afol1969

MLCAD Version of Jurgens' Ultimate 8043 Instructions

Hi all,

As I already announced, I've finally finished to transfer Jurgens' instructions in an MLCAD Version.

It was a hard and complex work, but I'm happy with the results. Maybe the instructions are not so perfect than other Technic freaks with more experiences, (I'm not common with LSynth), I've used my own way to create the PDF files. First I exported all pictures to see what to change, for text notes and arrows etc. I use ACDSee 6, wich can create easily PDF files.

As so far the first version:

https://www.dropbox....timate 8043.mpd

https://www.dropbox.... 8043_Ver.2.pdf

A second and final Version will follow if I've found errors or other changes to do, Suggestions and hints are welcome :)

Best Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Wow, thanks for the great job!

I have an 8043 in box which I've been saving for a special moment (and almost every part for the ultimate build) this makes it a lot easier!

Very nice work indeed, I was wondering does anyone know a printing service that you can upload the pdf and they send you a binded book?

Edited by JM1971

Very nice work indeed, I was wondering does anyone know a printing service that you can upload the pdf and they send you a binded book?

Not sure about the UK, but in the US, many places can do his ... including OfficeMax and Staples. You just go to their website, upload the PDF, they print it / bind it for you, and you go pay / pick-it up later. Very convenient of course.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US, many places can do his ... including OfficeMax and Staples. You just go to their website, upload the PDF, they print it / bind it for you, and you go pay / pick-it up later. Very convenient of course.

Thx, there is a Staples half a mile from my house, even a small english town like mine has subway, mcdonalds, starbucks, kfc :)

Edited by JM1971

Thank you Alex! My son and I are currently collecting the parts required to build Jurgens' Ultimate 8043 (we have the 8043 set and we're now doing our small bit for the sellers on BrickLink :sweet: ). Your instructions should make the building phase easier.

Today I ordered the parts from lego and bricklink, next pay day I will get eneloop AAA batteries and get staples to make a instruction booklet with that service they do, I will post pics.

Just to check, will the AAA battery box be able to supply enough power to all the motors like the expensive rechargeable one does?

High quality instructions, thanks :thumbup:

I discovered few errors. Here is what I found:

There is no friction pin on frame to attach the 15M beam on page 50. I assume it should be inserted on page 35, step 4.

Pages 51 and 52 Axle Connectors with Axle Hole 32039 are yellow, would they be better black? More common color and invertory would more simple. Rebrickable for ultimate also lists 7pcs of black.

On page 28 black pin inserted to 9M beam, 4th hole from down. On page 57 there is crank 33299 inserted to same hole.

Starting on page 68 rear part of the digger would be easier to add to model before page 32. Some twisting was needed to insert the assembly.

Step on page 93, the and 15M beam+2x blue 3M friction pins on page 92 should be inserted before page 87. 7M axle can't be inserted with out taking the seat off.

On page 100, all channels are marked as ch1.

Inconsistent step numbers somehow?

But these all were minor problems, just letting you know :classic:

Hi, Tech-Nick,

I thank you very much for these informations :sweet:

I've revieved the instructions, indeed I have to take some corrections. It's normal to make errors by such a complex work, it was my biggest project until now.

I hope I 'll find soon the time to upload an Ver.2 Update, because at the moment I'm working on the Container Instructions for the Wing Body Truck.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Is the joystick parts included in the mpd part file, also is there plans to add the joystick instructions to the pdf?

Still waiting for parts to arrive, looking forward to this.

I used the pdf version, it did not include joysticks parts. Yes it might be good idea to add instructions and part inventory for it too. So people would not need to hunt down instructions witch do not exist or put together a great excavator and find that he/she did not order parts for transmitter :sceptic:

But I did not mind, I had the parts and like to design things my self...

I Made my own version of it, I found the original had a minor problem, the linkages on the left transmitter comes to way in my hands at least. So I mirrored the linkages. The channels (1 and 2 out of 6) need to switch around on the digger too. I also added some support to the middle links.

