised that I didn't like it as much as I expected to. I was more or less offering my personal thoughts on the pet shop building.

Your photo is A-ok! :thumbup:

Edited by mkeller234

I wouldn't remove the service station, the PR could go in place of the market street set it would be a better fit near the town hall and cinema. :wink:

But that's coming from a non-modular owner and an open back city/town set purist ! :grin:

Nice looking layout 'henrylego'......Brick On ! :grin:

well "mkeller234", I have not yet seen Parisian Restaurant (PR) in person, as it has not yet arrived in Indonesia for at least two-three month time :classic: . But I still think it's the best by far. The part that I like most is the detail it has at the back of the building, which I think it will look OK in my city, if it is to replace the Gas Station spot.

"LT", I have seen a lot of your "Aussie" Lego city. I used to be an overseas student in Adelaide back in early 2000 and I have to admit it really gives me that nostalgic feeling in Aussie. Good work mate :laugh:

One other alternative...

You could eliminate the road plate on the near side of your park and move Market Street there. The open end of the Market would be looking out on the town green which would be kind of cool. Then you could put the Parisian Restaurant in the spot formerly occupied by Market Street with the patio looking out over the roadway.

Someone needs more space :wink:

One other alternative...

You could eliminate the road plate on the near side of your park and move Market Street there. The open end of the Market would be looking out on the town green which would be kind of cool. Then you could put the Parisian Restaurant in the spot formerly occupied by Market Street with the patio looking out over the roadway.

That would work! I would be tempted to take out the Market portion of Market Street and just use the building.

Dear All,

Thank you so much for the your suggestions and input, "Sin". When I have the PR, I will post the photos by:

- removing the road plate near the park and move MS there and placing PR on the spot formerly occupied by Market street

or

- removing the gas station, and placing PR facing to the park. If that's the case,I really think it might be better to build PR with the chimney of "left" side, rather than "right" side, so that it can add details when we see the town as a whole. However we can only enjoy the "back" part of the PR.

Well, well, what a dilemma.... :hmpf_bad: you are right "Wodanis", I need more space

Nice layout! I really like the idea of having one large open space in the middle surrounded by the buildings so that everything can be seen properly. That's something to think about.

This is a nice looking layout...I would love to see the park landscaped a wee bit more, maybe with some more trees and mounding, and street details.

This is a nice looking layout...I would love to see the park landscaped a wee bit more, maybe with some more trees and mounding, and street details.

I am now trying hard to put more development on my park :classic: . here are some close up pictures of the park.img_4385.jpgimg_4386.jpgimg_4388.jpgimg_4649.jpg

This is a fantastic start to a very promising layout!!! I like the format you have now, it looks great!

One other alternative...

I have to agree with 'Sin' here, I think that would be your best option especially with the market from MS spilling over into the park!!

Either way, I look forward to more updates, happy building :laugh:

Can I ask, what is the size of the table you are using? I am thinking of having a similar layout and am wondering how big a table I need. I was thinking of something like 2m x 1m, that would give me 4 x 8 32 stud baseplates to play around with.

Can I ask, what is the size of the table you are using? I am thinking of having a similar layout and am wondering how big a table I need. I was thinking of something like 2m x 1m, that would give me 4 x 8 32 stud baseplates to play around with.

sure thing. I think my table should be able to accomodate 4 x 8 32 stud baseplate. It is just that I want my city layout being surrounded by the train track. Hence, I can only use 3 x 6 32 stud baseplate.

I took a photo for you, the helicopter view of my layout. Hope it helps :)

img_4673_-_copy.jpg

img_4674.jpg

see... there are still some space available on the edge of the tracks

img_4675.jpg

img_4676.jpg

Still the view of the town is at its best if we see it from this angle :)

img_4671.jpg

That's a great start. I know the feeling of getting each building in its right place to make it believable, just went through that with my Modulars. Now, I'm onto the Creator houses for the residential side of things.

That's awesome, thanks.

Looking forward to see you city layout :blush:

That's a great start. I know the feeling of getting each building in its right place to make it believable, just went through that with my Modulars. Now, I'm onto the Creator houses for the residential side of things.

Don't forget to post the photos of your residential areas :wink:

At last, I have managed to get the Parisian Restaurant as part of my collection. I then "remove" my gas station and replace it with the PR. What do you guys think about the lay out?p1010227.jpg

Oh, dear where are the good people there going to fill their cars up at now ? :wink:

You might have to increase the size of your layout.......Brick On 'henrylego' ! :grin:

Your layout looking very nice (and look a little like my layout)! Its named "KimVille" and are always under construction (ucs?) Anyway, fun to see your layout and how it develops! I have about the same sized tables and thinking of only have the modular buildings, roads and a traintrack, skip all the small stuff..

Edited by Chilis

At last, I have managed to get the Parisian Restaurant as part of my collection. I then "remove" my gas station and replace it with the PR. What do you guys think about the lay out?

The Parisian Restaurant is far more suited to that location that the gas station. Partly because the Parisian Restaurant adds some height towards the front which is good as some stuff is hidden so you have to move to see the whole town. Also because it looks like a fairly nice old town/city square where no planning authority would want a gas station built.

The park is a good way of showing off your minifigs, but I think it could do with more plants and maybe a fence round it. A couple of flower beds (maybe raised beds) with some foliage plants (e.g. 6255) would really add to it.

A nice little layout. If you do MOCs, you should do a railway station that fits the style of the modulars.