Off the wall

Limited distribution of 21021

LegoGal, is Sagrada finished yet though? I didn't think it would be finished for a long while still, hopefully before I am dead so I can go see it. I know there is a ton of it done, but not all the way. Still, I am good with that. We need a new thread really but I think we should put in a wanted list and maybe CopMike can represent for us.

Herky, Sounds like a great idea! I don't think Sagrada will ever be completely finished, but a decent facade and some small side walls would be enough for a small set.

Does look like a new topic and maybe time for a wanted list for voting. Moderator help? Thanks!

There is an official video some place that says Sagrada Familia is scheduled to be completed by, if I remember right, 2025. It is an awesome video, shows what will be built to finish it. I wish I had saved the link and I feel lazy to search.

Edited by Vee

Speaking of low release numbers... this set seems like an Architectural candidate... even though the set number doesn't say so....

I think it's also a limited edition and involves waiting in line for a long time to get one. The alternative is to get one off eBay or similar service. :classic:

LegoGal, apparently there was already a link, I just added to it in the Special Forum...interested to see your picks.

Speaking of low release numbers... this set seems like an Architectural candidate... even though the set number doesn't say so....

3300003-1.jpg

LH, I'll try this again as it disappeared the first time. I love this set each time I see it built on the shelf in our LEGO room. Too bad they used a black box similar to Architecture sets and that they severely limited distribution. LEGO annual employee gifts should be offered to the the public a year later, so that we collectors don't have to pay outrageous prices for tiny sets like this and the LEGO duck 2011, I think.

I love the box designs and outstanding books inside each Architectural set due to a lifelong interest in architecture and twenty years as a professor. It is fun learning the history of a set you are constructing. Barnes & Noble is smart to place the Architecture sets in the adult section of many of their stores. This theme appears to attract many folks who do not buy other LEGO themes …and of course many AFOLs.

The set in your post above LegoGal was one that was given out with $100 in purchase when our Lego Store opened last year. Day 1 was something, this was Day 2 and then Day 3 was a tshirt. I had already purchased this one off of ebay so opted for the other choices. I do think this is a standard giveaway when a new store opens.

Going back to 21021 I have noticed quite a few for sale on ebay US, but wow the prices are just inflated. Just very frustrating unless you have $200 to just plop down and pick it up...and for that, I would rather go Simpsons House since I would perceive that as having more value.

Herky, Thanks for the info. I have never been to a LEGO store opening, but had heard of this as a giveaway. Generally it seems that they give a three pack of minifigs for openings these days, and those don't seem very impressive.

It would still be a great idea if they would sell these premium sets after a period of time so that the resale market prices don't climb so high.

About the only sets I think that TLG should severely limit distribution of are those designed specifically for and given away during each insider tour because those people pay so much for that experience. Otherwise it makes more sense to offer the other promotional sets widely at reasonable prices maybe a year after their release. The LEGO store set above is the only set I have purchased that was given away at one or more points in time.

I, too, have noticed how fast 21021 prices are rising and am glad that I did not wait any longer to buy mine at $140. including shipping from Hong Kong. If MBS had not been so impressive in real life, I would not have made the purchase. But it is unlike any building I have ever seen anywhere, and in most of my travels I have studied and visited interesting looking buildings. I was a huge fan of FLW by age ten when I spent a night in one of his last homes, which happened to be owned by friends in Amarillo, TX. Architecture is a fascinating hobby and a major reason to travel the world. It is fantastic that LEGO supports this theme with such fine sets.

.. the only sets I think that TLG should severely limit distribution of are those designed specifically for and given away during each insider tour because those people pay so much for that experience...

My opinion is that the only sets that TLG should limit its distribution are the ones that were never produced. Limiting distribution of a set is evil, wrong, suspicious, bad, lame, hideous, etc.

Want to go for the insider tour? Pay the cost and that is it, there will always be plenty of people wanting to pay for it, even if they get no "gifts".

Still want one?

Move quick. These probably won't last long.

(I cannot believe I paid US$85 for this from a reseller and the hotel wants US$90! )

Dear Chris,

Greetings from the Marina Bay Sands!

We would like to inform you that we have the Lego sets available for sale. The retailing price right now is at SGD115, kindly confirmed the quantity with us and the address for us to quote you on the shipment.

