kabel

AoM: Store Phase I - the grinder

Once Haakon had been a farmer with a small but very yielding farm near Mitgardia's capital Valholl. But with the advent of the elemtal terror he had lost everything: farm, wife, kids and youth.

Although not quite 40 yet, he had turned an old man over his grief. The only thing of value that he has left are an old grindstone and his two dogs, whith whom he now roams the streets of Thorshaven and her surrounding villages. A truely hard life, but at least he has some sort of income!

11134262164_16d4afd417_c.jpg

11131241723_8b18264ac7_c.jpg

11131054785_c30202e24e_c.jpg

Edited by kabel

Wow, that's a sad story...

I love how you can make such a small area seem so big, and I love how you did the windows. Thorshaven is definitely developing a recognizable look!

I really like that window design :wub: Neat color scheme on the house, as always, and the a mobile grinder is a neat idea :classic:

well thanks mates, glad you like it

as for the windows, I've run out of of all prefab windows, so I had to come up with something myself. I've furthermore always felt like there should be three wide windows. Somehow I come up with the best ideas when I'm out of bricks ...

as for the grinder, medieval grinders traveled like this from market to market. Often they had a monkey to accompany them and to attract more customers. I couldn't find mine though ...

BTW: argh, why does nobody tell me I made a spelling mistakte?

Edited by kabel

I agree on the windows, they are looking so good! :wub: And I agree that lack of some parts gives a boost to ones creativity.

You were saying... :tongue:

I like that a build can be small and yet have so much detail and life. Good job!

Fool's trying to comfort Jester - he's being sad over Haakon's misfortune.

Fool tries to make Jester see the sunny side of life and is convinced Haakon will find some happiness and good living once more :pir-laugh::pir-wink:

thanks guys

@eccs: yeah, I'm now going to use these kind of windows more often as halftimbered houses tend to have more sqare than round windows, but it sure eats into headlight bricks quite a bit.

@jodocus: I'm sure Haakon can be cheered up by fool and jester :wink:

I love the dog cart! I've never seen that done before.

This is me being pedantic, but there's an extra "o" in surrounding. :)

@LV: you got me there too, good thing my students never visit this site ...

@HB: well, before yesterday I too thought it was a new window design, but then I found out that someone else has done something similar before, quite a pity.

Edited by kabel

Poor Haakon :cry_sad: I hope he can collect enough money to start a new life in Thorshaven.

Nice facade of that house, and I must say that a dog-pulled mobile grindstone wagon was innovative! :classic:

A small room for improvement is that the gaps between the roof plates are showing a tad to much for my taste, a layer of black plate behind the gaps would remove that problem in no time :wink:

Love the poor story behind it! The moc is looking really nice! The windows are a great touch!

thanks a ton guys

@gideon: I think you told me this last time and I tried to improve this issue, appearently I didn't cover all holes, dang ... As for the grinder, going to medieval markets sometimes really helps getting inspired!

@gideon: I think you told me this last time and I tried to improve this issue, appearently I didn't cover all holes, dang ...

Sorry about the nagging then, I know you've read my comment now :wink:

nice looking house,

noice looking dogcart..

I always was wondering when someone 's going to make one of those.. since they were pretty common back in the days..

nice story at that..

i'm sure if our good fellow Haakon would travel will do good business in a town as prosperous as Thorshaven