Sign in to follow this  
ResIpsaLoquitur

MOC: Lego Movie Style Stephanie's Hovercar

So I decided to challenge myself: could I take an existing set and, using ONLY the parts from that set, make a Lego Movie-style 2-in-1 vehicle to battle the Micro Managers? I decided to try on the Friends set "Stephanie's Cool Convertible." Here's what I came up with:

DSC05532_zps6daf857e.jpg

The Micro Manager is about to get the puppy! Emmet helps Stephanie quickly convert her convertible into something that can defeat the evil robots! Will she make it in time?

DSC05533_zps6e496ef2.jpg

Front of the vehicle. I wanted to maintain a "car" shape while still giving it a sci-fi hovercar feel.

DSC05534_zps5bef575c.jpg

Side view of the vehicle. The hover-mechanisms unfortunately don't hold on very well, so I had to secure a lot of pieces around them to help stabilize them. Unfortunately, they just don't stick to the SNOT pieces very well--they were intended to hold the front and back bumpers rather than something this heavy. It does hold, but it's less "swooshable" than I'd like for the parts in the set.

I'm also a little disappointed with the laser-lamp. I definitely wanted the car to have a weapon of some sort, and I was worried that I was out of parts until I remembered the lamppost and the clip brick it came with. The best place to put it seemed to be above the vehicle. (If there were two lampposts, I'd have put them on the sides. With one, it seemed better to get it in the middle.) However, it rides a bit low, so Emmet has to lean WAY back to not get his head blown off.

DSC05535_zpsf34a38d9.jpg

The undercarriage to show how it holds together. I admit that it's a little empty under there, but that's what I have for the parts available. I didn't want to "cheat" by using anything other than what's in the original set.

DSC05536_zpsa97480ba.jpg

Here's what's left over. Most of this was from the wash station which came with the car. I borrowed a few pieces from them to make the cannon and to secure some weak spots. Since the real 2-in-1 sets seem to all have some leftover pieces between builds, I'm OK with this.

Your thoughts are appreciated! I hope you're all inspired to make some 2-in-1 sets out of your existing products. Go for it! That's what Lego is all about.

I like it. Great job :)

Hopefully next month is "LEGO Movie" themed here on Eurobricks with a contest to make a 2-1 build.

Edited by vriverajr3

Hopefully next month is "LEGO Movie" themed here on Eurobricks with a contest to make a 2-1 build.

I second that :)

Also, great build :)

I hope EB does a 2-in-1 theme or contest too. If they do it, I hope it's broken up by category, since Lego has a lot of sets in different piece/price ranges. Maybe it should be divided into piece-count categories, like up to 100 pieces, 200, 300, etc.

If EB doesn't launch something by February, maybe we can start our own event (not an official contest, just a "Hey, everybody do one of these" things) with mod permission. Any moderators out there have any thoughts?

I like it. Great job :)

I agree to both points. It is a nice build and would be a fantastic idea for a contest.

good job! you're able to catch the sci-fi feeling with what limited parts you have. i also like the idea of turning the lamp post into a laser shooter (?). the micro manager is pretty good too, except for those tan hinge, but i think you use them because you ran out of hinge in grey and black. overall, it's a good build. and makes me wonder why lego didn't include friends in that movie.