Thank you

Regards,

Norberta T Quek

Retail Manager | Hotel Operations

MARINA BAY SANDS PTE LTD

10 Bayfront Avenue, Singapore 018956

TEL: +65 6688 8868 | DID: +65 6688 1535 | MOB: +65 9770 4670

EMAIL: norberta.tirtowalujo@marinabaysands.com | WEBSITE: www.marinabaysands.com

Edited by rollermonkey

Very cool rollermonkey, what was your final cost on this? I wonder if MBS has a bunch of these but it just putting them out in limited quantities as well maybe based on shelf space? I am going to have to see if I get a bonus at work, will then get it, but sheesh it will be hard to get it at this price even. I am stingy I guess. I also wonder if ebay is going to also see a new influx of these for sale?

Let's assume, based on the fact that this 21021 set, and others, have/had a limited production of 10k units or less, then let's assume that Lego is willing to make business, I mean, a new OFFICIAL Lego set, for anyone with enough cash to pay for the whole run of 10k units. So, if I create a MOC - assuming it is a cool MOC - and pay TLG to make 10k of it, it would be a good investment, right? I create a MOC with a cost of, let's see, 30 dollars, it will have the "official Lego tag", a bunch of crazies will get crazy to get it, because it is "exclusive, limited quantities" and will be paying a lot more than the 30 dollars that I paid TLG, then I become rich! All I need is a 300k investment. I can turn these 300k into a million dollar easy easy with the help for the Lego crazies...

Let's assume, based on the fact that this 21021 set, and others, have/had a limited production of 10k units or less, then let's assume that Lego is willing to make business, I mean, a new OFFICIAL Lego set, for anyone with enough cash to pay for the whole run of 10k units. So, if I create a MOC - assuming it is a cool MOC - and pay TLG to make 10k of it, it would be a good investment, right? I create a MOC with a cost of, let's see, 30 dollars, it will have the "official Lego tag", a bunch of crazies will get crazy to get it, because it is "exclusive, limited quantities" and will be paying a lot more than the 30 dollars that I paid TLG, then I become rich! All I need is a 300k investment. I can turn these 300k into a million dollar easy easy with the help for the Lego crazies...

CUUSOO projects give the creator 1% of the sales. Disregarding taxes and assuming the price is doubled (or tripled, however greedy you seem to think LEGO is ) your 300K investment would turn into roughly 6000 dollars. Don't know what numbers you're running.

I was conjecturing the dreamy idea that only makes sense in my mind... :laugh:

Lego is as greedy as most of the big companies out there which means: very much.

Cuusoo gives the creator 1% of NET sales. What exactly is NET sales, IDK, probably the value of the sales after discounting cost of material, production, designing, taxes, marketing, salaries, rents, investments, depreciation, transport, etc etc etc.

For those who were unaware this is the number one most expensive building in the world,

I think as an architectural feat it deserves a good run whatever the case!

Like I said before... Sands gaming corp. chairman and owner billionaire Sheldon Adelson probably picked up the phone, called Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen in Billund, and told him I want 10K of these sets to sell one at a time to my hotel patrons in Singapore.

I could actually see them limiting the sales of these to hotel guests... to keep them in stock, away from the speculators...

Edited by LEGO Historian

If that is true, Vee would have a field day with the fact that this truly is an "evil" way to do business in Lego sets. I really hope it is not...still, we are all small fish in the pond related to the folks who have the billions, limited edition or not, we just have to live and deal with it and hopefully pick one up like rollermonkey or on ebay. Good luck to all in their desired pursuit of 21021. On to the next Architecture set...whatever it may be, hope they let us know soon.

Like I said before... Sands gaming corp. chairman and owner billionaire Sheldon Adelson probably picked up the phone, called Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen in Billund, and told him I want 10K of these sets to sell one at a time to my hotel patrons in Singapore.

I could actually see them limiting the sales of these to hotel guests... to keep them in stock, away from the speculators...

Except we know it was also sold on S@H Korea, Legoland Malaysia, and Toys R Us in both Hong Kong and Singapore.

:)

We also know it won the worldwide poll to choose the "next" LEGO Architecture set.

Very cool rollermonkey, what was your final cost on this?

Via eBay, I paid $85 USD for the set and $25 for shipping from Taiwan. The original list price was roughly equivalent to $70 USD.

Via eBay, I paid $85 USD for the set and $25 for shipping from Taiwan. The original list price was roughly equivalent to $70 USD.

Seems a good deal. Still, that means 3.2 grams of plastic per dollar. Usually, it should be around 15 g/$, but with Architecture sets the retail average is 7 to 9 g/$.

Oh, just for comparison, you can buy silver at 1.45 g per dollar. So, your plastic is worth half the price of silver, almost.

That's one of the most interesting comparisons I have seen in a while...so this set might be considered investment grade after all, might change my thinking on pulling the trigger.

OK rollermonkey, you emailed the hotel, then you paid by ebay? I have to message you now.