Here is my version, it works nicely.

joystick.png

LDD file here.

Edit. We must remember that the original design is Jason Railton's.

Edited by Tech-nick

Hi Tech-Nick,

I use the same joystick control, so thanks for the LDD file, it's easier for to transfer in MLCAD, I'll make the instructions in further time.

Greetings

Alex

:thumbup: Looks good.

Here is details you asked in form of LDD: standard BB mod.

It contains all that is different to original Jurgens Ultimate 8043. It also contains lot of that is not different, because it was easier to model and you can look how modifications connects to original. I divided it to multiple groups so its easier to study by clicking groups and dragging them to see inside. Check out the groups tab.

Edit- To whom it may consern, this mod does not change motor positions or gear ratios. The performance and rigidity is same as Jurgens original.

Btw. I think It's possible to use PF lights with this mod too, you just power them from receivers, front (blue Ch) and rear (red ch), same way like they are powered trough the middle Receiver. You only need to replace the 1x4 plates with 1x2 plates. But I think instruction should not include them, as this mod was about "poor mans Ultimate 8043" in the first place :laugh:

Overall picture:

bb_mod.png

Motor and battery wires (exept slew motor) must be routed trough:

bb_mod_wires.png

2013-12-12_07.59.42.jpg

Important:

do_not_pin.jpg

Edited by Tech-nick

Hi all, first I want to say great job Alex and Jurgen between this .pdf and jurgens I think I can do this mod. I Got the 8043 and all the parts for this mod for my son's Xmas gift so we all know what we will be doing on Xmas day. I been looking things over and I have a question on step 25 it calls for 2 number 3 grey axles but in the assembly diagram to the right it looks like only one is used. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Just for information: I'd made all the corrections noticed by Tech-Nick, and myself too I found an mal-placed submodel in the instructions. Now all must be ok, I'll upload a 2nd Version in next days, with appended instructions for the joystick-controller :classic:

I have a question on step 25 it calls for 2 number 3 grey axles but in the assembly diagram to the right it looks like only one is used.

Thanks for the note. I'll place an arrow in the instructions.

Greetings

Alex

Edit: I've uploaded the new files, see the links in my first post.

Edited by afol1969

This is very much appreciated! With these instructions (even first version) I finally got myself to build this beauty. There were some minor errors of which you already know, but nothing serious. Actually it was more fun to build with instructions that forced to think every now and then. :wink: As opposite to current TLG instructions which are way too simplified to my taste.

Thank you afol1969 for your hard work, and of course Jurgen for making this beast and sharing it with us! :thumbup:

Edited by Meisseli

After getting additional PF motors for Xmas I finally got to rebuild my 8043 using Jurgens modification using MLCAD Version 1 instructions.

Build went well until it came to connecting up all the PF cables, even with not using PF LEDs I found it a struggle to squeeze them in out of sight under the body panels, but eventually achieved it !!

Found that when bucket or dipper arm reached full travel the boom twisted, so I have fitted two linear clucthes to the drive shafts to each linear actuators as per Sariels Technic guide page 84. Works OK without stalling the M motors or twisting the boom.

Blue axle pins need to be a fairly tight fit in the plain sleeve. Bucket drive simple to change but had to mod the dipper arm drive as one axle it used is a 5.5L axle with stop. A 5L axle was trimmed to 4.5L to keep overall length the same between the two universal joints.

Still wait to try this instructions out, ordered the parts before xmas and they took 5 weeks to arrive and even then a few were the wrong parts, the correct parts are coming in a few days, or at least I hope so.

Tuesday (payday) I will take to pdf to staples and get a printed binded book, I'll put up some pics if it all goes to plan and nothing else stupid things happens :D

YIKES!!!

£56 to get this printed at staples, double sided photo paper and 4 sets of knock off inks £20 all in, cost of printing this at home roughly £12 which is pretty good price.

Could I ask for a 300dpi pdf or latest mpd so I can run it though lpub to generate 300dpi instructions?

Thanks.